Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 09/06/2005, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Do not sell to bergzy

I hate to do this but I must warn others about selling to bergzy.

So here is the story, I had an AquaMedic metal halide pendant for sale. I was asking $200 + shipping. I agreed to sell the light to bergzy for $200 shipped. bergzy made payment via paypal using a credit card so I had to pay a $6.10 fee, but I didn't mind. The 17th was a Sunday so I shipped the light out on Monday and even purchased insurance for the light even thought berzy didn't want it. bergzy got the light, was in good condition, it worked, and he said he was happy.

Then on Aug 20th I get an email from paypal stating bergzy had filed a charge back on his credit card. I ofcourse can't figure out why he did it so I send him a message and he states it was an accident, his wife didn't know what it was so she thought it was an error. I said fine, just cancel the charge back please as paypal is holding my money now.

It is now September 6th and the charge back has still not been removed. I have emailed and PM'ed bergzy atleast 15 times and not got a response from him. If he doesnt have the money he needs to send me my light or something.

The only upside is that paypal has taken my side and stated that they will fight his credit card company on the charge back. Of course this could take months to figure out, and I could really use $200 bucks.
Old 09/08/2005, 12:46 PM
Moved On

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD, This is why guys like me cant sell anything for a fair price when I try to, and also cant buy anything without worrying I wont get it from the person selling it...To many scammers, it wasnt an accident, and if it were it would have been fixed by now in my opinion, and I was trying to stick up for someone else in here to and I think it was for not because they have been taking 2 months or something to do anything about the problems, and now I read this, man I have lost all faith.

Anyhow sorry for your troubles and I wanted to vent some on this subject as well, thats all, and I hope I havent offended anyone, except of course the schmos ripping us all off on the internet, the jerks.

Good luck with your reefs.
Old 09/08/2005, 01:01 PM
Premium Member

I forgot to add I sold the light on July 17th to him, he waited over a month to file the charge back.
Old 09/08/2005, 01:11 PM
Moved On

real smart ripping off a police officer
bergzy hangs out in the so cal forums so you may want to post this there. it'll get his attention
Old 09/08/2005, 01:13 PM
Premium Member

I have spoken to bergzy since creating this thread. He states that he had told his card to cancel the charge back and assumed I had gotten my money back. When he saw the thread he called his card again and for some reason they had not canceled the charge back, but the are now.

Only time will tell.
Old 09/22/2005, 01:33 AM
Premium Member

In case anyone is curious I still have not recieved my money back. I am on step 8 the final step in the paypal process where they dispute with the credit card company and will return whatever money they can to me.

Bergzy if you can see this, if I don't get my money back you better be ready to mail me my light and a new bulb. I really just want my money as the $200 would purchase some nice new corals.
Old 09/22/2005, 02:16 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Wow, I would think being on the police force and probably in close proximity with the justice system, lawyers, attorneys and what not, no one would be stupid enough to try to pull a fast one on you. Get him and hang him high.
Old 09/22/2005, 02:20 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Go up to members, under advanced search type in bergzy and hit enter, under find posts click on search. Looks like he is pretty active. I would pester him publicly on the threads he is responding to and see what happens.
Old 09/22/2005, 02:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Go up to members, under advanced search type in bergzy and hit enter, under find posts click on search. Looks like he is pretty active. I would pester him publicly on the threads he is responding to and see what happens.
That is a little childish, I will let the process run it's course with paypal and see what the results are. If my money is not returned to me then I will take action from there.
Old 09/22/2005, 01:47 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Call it what you want, just offering up a suggestion. Just may work.
Old 09/23/2005, 05:46 AM
Just an Average Joe

Hi,
I'm sorry that all of this has happened.
I just wanted to say that I was personally at Bergzi's house last week to pickup some minor items that he was giving away through RC.
I've never met him previously, but I did stay and chat for almost an hour that day as he showed me his tank and reef system.

Here are my unbiased observations based on this encounter:
1. He is seemingly intelligent and well-spoken.
2. He is a professional (a dentist I believe).
3. He lives in a very nice neighborhood and home.
4. He seems to be family oriented and of good moral character.
5. He appears well-organized and portrays a happy demeanor.

In my humble opinion, I don't think that you are dealing with a "flake" so to speak. I think there was a breakdown in communication somewhere that unfortunately set this thing in motion...and now, the financial institutions are dragging their feet.

I would be very frustrated if I were in your place too, but to sum it all up, I don't think this is a case of fraud, spite, or ill-will.

I hope this information helps at least a little, and...
Thanks for listening to my rambling
Kevin T. Adams
Old 09/23/2005, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

I feel better when I get my money back.
Old 09/24/2005, 04:01 PM
Brother Maynard

hello adam,

this thread was just brought to my attention.

i have called american express (which my paypal is connected to) i dont know how many times already on this issue.

your paypal charge, american express says, was credited it back to paypal aug 18th.

since AUG 18TH, i have contacted american express, just for you, several, several times to ask if the amount was sent back to paypal. each time, american express tell me that the money has been sent back to paypal.

in addition to this, i have replied to your pm's and left my personal phone number to get a hold of me with any questions or frustrations that you may have. not once did you ever call me nor leave a phone number to contact you.

to repeat myself, i have contacted american express several times for you with each call reassuring me that the money has been sent back to paypal. i asked american express on how should you get your money back. amex said for you to contact paypal.

first, i would like to apologize about the charge back on your item from paypal. as i told you, my wife does the bills and she did not recognize the charge, so the first thing she does is put a dispute and question on it. believe me, i have been the victim of a lot of fraud and identity theft so, though i know it is and still is a huge inconvience for you, i understand why she did what she did.

second, again, i know this is inconvient for you, but amex said that you have to contact paypal in order to get your money back. amex told me that the dispute was closed and the money was sent back on aug 18th with a 'resolved' conclusion attached to it.

third, i would appreciate direct person to person contact on matters like this. i feel that this 'flaming and ranting' is immature and unprofessional at best. i understand your frustration but at the same time, i feel that your behavior is a little immature.

fourth, i have not received any correspondance from you since september 8th. i am a pretty busy guy and i value my time off. BUT if you or someone else is upset with me, i feel the mature and proper thing to do is continue correspondance until the disagreement is resolved. what good does it do for you to rant about me for two weeks without my knowledge. forget about how it makes me look. how does it make you look when i am finally aware that this is has been going on and explain step by step on what has been happening. though i know that it is a total hassle for you, i feel that i have been doing my part up to this point. i would appreciate it if, first, you would contact paypal and see what in the heck is happening and then me on this matter. again, to repeat myself...amex has informed me that they sent the money back to paypal on august 18th.

Ben.
Old 09/24/2005, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

There is no flaming, just me stating what has happened. I still don't have my money, so you can say the issue has been resolved, but I don't have my money.

I never called because what good will it do?

I am sure this thread makes you look bad, and in the future I am sure people will think twice about selling to you, but that is the whole pupose of this forum.
Old 09/24/2005, 10:49 PM
2005 AL West Champs

not to take sides here but i have personally sold to bergzy 2 different times. Once sold him 150lb s of lr and just last week a 110 uniquarium. I have also been to his house and chatted and bought coral from him. Lets not jump the gun and flame each other as creditcard companies do mess-up once in awhile. I know Ben would do everything in his power to make this transaction right.

this is just my 2 cents

Jason
Old 09/25/2005, 02:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jaypainter24
not to take sides here but i have personally sold to bergzy 2 different times. Once sold him 150lb s of lr and just last week a 110 uniquarium. I have also been to his house and chatted and bought coral from him. Lets not jump the gun and flame each other as creditcard companies do mess-up once in awhile. I know Ben would do everything in his power to make this transaction right.

this is just my 2 cents

Jason
I never flamed anyone, and a credit card company never made a mistake, Ben intiated the charge back.
Old 09/25/2005, 07:03 AM
Registered Member

I don't understand why if you knew your Wife had disputed charges in the past, that you did not advise her of this purchase. Why didn't she consult with you about the charge before disputing it? Makes no sense to me. This is why we lose sellers on this forumn.. I would not sell again after the hassle and inconvenience. Also, I see nothing "immature" or "unprofessional" regarding Adam's behavior. He is the one out of $200 for over a month not to mention the hassle of the phone calls, etc.
Old 10/22/2005, 05:16 AM
w00000000000t

u get your money back yet?
Old 10/22/2005, 09:22 AM
Premium Member

Yes I got my money back. Paypal finally released the funds.
Old 10/25/2005, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

So glad to hear you got your money. Yippe..
Old 10/25/2005, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

So who is the bad guy in this one? PayPal?
Old 10/25/2005, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

NO bergzy filled the charge back not paypal.
Old 10/25/2005, 08:00 PM
Brother Maynard

it is amazing how something that is supposed to be simple turns out to be complicated. in addition, it is also amazing how easy it is to say things that are ill informed at best.

if anyone knew how financial institutions work, one would realize that their main interest is themsleves.

as i have said before, i spend a lot of money, something i dont mention because it is uncalled for but i will say it in this situation. as i spend more money in a month than most people make in a year (cost of running an office etc.), there are a lot of charges on my credit cards. as i have said before, with all this financial activity, i have and still am subject to a lot of fraudulent charges. i usually get one or two per month. i, or my wife, regularly call credit card companies to question charges etc.

as i called amex, they said they have the 'right' to hold funds when a charge back for several months. what does this mean, they can legally not pay, hold the money, collect interest, re-invest etc. that is amex. paypal, if anyone cares to know, can legally hold funds for 75 days.

again, i can only apologize so many times for filing the charge back, and i will cease to do so. i am in no way responsible for the slowness of amex or paypal in returning your money. if you have a gripe with how fast your money was returned to you, you should take up your complaint with paypal. i am tired of hearing about how i didnt pay you back or was trying to rip you off etc. all my phone calls to amex and paypal should be registered. if you are curious to how much time and effort i went to get your money back to you, you are more than welcome to call them and ask.

i am happy that you finally got your money. it is too bad that this transactions went this way. i have purchased tens of thousands worth of equipment and livestock through reef central contacts, yes, tens of thousands...you read that correctly. if anyone even needs to question my integrity, i am more than happy to list the people i have purchased from, including two police officers...so, trust me, i do not have any fear of the police.

Ben.
Old 10/25/2005, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Wow, I never said anything bad about you in this whole thread. I, unlike you don't have a lot of money to spend on my tank, so when $200 of my money is held for 3 months it hurts my pocket book. While I understand the credit card company and paypal were slow to return the money, there never would have been a problem if a charge back had not been filed.

But it is over and done with now, I have my money you have your light. I mad this thread simply to inform other sellers that they should be careful when selling to you.

Ok well I am done, you all have a nice day.