Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish

Old 07/28/2004, 02:54 PM
Lazy reefer

You can use any of these pictures

Old 07/28/2004, 04:05 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

Thanks, I hope they keep coming so I can get something up.
DLCKWOOD

David Lockwood
Old 07/30/2004, 01:42 PM
Reef Central Sponsor

Here are a few pics for you...

A. Ocellaris (juveniles, Captive bred)

A. Melanopus (Coral Sea Cinimon, Captive Bred, ORA)

Premnas biaculeatus (Gold Stipe Maroon, WC, Juvenile)

Adult Male with Clutch

Hope this helps, I will get more if needed. I also have a Clarkii pair, but no nice pics yet. Also Pics of 35 day old juveniles if wanted.
Old 08/08/2004, 11:08 PM
Registered Member

Clownfish pictures.

I noticed the dates on these folks that could only see red x's has been quite a while but I was looking at them just now and they came through with flying colors. Very nice. I haven't finished reading the thread yet though. Maybe someone did something to make it work better by now. Oops, maybe I spoke to soon, I was scrolling down just now to the bottom of this page and found more pictures of clownfish with anenomes and there was some of them that I couldn't see, they only had red x's.
Old 08/08/2004, 11:17 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

The original problem was solved by paying for more bandwidth. Anything that is showing up with x's now is because someone else is out of bandwidth or they have removed their pictures.
David

David Lockwood
Old 08/09/2004, 02:09 AM
Yeah, it does say Horkn

awesome, now i am trying to figure out whether the pink or the orange skunk are from fiji?i think its the orange.. and the other clown from fiji area...i think its the orange finned clown...
Old 08/10/2004, 09:50 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Captive Bred Yellow Striped Maroon with Rose BTA

Old 08/12/2004, 03:52 PM
Registered Member

How can tell the different between Perc. from Salomon Island and Onyx Perc.?
Old 08/13/2004, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

Onyx will have no black between any of the bars when they are adults, and IME the dorsal will be black. As juvies the dorsal will be orange, and there will be some orange between the middle and 3rd bar if they are still juvies. Solomon will have orange between the second and 3rd bar even as adults.
Old 08/13/2004, 10:50 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod Buehler
Onyx will have no black between any of the bars when they are adults, and IME the dorsal will be black. As juvies the dorsal will be orange, and there will be some orange between the middle and 3rd bar if they are still juvies. Solomon will have orange between the second and 3rd bar even as adults.

Is onyx an actualy type of clownfish.. I was under the impression it's just a name given by a dealer to indentify true percs with "more black" then usally.
Old 08/14/2004, 09:23 AM
Marine Aquarist

My digital camera died, so I can't post any pictures.
Old 08/23/2004, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by angiras
[B]great thread dlckwood.

I agree
Rob
Old 08/23/2004, 03:31 PM
Rare Clownfish Freak

Quote:
Originally posted by brahm
Is onyx an actualy type of clownfish.. I was under the impression it's just a name given by a dealer to indentify true percs with "more black" then usally.
Onyx is a variant of A. percula.

The term "onyx" was coined by CQuest many years ago to identify a variant of A. percula they were breeding. At the time they claimed that they had selectively bred A. percula from the Solomon Islands to achive the complete back markings between the head and tail bars.

Since then we know that was not the turth and that this variant is naturally occuring in both fish from the Solomon Islands and from PNG.
Old 08/23/2004, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

*Hands UP* ''I'm New''
Could anyone tell me the name of the anemone in the top picture dated 31.1.2004 and it's difficulty to keep.
Thankyou
Old 08/23/2004, 04:08 PM
Premium Member

H. Magnifica, it's one of the hardest to keep.
Old 08/23/2004, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

iF I WERE TO DEDIDICATE MY AQUARIUM TO KEEPING IT AND A PAIR OF CLARKS CLOWNS. wOULD IT BE FEASABLE AND FAIR ON THE ANEMONE. !75l AQUARIUM.???
Old 08/24/2004, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JHardman
Onyx is a variant of A. percula.

The term "onyx" was coined by CQuest many years ago to identify a variant of A. percula they were breeding. At the time they claimed that they had selectively bred A. percula from the Solomon Islands to achive the complete back markings between the head and tail bars.

Since then we know that was not the turth and that this variant is naturally occuring in both fish from the Solomon Islands and from PNG.
The "Onyx" the Cquest coined have black dorsals and no orange between either of the bars.. The clown coming from SI and PNG have orange dorsals, and most have orange between the center and tail bar. IMO, they are not Onyx.

I still beleive that they (Cquest) have selectively bred a recessive gene that still breeds true, and the others coming in do not have that gene. My pair produces fri with black dorsals and no orange between the bars. The black is also much more vibrant. Just like the Cquest clowns.
Old 08/24/2004, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

At the top of page 5 in this thread, there is a pic of Minh beautiful clowns. Does anyone consider them to be onyx?
Old 08/24/2004, 09:30 AM
Extreme Reefer

O´nyx

Noun 1. onyx - a chalcedony with alternating black and white bands; used in making cameos

Based on the actual definition it would be only black and white. Any orange on the fish wouldn't = Onyx.

It is like saying a black lab with a white spot on it's chest is a Domino Lab. Then people would be arguing over where the spot was and how big it had to be to qualify it as a domino lab. What if it had 2 white spots instead of 1? Would it be a double domino lab?

Onyx = a made up term for A. percula clownfish that have alot of black coloration. How much black and where the black is can evidently make a $50 or more difference in the asking price of the offspring so it is important to people selling the true "onyx" to be able to say that only their fish are onyx. In fact none of the clowns would qualify as Onyx based on the true definition of the word so it will always be an arguement over how much orange they can have and still be Onyx.

FWIW, Nathan

Maximize Flow, Minimize Velocity! Always get a second opinion (and a 3rd, 4th, etc...)
Old 08/24/2004, 12:03 PM
Clownfish Fanatic

It is a very pretty percula but not onyx. The middle and last band are not connected with black.
DLCKWOOD

David Lockwood
Old 08/24/2004, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by npaden
O´nyx

Noun 1. onyx - a chalcedony with alternating black and white bands; used in making cameos

Based on the actual definition it would be only black and white. Any orange on the fish wouldn't = Onyx.
Yes,, black and white.. no orange on the body at all. There are a few that will fit that discription

Quote:

It is like saying a black lab with a white spot on it's chest is a Domino Lab. Then people would be arguing over where the spot was and how big it had to be to qualify it as a domino lab. What if it had 2 white spots instead of 1? Would it be a double domino lab?.
Im not that big into dogs, but I believe that judges in a show would disqualify them from being a true black lab

Quote:

Onyx = a made up term for A. percula clownfish that have alot of black coloration. How much black and where the black is can evidently make a $50 or more difference in the asking price of the offspring so it is important to people selling the true "onyx" to be able to say that only their fish are onyx. In fact none of the clowns would qualify as Onyx based on the true definition of the word so it will always be an arguement over how much orange they can have and still be Onyx.

FWIW, Nathan
Yes, and for some vendors to charge $70 more for wild caught.
and, yes, according to your definition that you posted above, they should have no orange bertween the bars. I agree that the arguement will always be there. Im on the side of saying that there shouuld be no orange between the bars
Old 08/24/2004, 12:57 PM
Extreme Reefer

I was actually saying that there shouldn't be any orange anywhere on the fish at all. Just black and white.

Maximize Flow, Minimize Velocity! Always get a second opinion (and a 3rd, 4th, etc...)
Old 08/24/2004, 04:23 PM
Lazy reefer

Just imagine that A. percula are all mostly black and white with a little orange, we all will be looking for the ones that are all orange and white with as little black as possible.

A beautiful fish is a beautiful fish when we look at him or her no mater what color.
Old 08/24/2004, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Minh Nguyen
Just imagine that A. percula are all mostly black and white with a little orange, we all will be looking for the ones that are all orange and white with as little black as possible.

A beautiful fish is a beautiful fish when we look at him or her no mater what color.
couldnt agree more.
Personally I like your pair of percs better than most any I have seen.

Quote:
Originally posted by npaden
I was actually saying that there shouldn't be any orange anywhere on the fish at all. Just black and white
I know what you were saying, but having no orange between the bars at all (on the body) is closer to the term onyx than the percs that DO have orange between the the bars.

Npaden, where do you draw the line on the term onyx clowns? or are they all just percs? Are minh's Onyx? what about Skels female? or his male? All the same?
I will agree that they are all A percula, and some have more black than others.. Some fall under the catagory that Bill addison originally quoined onyx. Some do not.
Old 08/24/2004, 07:21 PM
Moved On

It's all so subjective..They are all percs to me.