Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

I couldn't resist ( Aquapod 12 Build)

When I saw this;

It quickly turned into this:

To tune everyone in to my situation it goes like this. I have a 75 gallon which I have gone through everything you could has a hobbyist ( knock on wood) Ich wipe-out, Plankton bloom, diatom bloom ( 4 times after cycle), hair algae etc. I was in the process of turning it into a reef since my FOWLR was wiped out by ich. I had just too many fish and nutrients that I couldn't keep corals in good health( aside from softies and shrooms). So I was in a struggle until I came on this forum and was struck with the idea of keeping all of my current corals( 5 frags) and others in a nano. Well the prices of nano's were tough especially since I wanted halides so I could keep my corals in the best envoiroment as possible. Well I was in my LFS and saw that ^^^^^^ sale. So I later bought the system. I was worried about the "too good to be true" situation and checked that everything was there and working. I was wondering why 65% off was applied to the system and found out that they discontinued 70w halides for the 12 and switch to 150 w halides( I don't think that makes sense) Anyway here I am and I love to read Build threads so I thought I'd return the favor.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

First off does anyone have pics of their 12g AP I need some inspiration on the rockwork
Old 01/06/2008, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Nice price...pick one up for me too!
Old 01/06/2008, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

congrats on your new tank! here's a pic of my AP12, just 10 days old. i would recommend blocking the extra inlets on the first chamber and replacing the stock pump with a maxi jet 900. good luck with your build and keep us posted with pics.

Old 01/06/2008, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Tomorrow night I'm going to LFS to pick up some salt ( Red Sea Coral Pro), Iron supplement from my 75 refuge. Brightwell's Reef Code A &B ( Calcium Alk) with that picking up a few pieces of Solomon live rock, and reef rock for the fish-only and maybe use some pieces for the aquapod.
After all of that is done the aquascaping will begin and setting up the protein skimmer.

I want some opinions on livestock:

I really want a dragonette I am buying live triggerpods and have them living in the tank a few weeks to a month before the dragonette goes in.

I want one other fish ( blennie or goby) that has personality the 24g at my LFS has a sailfin blennie who is a character. The only issue is I 'd have the same livestock as that tank if I get the dragonette and sailfin blennie. I don't want the same exact

So give me some good ideas on two small ( 3"-under ) cool fish. That will do well in a 12g.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:16 PM
Zoa Fanatic

Where the hell did you find that deal?!?!

Pm me!
Old 01/07/2008, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

I have a good idea on my livestock tell me what you think

1- Green Dragonet http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=554

1- Rainford'sGoby http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=164

Any suggestions or comments please let me know I want to do this right.

Inverts-( Crabs, Snails etc.)

6- Dwarf Blue Legged Hermit Crabs-
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...cfm?pCatId=623

1 Sexy Shrimp-
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1135

5- Nerite Snails
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...fm?pCatId=1472
Old 01/07/2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

damn nice deal...your a lucky man. who needs 150 watts on a 12 gallon nano, 70 is fine for me...tagging along , im in the process of setting up a new nano
Old 01/07/2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Draonets need a good pod population to survive with alot of LR. In a small nano they would just eat up the pods in no time.

The goby would do fine. Could go with a Goby/Pistol shrimp pair or a firefish. I wouldn't keep more than 2 fish in a 12g

I put the blue stuff on the red stuff.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I decided for the sake of the dragonet to not go with one of them. I was thinking about a pair of red firefish how does this idea sound?

Also I have a LR question. If I buy Fiji Cured Rock will this rock be less stocked with pods and organisms than "normal" live rock?

Now for flow, I want mainly LPS corals, but I do want a acro cap and a green birds nest. So if I have those two in one area of concentrated flow could I keep them? The tank's flow will consist of the stock pump ( 160gph) and a Mini-Jet 606 ( 160), with a total of 320 gph which equals to 26x turnover. Ideally minus- 2 gallons of filtration chamber, and -2 for 15-25 lbs of rock. So really 40x turnover.

Either way thats all the questions I had now. I planned on getting the LR and other supplies today, but turns out I will be getting them tomorrow night.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

I suggest you replace the stock pump with another maxi jet. You will get more flow and less heat from another maxi jet then with the stock pump. Also remove the sponge and replace it with filer floss and replace it every 3-4 days.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

What an incredible deal on the tank. Where do you live?
Old 01/07/2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

ShootMe ( haha sorry) - I have been told that a lot I will do that the Maxi Jet 900? I was planning on using filter floss.

theclearblue- Amishville, PA ( Lancaster)

Do you guys think I could add a Black-Rayed Shrimpgoby and a Red Pistol Shrimp with the Firefish is there going to be a goby-fight or too much stocking if I do that?
Old 01/07/2008, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Scratch the Sexy Shrimp, I'm trying to keep this nano PG.

SO stocking wise we are looking at:

2x Red Firefish

?1x Black-Rayed Shrimpgoby( Depending on replies)

?1x Red Pistol Shrimp ( Depending on replies)

5x Nerite Snails

6x- Dwarf Blue Legged Hermits

Any comments? Too much bio-load, too little or much clean up crew? I need you guys to get critical not too much though.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

Yes, I have a maxi jet 900 in mine and its been working great for the past 2 years, use the stock pump the mix new salt water. Three fish might be too much for a 12 gallon tank unless you keep up with the water changes every week. I personally have a yellow watchman goby and a small clownfish in my aquapod. Whatever you do add the fish slowly with a few weeks inbetween each fish to make sure you dont overload the tank.

I think you should reconsider the goby/shrimp combo. Unless you get one that is already paired the consensus I’ve read from these forums is that they will fail to pair up and hide most of the time meaning it is unlikely you will see one or the other after you add them to the tank.

good luck with your tank.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for that info ShootMe, I know that clowns and anemones sometimes never pair up, so I could see it happening in the tank, plus three gobies of different species is pushing it. So probably

2x Red Firefish

5x Nerite Snails

6x Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits

Any (cheaper) shrimp you guys would recommend.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Also another question for you guys, how can I force hitchhikers out of the LR without killing the rock itself?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

I have a 12g AP with 4 fish and many corals, inverts, etc... and it has been running with no problems for 6 months. I've done 25% water changes every 2 weeks, stuck with the stock pump and lighting, and never had to change anything. As long as you use quality water, make a consistent schedule, and don't overdo it with the supplements, you should be all right.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Care to share what fish you have helliott?
Old 01/07/2008, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

I will try to do an overall update on the building every two to three days.

Tomorrow night I am going to the LFS to pick up-
- Live Rock
-Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
-Kent's Iron Supplement( For 75's refuge)
-Brightwell's Reef Code A & B
- AP Reef Test Kit
-AP Salt water test kit ( My Instant Ocean is a long process and inaccurate)
-Maxi-Jet 900
- Some Media Bags for My Phos-ban, De-nitrate ( Vacational assurance) and Purigen.
-Filter Floss

My dosing plan for the tank will be as follows-

Every 1-3 days :

- Reef Code A&B
- Coral Mix ( Food ( Cycoeeze,Phyto&Zoo )and with small amounts of Vitamin C, amino acids, and a little fatty acids.)

Weekly:
- Half a "capful" of my tap water ( Loaded with excessive silica for snail, sponge and diatom health.)

Monthly:
- 1/4 dose of "trace elements"
-1/4 dose of iodide
-1/4 dose of iron( more depending if I create a refuge)

That is just a broad idea, but nice to get ideas and options now so I have a good plan for when corals go in.

Nobody still has yet to answer how I can get hitchhikers out of my Live Rock without killing the other organism's.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by black_majik
Also another question for you guys, how can I force hitchhikers out of the LR without killing the rock itself?
Before you try to kill all the hitchhikers I would QT the rock in a bucket or spare tank you have lying around and see excatally what hitchhikers you have. Pods and bristle worms can be good for the tank. Beside someof the hitchhikers such as Aptasia cannot be forced out and must be hunted down.
Old 01/07/2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

I want to "force" them out so I can see them. I know there is a lot of good hitchhikers. I am speaking on the behalf of Mantis Shrimp and those deadly worms. So just a QT and they will show? I heard of Excessive salinity will drive movable hikers out into the open. Aptasia is a process of examining the Live Rock.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

If you want to force them out get a cooking pan with a cooking grate place the rock on the grate over the pan and slowly pour fresh water onto the rock. Any hitchhikers will emerge sence they are out of the water climb down and fall into the cooking pan below the rock. Have a container of salt water standing by if you want to save them. That’s atleast how I got my hitchhiker mantis out.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

How long did you have freshwater being dumped on the rock before your hitchhikers jumped out? Could I use a 2 gallon bucket for this job filled half way up with clean saltwater so if it is a desirable hitchhiker I can save it.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

I poured freshwater over a hole and a few second later the mantis came running out. None of the hitchhikers will last longer then a few seconds when all they have is freshwater. A gallon of saltwater is more then enough to keep hitchhikers alive for awhile.