Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 03:06 AM
Registered Member

Is this cute little crab reef safe?

The answer must be no, or I would see them for sale in the LFSes. He's in my 90 which I haven't really done much with other than fill with rock. He's going to be very tough to get out...

I was just hoping that there might be some chance he is reef safe and invert safe, and I can leave him in there.

He's awfully cute!!

Old 01/01/2008, 03:44 AM
Invert Addict

Platypodiella spectabilis, the gaudy clown crab. It is adorable, isn't it? But not reef safe, sorry. Do you have a sump or refugium you can put it in?
Old 01/01/2008, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Leslie's 100% Correct. As a matter of fact, I think Leslie ID'd this same species of crab for someone on Reef Frontier just the other day...lol. Not only is this crab NOT reef safe, as it eats Zoanthids, it can store up the toxins from them and then use those toxins on others. Since they are so beautiful, I'd highly recommend keeping it in a sump/fuge if at all possible, or finding someone else who's able to home it.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

Definently a sweet looking crab though.