Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/29/2007, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

Glass tank repair

Does anyone know where to have a glass tank repaired?

I have a 220 Starfire with eurobrace. The seams split open. I need to have the silicone replace with the black type, instead of clear.

This thing weight a ton, so I prefer taking to somewhere close to bay area.

Thanks..
Old 08/29/2007, 11:49 PM
POWERED by A200-1260

Ed, do you really feel secure repairing such a large GLASS tank?
I dunno bro but we all have our opinions and how we feel about things, I honestly wouldnt do it, I would just be pretty scared. But then again thats just me.

SF 49ERS!!! SF GIANTS!!!
Old 08/30/2007, 12:37 PM
Moved On

Ed pm me I know a guy that can do it and gaurantee his work he is a repair guru
Old 08/30/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Ouch. Yeah a glass tank that large is going to be HEEAAV--VEEE.!!

Plus the panels of glass individually are going to be heavy. So I would ensure you take it to a glass/repair shop that can repair it knowing how heavy it is. Is it just one side or is the whole thing falling apart? Compared to the cost of a new tank, I think you can get it fixed assuming you have the capability to transport it safely yourself (i.e. sufficent manpower to load/unload and a truck capable of holding >=6' long tank. I would start with local glass shops and then go to Stockton/Modesto/Sac...

There are some people who make tanks somewhat locally. Talk with you LFS and see if they know who made theirs. That outfit should be able to help you or at least be best aligned to do so.
Old 08/30/2007, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

Warren,

I know. I had this tank in my garage for a while now. I a really nice tank. My wife want a fish only tank and I figure instead of buying a new tank. I just repair this one. Beside, I'm thinking on setting it up in the garage anway.

Did you ever get a hold of the person we talked about? the number that i gave you?

Ned, Thanks I will pm you today..

Boiac, thanks dude.. I know.. It took 5 guys to carry this thing. I heard of good tank maker in the area. But i just didnt know who. I check out the phone book i guess..
Old 08/31/2007, 05:39 PM