Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/18/2007, 11:34 AM
Moving Along

Pooky's 300

I am finally able to set up my dream tank when my wife gave the blessing to upgrade to a larger tank. The only condition was that it has to be housed in the garage because there just wasn't a good spot for it in the house. So out goes my car, which is perfectly fine with me

The tank was a used 300 gallon acrylic tank made by Envision in exceptional condition. I told my wife that it was too good a deal to pass up for $700 including a behemoth steel stand. I was quoted $1800-$2000 for just the acrylic tank from a local tank fabricator.

The tank was made to be viewed from 3 sides but I'll have it set up against the wall. After I got it home, all it needed was some polishing with Novus 1 and 2 to take out some of the minor scratches on the the viewable sides.

Anyways, enough typing for now. Please LMK what you guys think and any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks.

Old 07/18/2007, 11:36 AM
Moving Along

Old 07/18/2007, 11:39 AM
Moving Along

The steel stand was too short so my dad and I added another 7" inches or so. The 4"x8" are bolted to each other and the stand was then bolted onto the risers. Check out the new platform shoes. Very fashionable and sturdy. This thing ain't moving nowhere.

Old 07/18/2007, 01:33 PM
Moving Along

Some more stuff that I have been able to do in the last few weeks in between a busy work schedule and 2 small clingy kids at home

This was a 6' long tank that I had to cut down to about 5' to fit inside the stand.

Old 07/18/2007, 01:34 PM
Moving Along

Some Weld-on #4 and an extra bead of #16 at the corners for insurance.

Old 07/18/2007, 01:36 PM
Moving Along

The majority of the sump top bracing will be routed out so I can fit the skimmer at one end. Still need to cut the baffles this weekend. Hopefully I can fill it in a couple of weeks for a leak test before adding salt water.

Here is the skimmer for the system, H&S A200 that I got from a buddy.

Old 07/18/2007, 01:39 PM
Moving Along

Some plumbing that was done last weekend.

The Dart for the return with a true union check valve and a couple of T's for other equipment such as a chiller, phosphate reactor, etc.

Couple of 1" Sea Swirls at the 2 opposing corners from the overflow.

Old 07/18/2007, 02:46 PM
Corgilover

Looking good. Too bad you couldn't put it inside the house. Maybe make it inwall?
Old 07/18/2007, 03:13 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Looks awesome! Behind the H&S there are pix of some cherry doors. Will that skin the stand?

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 07/18/2007, 03:39 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by Ebisan
Looking good. Too bad you couldn't put it inside the house. Maybe make it inwall?
Thanks. Yeah, I looked at all the possibilities and nothing worked to our satisfaction. I originally planned on it being in our downstairs home office that shared a wall with the garage. It would have been the perfect situation where I could have plumbed everything out to the garage so I don't have to deal with the noise and equipment. But it would take up so much space and the metal stand wouldn't fit through the door opening. I guess on the brigher side, I now have the tank I have always wanted and if there ever was a leak, I don't have to worry about ruining the flooring inside
Old 07/18/2007, 03:46 PM
Registered Member

Looking Good Kenny. I agree wih Ebisan, That should end up as an inwall. will be keeping an eye on this thread. Good luck
Old 07/18/2007, 03:48 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by Fliger
Looks awesome! Behind the H&S there are pix of some cherry doors. Will that skin the stand?
Thanks Fliger. Those are actually cherry desks in my office. I had bought the skimmer and stored it there until the tank was ready. I haven't given it much thought regarding how to skin the stand yet. Don't know if I really want to spend time and money making something too nice since it's sitting in the garage. I could make it since I do have all the woodworking tools, it's just a matter of having the time.
Old 07/18/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Just dreaming for you
Old 07/18/2007, 03:53 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Originally posted by JGermanow
Looking Good Kenny. I agree wih Ebisan, That should end up as an inwall. will be keeping an eye on this thread. Good luck
Thanks for the well wishes JGermanow. It would look awesome anywhere in the house but I am just glad that I get to play with it
Old 07/18/2007, 03:55 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
hey.. thats going to be a beauty... congrats on stepping up to the big boy club...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 07/18/2007, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pookstreet
Thanks. Yeah, I looked at all the possibilities and nothing worked to our satisfaction. I originally planned on it being in our downstairs home office that shared a wall with the garage. It would have been the perfect situation where I could have plumbed everything out to the garage so I don't have to deal with the noise and equipment. But it would take up so much space and the metal stand wouldn't fit through the door opening. I guess on the brigher side, I now have the tank I have always wanted and if there ever was a leak, I don't have to worry about ruining the flooring inside
If you make it an 'in-wall', the tank and stand itself would be in the garage. That would eliminate the issue of the stand not fitting in the house, and of a ruined floor inside. Unless I'm missing something...
Old 07/18/2007, 03:57 PM
Moving Along

Some more shots of what's been done so far. I am hoping that I'll find time this weekend to finish the sump and leak test the system next weekend. If everything looks good, I'll have 350 gallons of NSW delivered for the initial fill and get the tank started on the cycle.

The tank with a black back applied. It's a product made by BlueLife that goes on like window tinting. Awesome stuff. I don't have to worry about salt creep getting between the tank and backing like those ones that are just taped on. Once it was done, it looked like it's always been there.

Old 07/18/2007, 04:01 PM
Moving Along

Thanks Gabe

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 20
If you make it an 'in-wall', the tank and stand itself would be in the garage. That would eliminate the issue of the stand not fitting in the house, and of a ruined floor inside. Unless I'm missing something...
LOL......I couldn't do that because the tank is 3' deep. If it was sitting in the garage, we couldn't park the minivan inside b/c the garage is not deep enough. She ain't gonna be too happy about lugging 2 kids that far out
Old 07/18/2007, 04:02 PM
Moving Along

The Sea Swirls all plumbed.

The return on the left will be fitted with a WavySea that's still running on my current 30 gallon.

Old 07/18/2007, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks Gabe

LOL......I couldn't do that because the tank is 3' deep. If it was sitting in the garage, we couldn't park the minivan inside b/c the garage is not deep enough. She ain't gonna be too happy about lugging 2 kids that far out
Heh, I must still be missing something. Your current plan is to put the tank in the garage. I'm suggesting putting the tank in the garage. What's the difference, other than a hole in the wall you can see the tank through?
Old 07/18/2007, 04:24 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Heh, I must still be missing something. Your current plan is to put the tank in the garage. I'm suggesting putting the tank in the garage. What's the difference, other than a hole in the wall you can see the tank through?
If I put the tank as an in-wall, it'll be at the head of the garage, therefore making the garage shorter and not allowing the minivan to be parked inside. Now the tank is placed against one of the garage side walls lengthwise as in some of the earlier pix. I get to park outside now since there won't be enough width to squeeze in 2 cars.
Old 07/18/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

nice tank
Old 07/18/2007, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
If I put the tank as an in-wall, it'll be at the head of the garage, therefore making the garage shorter and not allowing the minivan to be parked inside. Now the tank is placed against one of the garage side walls lengthwise as in some of the earlier pix. I get to park outside now since there won't be enough width to squeeze in 2 cars.
Ah, I knew there had to be something simple I was missing. Can't you just get her a shorter vehicle?
Old 07/18/2007, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

How are you going to do the lights? If the tank is in its final resting place it looks like you wont be able to hang the lights because it would block the garage door. Anyway it looks like it will be one sweet setup. I know I would give up my half of the garage for a tank that size.
(Click my Red House)
Old 07/18/2007, 11:12 PM
Moving Along

Quote:
Ah, I knew there had to be something simple I was missing. Can't you just get her a shorter vehicle?
LOL......there's no way we are buying another new car.