Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/11/2007, 01:13 AM
Premium Member

Dead in 45 Minutes..

I just had the worse luck..

I stopped by Wet Pet Aquariums in Pleasanton today as I have been doing for years now. Today I saw couple fishes that I like.. The first was a Carpenter Wrasse and the second was an Australian Scott Fairy Wrasse.

Waldo (owner) wanted 25$ for the Carpenter wrasse and 100$ for the Australian Scott Fairy Wrasse.

I thought the prices were ok, and the fishes looked fairly healthy. So, I purchased both of them and drove home immediately. This was at 630pm.

I got home at 7 pm and placed the fish bags in my tank to acclimate them. So, I went outside and played with my dog.

At 7:15 Scott (Plankton) come to visit to see my tanks. and that when we both saw the Carpenter Wrasse swimming around and the Scott Fairy Wrasse DEAD inside the bag.. Don't know what happened, the carpenter wrasse is ok, but the Fairy wrasse is stiff as a board..

I didn't even got a chance to release it and watch it swim. And why did it had to happen to the Fairy Wrasse, why cant it be the Carpenter.. So, now im out of a 100$ fish..

Freakin Suck!!! Talkin about a bad day..
Old 06/11/2007, 01:29 AM
Run little men, RUN!

Ouch sorry you lost that fish ----- Ed, did you ask if you could get an exchange? Some LFS will accommodate you in an exchange or a credit.
Old 06/11/2007, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Big Ouch...
not enough oxygen in the bag??
Old 06/11/2007, 03:12 AM
Premium Member

Don't know what happened. But I'll be back there tomorrow to talk to the owner.

That's one thing, he didn't put oxygen. Just just normal air when they bagged it.

It was a Nice fish though.
Old 06/11/2007, 08:32 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Dang ED, that sucks man... That just happend to me 2 weeks ago. But Chris at AC got me a replacement the next week... Mine died in the bag too... didn't really make it in the acclimation bucket...

" Charles V "
Old 06/11/2007, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear what you experienced. Yeah, it's always tought if it happens on the most expensive fish =(
Old 06/11/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

If it's a decent shop, they'll get you another one. sorry to hear about that!
Old 06/11/2007, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

I'll let you know what happens. I will go back there today..
Old 06/11/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

sorry to hear Ed. Hope the LFS is nice enough to give you credit for it given the circumstances...
Old 06/11/2007, 07:52 PM
Premium Member

Well, I just come from Wet Pet and spoke to Waldo (owner). I explained what happened and showed him a picture of the dead Fairy wrasse. He was puzzled, but he offered to give me a replacement.

He gave me another Scott fairy wrasse, which is much larger and nicer color than the first one. Unfortunately he had to catch it from one of his show tanks. It took 45 to catch him, which made me feel bad..

So, Props to Waldo on making things right.. He often recieves Australian fish and his prices is reasonable. That why I go t him.

Another good thing, while I was acclimating the new fairy wrasse. My exquisite wrasse, which had been missing for two half weeks just came out. I thought that sucker was dead..

It has been a good day today..
Old 06/11/2007, 10:18 PM
Run little men, RUN!

Good to hear that you got a replacement, Ed. It's always good to buy from a reputable LFS. Even if it's a little pricier than the non-reputable LFS. i.e. 6th Ave in S.F.
Old 06/12/2007, 08:39 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Good LFS will always do right for you without question or a hitch.

" Charles V "
Old 06/12/2007, 02:20 PM
Premium Member

This is the first time this happened to me.. It cool that tyhey did the right thing..
Old 06/12/2007, 06:10 PM
NaH2O

Sorry to hear what happened; awesome owner though =)