Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 04/22/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Kalk reactor recomendations

Im going to add a kalk reactor to my auto top off. I was just curious if anyone wanted to chime in about the unit they have/had experience with, etc. I'm not really sure what I should look for in a reactor, nor if there is really any difference between the models. Any insight would be most helpful.
Old 04/22/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I have a GEO and it's built like a tank. Very easy to use. However, it depending on how busy he is it might take a while to get one.
Old 04/22/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I just got a reactor from Reeftek.I am very pleased with the quality of the unit & they were a great company to deal with.HTH
Old 04/22/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Actually, the GEO is why I was posting this question. I've always been a big fan of premium aquatics and their customer service, but they are out of stock on the GEO's. I called to ask when they would get em in, and they basically had no clue until GEO contacts them. So, I don't really want to wait around until he gets them made

I also googled the GEO, but the only other place I found to get it is some addictive aquatics website that I have never heard of. Any other sponsors on RC carry the GEO reactor?
Old 04/22/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member.

Aquamedic.
Old 04/22/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

The reef stop.I have a geo and it's worth the wait.Just the fact you have to wait on one should tell you something.Seth
Old 04/22/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

I got a newly designed MRC kalkreactor with the built in timers but if you don't want to wait this is probably not the answer either as I waited six weeks or so for mine. Build quality seems very good but I have not filled it with water yet so I can't comment beyond that.
Old 04/22/2007, 08:06 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

www.austinoceans.com used to be Barr Aquatics, always top quality stuff
Old 04/22/2007, 08:14 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

If you have the room for a reservoir i recommend forgoing the kalk reactor and just mix up a few weeks of kalk at a time. I have a 55 gallon drum in a closet on my 180 and a 37 gallon one for my 90 and they each last a good while. I have used kalk reactors in the past but had difficulties during operation , plus they are expensive.
Old 04/23/2007, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

my PM one has been great
Old 04/23/2007, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

twon8 -
If you have the room for a reservoir i recommend forgoing the kalk reactor and just mix up a few weeks of kalk at a time. I have a 55 gallon drum in a closet on my 180 and a 37 gallon one for my 90 and they each last a good while. I have used kalk reactors in the past but had difficulties during operation , plus they are expensive.

agreed, its a lot easier that way, you can use it in your top off, make a bunch at a time, and save a bunch of money by not buying a kalk reactor. i have used a kalk ATO for all top off for quite a while now with no probs. just remember with dosing kalk mag. levels drop after a while. HTH

-dukes
Old 04/23/2007, 08:08 AM
Registered Member

I have a GEO for several months now and so far so good. I have it connected to my ATO and ACjr to turn on for 15 mins every 6 hours for 15 minutes. Click on my red house for pics...
Old 04/23/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

twon8

What type of kalk do you use?

So you just mix a bunch and have it go into your system from top off? Can you explain how this is done?Do you have to always mix it with a pump or something? I am setting up ro storage in my garage and that might be a good idea.

Thanks
Eric

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 04/23/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

I would go with a GEO. I have a PM and it is built well, my only gripe is no drain like the GEO has and the pump is noisy.
Old 04/23/2007, 12:59 PM
SPG Reefer

I think the GEO website have them for sale.

http://www.geosreef.com/kalk_01.html
Old 04/23/2007, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

JRaquatics, if you run your PM in some vinegar water from time to time, the powerhead will be silent again
Old 04/23/2007, 02:19 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
twon8

What type of kalk do you use?

So you just mix a bunch and have it go into your system from top off? Can you explain how this is done?Do you have to always mix it with a pump or something? I am setting up ro storage in my garage and that might be a good idea.

Thanks
Eric
i use mrs wages; i dump a bunch of it in when i fill up the barrels, i don't bother mixing other than that. i have covers for the barrels and it keeps up my alk/ca fine
Old 04/23/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

I am going to have a couple 50 gallon containers in my garage for water changes and ro storage. I think I will just start out something simple like that.

What do you use for alk/ca? Do you make your own like the one on rc?

Thanks..

(Red House for my 425 system)