Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 02/22/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Tunze selection for 90G

I'm about to pull the trigger on an order for a Tunze stream and controller for my 4' 90G. Looking for some input on whether I should go with the 6000 or 6100 (with single controller).

I have a mixed reef (LPS, SPS and softie), and I have kept all of my rockwork about 2" away from all sides of the tank, allowing for relatively unobstructed flow. Substrate is shallow sand (~1" or less). Return pump is a Mag 9.5. I don't want to do two pumps across from each other, because I'm trying to keep all equipment in a single corner where the overflow lives.

The cost difference between the two models is enough that I don't want to spend the extra money on the 6100 if I'm just going to dial it way back so I don't pound the LPS and blow sand everywhere. I am also willing and able to hide a mj1200 behind the rocks if I need to fill in a small dead area. It's worth noting that I will NOT be going to a larger tank any time soon, so no need to overspec this.

Also - the magnetic holders seem just a little pricey. Has anyone tried gluing their Tunze to a mag float instead, or is that just heresy?

Thanks
UB
Old 02/22/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Since you are doing a mixed reef I would go with the 6000's. You could alway upgrade to 6100's by just switching the transformer. As far as magnets are concenrned I think the Tunze magnets are a bit overpriced. I really like the suregrip magnets and they are little less pricey and work great. If I were spending close to $700-900.00 worth of powerheads I wouldnt do the mag float thing. Actually dont do it (resale value, looks, overall ghettoness) Just my opinion.
Old 02/22/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

I currently use a 6000 in a 90 and it wasn't enough. I've gone with 2 6000 and it's made all the difference in the world. I don't know if a 6100 is the right option. As far as magnet holders, the sure grip's are cheaper more compact than the tunze version.
Old 02/22/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Oops I didnt read one 6000. I would go with 2 6000's. Maybe 1 6100
Old 02/22/2007, 02:42 PM
Charleston Reefer

I was also looking for some pumps for about the same size tank. I saw a huge thread about these new pump... http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=HD19401

Might want to check into these and save a lot of money.
Old 02/22/2007, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. Can anyone speak from experience on running a single 6100 in a 4' tank? Does it give a good distributed flow compared to 2 x 6000? The rockwork only goes about 1/2 - 2/3 off the way up the tank, with most of the SPS sitting at or near the top. This means the powerhead will most likely be aimed at an open area of the tank, instead of through lots of barriers, if that makes a difference.
Old 02/22/2007, 02:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kb-smoker
I was also looking for some pumps for about the same size tank. I saw a huge thread about these new pump... http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=HD19401

Might want to check into these and save a lot of money.
I don't think those would replace the tunze (no controller and would require more of them), but one or two of those might be a great supplement to the tunze.

Do you have a link or threadid for the discussion?
Old 02/22/2007, 03:04 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by ubastid
I don't think those would replace the tunze (no controller and would require more of them), but one or two of those might be a great supplement to the tunze.

Do you have a link or threadid for the discussion?
here is the thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=983152

You can also use a controller on these... Seio Electronic Controller.

I was thinking about get 3 of the version 4(1200) and run them off that controller for my tank. You really can't beat the price. These also seem to be getting some great review.
Old 02/22/2007, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

For a tank with no sps one 6000 would be enough and maybe some thing like a nano 6025 on one side. Thats what i have in my 90 and it is plenty far as those corals go. Im looking for more flow my self only do the fact i have 40% sps. Also the sure grip holder works great on the tunze.
Old 02/22/2007, 05:05 PM
Village Idiot!

I have two of the Vortech pumps on my 90, and i really like em
Old 02/22/2007, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Way to go everyone - here I thought this thread would help me make a decision, but now I'm more undecided than ever

Here's a little more info on how I'm weighing my options.

First, my original plan was to do a closed loop with a $100-150 dollar external pump, so upgrading to a single tunze + controller is already more than what I originally intended to spend (ain't that the way it goes?). One reason for looking at something like the 6X00's was the possibility of getting all flow from a single pump - much cleaner and simpler than external plumbing for a CL, plus I get the benefits of the controller.

I read all 20 pages of the Hydor Koralia ph thread - they sound like neat little units at a good price, but then I'm definitely looking at 2 ph's in the tank, and those suckers aren't exactly small. I know a 6000/6100 isn't much better on size, but if I can get away with a single ph hidden by the overflow, then I'm happy. I really want to keep extra equipment out of the corner that's opposite of the overflow. It sounds like a 6000 isn't strong enough - I'm still hoping someone can advise on the 6100.

Anyway, if I can't get away with a single tunze (along with maybe a hidden mj1200 blowing behind the rockwork), then I'll probably go back to the closed loop idea - although I think this foray into tunze's and controllers has loosened up my wallet a little when it comes to pump selection. In fact, I can feel my credit card getting warm just thinking about it.

Speaking of which - what CL pumps do you like (external)?

UB
Old 02/22/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

A single 6000 with the 7091 single controller would be fine for an lps softy tank, IMO -- but I really question your wanting to put flow all on one side of the tank. You'll get laminar flow in a circle around the tank.
Old 02/22/2007, 05:57 PM
Charleston Reefer

Why don't you try to hide one of the hydro PH behind some rocks? It comes with a magnet mount so it wouldn't be that hard to mount. 2x 1200ghp is more flow than the 6100 and those only cost about $90 for both.
Old 02/22/2007, 06:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Why don't you try to hide one of the hydro PH behind some rocks? It comes with a magnet mount so it wouldn't be that hard to mount. 2x 1200ghp is more flow than the 6100 and those only cost about $90 for both.
How maneuverable are the mounts? Could I hook it to the back wall and point it nearly 90 deg to the side? The pics I saw in the other thread seemed to have them mounted to the sides of the tank instead. That wouldn't work well considering how my tank is positioned.
Old 02/22/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

What about a 6000 on one end and one of the new tunze nano's on the other. The nanos are really small and still put out a lot of flow.
Old 02/22/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

Think about a Maxi-Jet mod? If you are looking to save some cash. Maybe a couple of 900's??
Old 02/22/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cwklinge
What about a 6000 on one end and one of the new tunze nano's on the other. The nanos are really small and still put out a lot of flow.
That's not a bad idea. I keep going back and forth on the CL idea, but now that I've been doing the research on the controllers, I really want one. I do have a scwd laying around for a CL, but I don't think it would handle as much flow as I would want to put through it. This might be a good compromise.

Quote:
Originally posted by 481824
Think about a Maxi-Jet mod? If you are looking to save some cash. Maybe a couple of 900's??
I've been reading up on that mod- sounds like a good one. Had I not just spent the entire last week doing an emergency buildup on this 90G (had an "oops" moment with the 55G ), I would probably be up for that. After all I've been through since then, for the right price anyway, I'm willing to buy my way through this.
Old 02/22/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Kb-smoker- A tunze 6100 put out 3175gph. You would need more than two Koralia 4's to equal that.
ASM G-3
MRC CR-2
Old 02/22/2007, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

jimsta

How well do you think the flow from a 6100 would disperse if it's on a controller? I am concerned about the point crumbletop raised about getting a circular, laminar flow.
Old 02/22/2007, 09:58 PM
Charleston Reefer

ubastid

Please keep us updated on what you end up doing. I'm upgrading to this same size tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by jimsta
Kb-smoker- A tunze 6100 put out 3175gph. You would need more than two Koralia 4's to equal that.
Sorry i was talking about the 6000.

Old 02/22/2007, 10:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Please keep us updated on what you end up doing. I'm upgrading to this same size tank.

Well, I took a peek at ebay a few hours ago - there were two auctions ending soon - a 6000 with single controller, and a 6100 without controller - both new in box. They were both marked down by about the same dollar amount compared to marinedepot. In the final minute, the 6000+controller item went up quite a bit, so I took that as a sign and bid on the 6100... and won. Saved close to $50 after adding in shipping (would have been free on marinedepot). Now I'm off to get the controller and Suregrip from MD.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03/04/2007, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

I've had the 6100 in the tank for several days now (w/ controller), and so far so good! I used a magnet mount and positioned it right in front of the corner overflow. It blends in pretty well that way. I set one flow strenght to about 75% and set the other to around 25%, with about a 5 sec interval. Given how big these things are, I'm glad I didn't try to do 2x 6000's instead.
I ended up hanging a mj1200 on the opposite corner and it helps keep the flow from becoming to circular. I'm sure the flow would be much better if I had surging Tunze's on both sides, but the mj is far more discreet and I think it's a very reasonable compromise for what I was trying to accomplish. The flow is much better than anything I ever had in my 55G using multiple mj1200's and various combinations of spraybars and SCWD's on the return pump.
So far all corals seem happy, though I have to watch and make sure I'm not blasting my hammer and torch too much.
Old 03/05/2007, 12:35 PM
Registered Member

I also have a 90 and i have a 6000 and a 6100 both in the tank on a multi controller. I bought the 6100 cause they were out of 6000's and I'm glad i did. I wish the 6000 had more, on pulse its truned up all the way. I for sure will eventually get the transformer upgrade, 2x6100 would be perfect to me and still leave me some room on the top end. I do have sand too by the way.
Old 03/05/2007, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kstuart
I also have a 90 and i have a 6000 and a 6100 both in the tank on a multi controller.
What kinds of coral do you keep? Do you have a pic? I'd like to see how it looks with both of those beasts in there.
Old 03/05/2007, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Tunze nano's

I would look at the nanos for the 90, I have four nano 6025s on my 4' tank, they give very random flow, this is a mix tank, if you wanted more go with the 6045. I have the 6000 and I took it out from the tank, it is too big for my taste, but you cannot beat the controller. I love that, I run the 6000, in my frag tank, and it puts out great flow and is always upgradeable.

I am deffinitely going to order one of the 6055 when they come out.

I also have to say Tunze customer service is top notch.