Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2008, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

problems with QT tank

After my QT tank cycled i added 2 fishes and in about 3 days the Ammonia and nitrites raised . i started changing the water and replacing it from my main tank. Ever since im still doing the same every time i add some fish. is this normal?

QT= 10 gals,air pump with sponge filter,heater and pvc pipes.
Old 01/09/2008, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

do you leave your QT up and running always. I would add some live rock that you do not plan on ever putting in your display tank. I will help keep your amomonia down. Also you might look into a little bit bigger qt tank. It depends on the size of the fish and how many you put in at one time. If you are putting a couple in at one time with that small of a tank your ammonia will rise quickly. Just keep doing what your doing and maintain water changes and you should be ok
Old 01/09/2008, 11:50 PM
Team RC Member

YOu have to change your filters and do 10% water changes very often. Run some carbon in the filter, also: this reduces ammonia rapidly. And watch overfeeding: fish will not die of starvation in qt, but they can die of bad water. Personally I recommend a completely bare tank with no rock, no sand, except a small dish of sand for a jawfish or wrasse. Keep it scrupulously clean. Do not try to cycle it---just keep changing the filters and running carbon.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

I use a 29 gallon with a small hang on the back filter. I fill the filter catrige sacks with crushed coral form an active tank along with a few pieces of seeded lava rock. I also run carbon in the filter box. No ammonia issues. Water changes of 3 gallons or so twice a week are working fine. I test for it every few days then back off to every week. I also have an ammonia alert badge in the tank.

You don't need to worry about nitrite or nitrates in a fish only quarantine tank. Neither are harmfull to fish in a marine environment accept at extraordinary levels. The chlorides in the salt water detoxify them significantly.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:13 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys i will keep doing the water changes. And going to add a sock with carbon.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

I had a 10 gallon Q tank with 1 aquaclear with bioballs and carbon and a sponge that I frequesntly changed with one that has been in the main tank for a few days. in addition to a Millenium wet dry filter that also has an insert for sponge and carbon which is meant to handle a marine tank of up to 25 gallons and I always struggled with ammonia and nitrites levels. I guess treatment always messes up the bacteria in your filter somehow. finally I resorted to addinga sand bed to the Q tank and always keeping the carbon in. i know both are supposed to suck the medication you use so I modified my treatment techniques:
Use hyposalinity instead of copper.
when medicating with AB i used Nitrofuranion as it is supposed to affect the filter bacteria less than others.
Also If the fish was not eating I would take it out of the Q tank 2-3 times every day and put it in water that has the AB mixed in it for 10-15 min then return the fish without the water to the Q tank. I mostly used the Q tank as introduction tank and not always you will have to medicate when introducing a fish so why not have a real tank (sand, rocks and filtration) for mild cases of disease and new fish introduction, as perrfect water quality and a natural environment can cure minor affections without need of treatment and in hard cases then resort to another Bare bottom Q tank.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

thanks maroun.c for the information.