Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/24/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

Silicone for aquascaping the rocks

Guys,

I am tired to see the liverocks fallen down on my sandbed. Do you know some kind of silicone or sealent that I can use to glue the rocks together so they don't fall anymore ?

Someone told me there is a black silicone that cures under water. Is this safe to use?
Old 12/24/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

Reef epoxy or superglue is fine - never heard of underwater silicone.
Old 12/24/2007, 06:58 PM
Nothing to put here

You want to use epoxy, not silicone. Look for a stick of Aquamend at home depot or lowes.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Use some acrylic rods or fiberglass rods. You just drill a hole through the rocks and stick the rod through. It works great.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BOKER420
Use some acrylic rods or fiberglass rods. You just drill a hole through the rocks and stick the rod through. It works great.
also a plastic hanger cut small 1 or 2 inch pieces, drill the rocks.
Old 12/24/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Go to www.petsolutions.com they are now selling silicone the same stuff that is used to put glass aquariums together.

Don't know if it is any good. the epoxy sticks are really good but can be tough to keep in place untill it dries. The drilling wors good as well but can be tough to get the rocks to not be wobbly.

What ever you go with will take alot of practice and patience. if you use the "glueing" method be sure you can handle the pieces and that they will fit through the top of your tank (if acrylic) because this WILL be permanant.

Lucky
Old 12/25/2007, 02:54 AM
Registered Member

Guys,

There is a good brand of silicone that sometime ago i used, but had only half a bottle because my friend gave me some. He brought it from France. The name is ORCA AQUARIUM MUNSTER silicone.

You apply under water and cures. They use it also for leaking tanks, they apply it when the aquarium is still full of water.. incredible..
Old 12/25/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CoMMaNdeR
Guys,

There is a good brand of silicone that sometime ago i used, but had only half a bottle because my friend gave me some. He brought it from France. The name is ORCA AQUARIUM MUNSTER silicone.

You apply under water and cures. They use it also for leaking tanks, they apply it when the aquarium is still full of water.. incredible..
? not sure but "AquaWeld" sold at Home Depot and lowe's sounds like the same stuff?

Lucky
Old 12/25/2007, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Totally unrelated and probably toxic to aquariums but when I fill engine mounts with urithane rubber I cure them under water.

I thought the guy who told me this was crazy... but it worked faster than in the air. I'm sure to pull it off and be reef safe would require some special ingredients.

I know I cannot breath fumes from silicone as it cures, I don't expect my fish to be any different. I wonder what the binders use in them are.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics