Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Worm ID

I don't believe that these are red planaria as they are not as boxy, nor do they have a red dot at the tail. Let me know what ya'll think.

Old 12/22/2007, 10:27 PM
Invert Addict

Those are acoels. They're micro-grazers and/or micro-carnivores as far as I know and harmless to the larger reef animals like coals. There haven't been any reports of these having population explosions to the point where they become a nuisance. Is that happening in your tank?
Old 12/22/2007, 11:37 PM
Registered Member

I saw them on the glass of my quarantine tank. I'm trying to determine if I need to eliminate them prior to moving stuff to the main tank. I wouldn't say that there is an "explosion" but I just started seeing them yesterday and they are only the size of a pen dot.
Old 12/24/2007, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
I think it was in the first year of my 65g tub that I had a major population of these. It freaked me out. My bedroom light hit dark tank just right and they were all over the glass everywhere. My mentor at the time said they were fine and not to worry and she was right.

I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!