Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 11/09/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Mosquito larvae ?

Today I saw thousands of these tiny insects, still not capable to fly floating in the surface of a small brakish pond.

I was thinking to collect some of them, and feed my reef. Is this a good idea? Do you guys do it?
Old 11/10/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

Any suggestion please?
Old 11/10/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

I use to feed them to my baby piranhas.. they loved em... it grew them from .25 of a inch to 2inches, then i switched to white fish meat. then that took em to 7 inches... then i sold em
Old 11/10/2007, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

They are a very god food for freshwater fishes. Being in Florida I believe the little buggers can reproduce in saltwater so I'd make sure what you put in would be eaten before hatching. I'd try some.
Old 11/10/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

Re: Mosquito larvae ?

Quote:
Originally posted by CoMMaNdeR
Today I saw thousands of these tiny insects, still not capable to fly floating in the surface of a small brakish pond.

I was thinking to collect some of them, and feed my reef. Is this a good idea? Do you guys do it?

nooo way!! dont get me wrong they may be ok but ive learned the hard way. u may be adding parasites to your reef! in the past i had access to gulf water. i thought heck i should use it for water changes right!? wrong ! microscopic organism were intro'ed to my tank and grew. lots of stuff good but more importantly also bad!. there are many products that let u hatch cyst of micro organisms and copapods and feed your reef without the risk of other unwanted pests. unless u feel in the mood to gamble on an expensive hobby i wouldnt do this at all!
Old 11/10/2007, 05:19 AM
Registered Member

I was thinking to collect them, rinse them with RO water , put them in a brine shrimp net and feed. I also would not be safe this way?
Old 11/10/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

I do it , but I raise my own in a five gal. bucket. Like "reefd" said you risk a lot taking them out of the wild.