Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Garf Grunge

Has anyone used this before and what are your opinions of it.
Old 09/11/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

I used the "heavy" grunge, and put it in my refugium, as it came free with an order. Sand from an established tank would do the same thing. The grunge "light" as they call it, also came free and it looked like a bag of mud. I threw it in my yard. I was afraid that it would just create a silt storm in my tank.
It didn't create any spikes in my water, but my fuge was pretty well established already.
If you do a search you will find other comments about grunge.
You will see some like some don't.
Old 09/11/2007, 12:33 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salth2owannabe
The grunge "light" as they call it, also came free and it looked like a bag of mud. I threw it in my yard. I was afraid that it would just create a silt storm in my tank.
forgive the laughter but LOL, it's supposed to look like a bag of mud.

I've heard more negative comments on these products than I have good. If you were setting up a "miracle mud" type setup, I could see it being a benfit to use. Otherwise, I'd stick with using pre-seeding sand from a trusted fellow reefer instead. It's alot cheaper and it'll "seed" your tank just as well.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 09/13/2007, 03:08 PM
Reef Lovin' Kayaker

I have put some type of GARF grunge in nearly every tank I have set up. You can basically get the same thing from fellow hobbyists and the LFS.

I don't know what the different type they have any more. The original grunge was very coarse and works well in plenum systems. Those that have fine sand beds would not like it because it is so coarse. The stuff they use to call grunge lite was much finer and worked well with fine sand beds.

Some will say they could not find any life in it. If that is true then I have a minor miracle going on in my sand beds...

Thanks,

Scott