Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/08/2005, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Question Ease my fears - er, Concerns?

Hello all,

My wife is demanding that I take her on vacation instead of spending all this money on my reef tank, and she wants to go diving to a reef, and spend some time in FL...

Being the Missouri country boy that I am, I'm a bit apprehensive about strapping a tank of compressed gas to my back and jumping in...

So I've been reading reading reading and reading some more on the net, and We've found a local dive shop that also runs the cert. and training pool etc.

I've scheduled us for a free "Discover Scuba Dive" where they let you try it out for a little while in their indoor pool... Hopefully I'll like it instead of fear it...

Here are some of my questions that I can't seem to find the answers on the internet:

To get certified, you have to remove and replace all your equipment underwater including the mask, as a kid I can tell you that without holding my nose underwater, water shoots up into my sinuses and down my throat quicker than a jackrabbit on a date... The nice lady at the dive shop said that they can teach me techniques to combat this... Is it something easily overcome?

I don't consider either of us "strong" swimmers, in fact I'd rank myself in the "well I know how to swim but I like to stand on the bottom of the shallow end of the pool" type of "swimmer". We really won't care to do anything very complicated, we just want to try scuba diving to some reef's. Do you really have to be competitive swimmer to be a diver?

The more I learn about the gear involved, the more I wonder why it doesn't seem common for people to take one of these "pony" tanks "just in case". I'm an old Boy Scout (Eagle in fact) and I always like to "Be Prepared" for just about anything, do you think I'm worrying too much and overthinking things a bit?

What can I expect of the certification class if we decide that we want to go for it? Should I expect that I'll be 1/2 drown at somepoint?

Anyway I apologize as I'm sure these questions would probably be best answered by a "scuba" website, but I'm not really sure where else to start, and I thought my fellow reefer's would be a good place!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07/08/2005, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

1) Yes, it's true that all equipment must be removed and put back on underwater. To prevent water going up your nose, all you really have to do is continue to blow a slow stream of bubbles out your nose (and don't turn upside-down)...but yes, they will teach this to you.

2) You don't have to be a "competitive" swimmer, but you should be able to do some basic swimming skills -- for me, I had to tread water for 10 minutes (tiring -- more a test of stamina than swimming skills), swim 25 feet underwater on one breath (easy), and do 8 laps in an olympic size pool. You need to be competent, but certainly not olympic-class...

3) Most people don't dive deep enough or long enough to warrant the pony tanks...when you get a full NAUI certification for scuba diving, one of things you have to do is swim up 60 feet on one breath of air without your regulator in your mouth...and yes it is VERY easily accomplished. As you swim up, the air in your lungs expands...when you get to the surface, you'll probably be close to bursting from all the air still left in your lungs. As such, since most recerational reef divers don't go below 60-70 feet anyway, they know they can come up to the surface on one breath. As such, they really don't need a pony bottle. Additionally, all the regulators you'll be diving with have a second regulator...one of them will always work. The only way you won't get air in that case is if the tank is empty...and you have a gauge you can check to prevent that.

4) There is no way they will 1/2 drown you...these guys WANT you to pass the test and ENJOY scuba diving...that way you go back to their shop and get more gear/training as the addiction grows...and believe me...once you've scuba dived a reef, you will definitely be addicted!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post or PM me...I've been diving 3 years and I am a complete addict...
Old 07/08/2005, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

It sounds easy enough....

Is there some things we can try in our backyard above ground pool to help us get prepared? (It's a 41' long and 26' wide and about 3 1/2' deep)
Old 07/08/2005, 02:20 PM
troublemaker

I like the advice above.

My wife and I got certified last summer, went on a great diving honeymoon in the fall. I'm no expert, but with a good teacher you can learn it.

It's almost impossible not to stress about it, but don't.
Once you finally [post-certification and some days of diving] get comfortable and 95% relaxed, we both found it one of the most incredible and relaxing things I've done.
Strong swimming, distance-racing ... not what you do diving in my limited experience. Ideally, you float/barely kick along ... it's normally not a race, and the less drastic you move - the less air you use and the less you freak out all the creatures around you. We're not strong swimmers - but our couple times a month recreational pool use was good enough. More wouldn't hurt, and if you're going to a place with strong current I'd get into swimming shape IMO.

On our certification, you have to remove the mask, and all the equipment [2 diff episodes I think] and put them back on. Be patient, they'll help you as you learn how not to have problems. My wife had a similar issue, and our great teacher took the time to patiently help her get past it. IMO, with a good teacher, you'll have time to get past that.

There will be things that are stressful about certification - but really it's all about teaching you the science, and teaching you the basic skills so that you have a base competency in the water.
I almost felt like having one or two very stressful things during the certification process is a great teaching tool. Having an expert diver right there, watching you - they can just stop you with a hand on the shoulder, remind you that if you don't struggle, just breathe and relax - most issues are easily solved [if an issue any more]. After being taught to work through a underwater freakout [instead of a flight/etc response] - I was glad to have been taught well and had that experience so that when something bothered me on the reef, I could slow down instead of making a problem worse.

--
Overall, while it is a `mental thing' that is scary at first, the more you relax and slow down the more fun it is.
And I know of few things more fun - and sharing the experiences with your wife is great. You have a good, competent dive buddy who will have an eye out for you then too.

Just my barely experienced 2 cents.
Good luck with it, and IMO go for it
Old 07/08/2005, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Re: Ease my fears - er, Concerns?

Quote:
Originally posted by rottielover

...snip...

To get certified, you have to remove and replace all your equipment underwater including the mask, as a kid I can tell you that without holding my nose underwater, water shoots up into my sinuses and down my throat quicker than a jackrabbit on a date... The nice lady at the dive shop said that they can teach me techniques to combat this... Is it something easily overcome?

I don't consider either of us "strong" swimmers, in fact I'd rank myself in the "well I know how to swim but I like to stand on the bottom of the shallow end of the pool" type of "swimmer". We really won't care to do anything very complicated, we just want to try scuba diving to some reef's. Do you really have to be competitive swimmer to be a diver?

The more I learn about the gear involved, the more I wonder why it doesn't seem common for people to take one of these "pony" tanks "just in case". I'm an old Boy Scout (Eagle in fact) and I always like to "Be Prepared" for just about anything, do you think I'm worrying too much and overthinking things a bit?

What can I expect of the certification class if we decide that we want to go for it? Should I expect that I'll be 1/2 drown at somepoint?

...snip...
Topic 1 - Mask removal
If you are concerned about water getting in your nose after you remove your mask, just inhale through your mouth and exhale through your nose. You can practice this in a pool with a snorkel before your training begins. One of the first things you will be taught is to equalize the external pressure of the water with that of your sinus cavities/ears. As a result water will be less likely to enter your nose than in the situations you have experienced in the past.

Topic 2 - Swimming skills
You really do not need to be a good swimmer to be a good diver. In fact, diving techniques are completely different an example being is that you never use your hands to propel yourself or change direction (it is all done by finning alone). However, the training class does require swimming some distance (300 or 400 yards?) as well as treading water for 10 minutes.

Topic 3 - Pony bottle
Redundancy is a key factor in diver safety. A pony bottle is a good piece of equipment that should be used for emergency situations only. That is, do not think that you should stay down longer than planned because you could use your pony bottle. You might want to read the thread entitled "Are you prepared for emergencies" where such issues are discussed. If you do get a redundant gas supply, stay away from such products as "Spare Air", and get a real mini tank with a real regulator.

Topic 4 - What to expect from class
To give you some idea of how tough or easy it will be, consider the fact that you only need to be ten years old to get certified (although I personally think that is too young). Open water certification classes are generally designed so you can pass, and they will not throw any surprises your way. It is only when you take technical diving classes that the instructor will shut off your valves, yank out your regulator, or tear off your mask without warning. These are known as harassment drills and are a very important part of being able to deal with emergencies without panic.
Old 07/08/2005, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

If you were organized and motivated enough to get Eagle scout then SCUBA diving will be a piece of cake. All of the advice in this thread is good. Just take it easy the first time you head out to the open water. There's all the difference in the world between a lake and the ocean.
Old 07/08/2005, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

I really appricate all the reply's, as was stated, I think it's my mental state more than anything that has me all "uptight"...

I remember in the boy scouts for canoe, we had to dump and swim back to shore, etc. So it's not like I've never been in deeper water before, It's just been a LOOONGGG time since I've been anywhere but a pool.

We're scheduled tonight for a "Discovery Dive" in the pool, apparently they are training a "Master Diver" ? or Master Instructor something like that, so we'll actually get too be in the pool with 2 very experianced divers, instead of just one!!!

I'm stoked and a little scared at the same time, I hope I like it, I just keep thinking back to all that discovery channel I watched with people diving on the reef's....

I think what we'll do (if we like it) is to swing by the dive shop and pickup our masks, snokel's, boots, etc. (all the stuff you have to buy for class) then put it on and play in our pool a bit. I like the idea of trying to overcome swallowing water in my own backyard, rather than being the laughing stock of class...

I'll try the stream of bubbles thing, Is there anyway to describe how to "equalize the external pressure of the water with that of your sinus cavities/ears" ? Is this even possible in only 3 feet of water? (I've been on an airplane before and was told to "yawn" and this seems to do it, but I doubt you can "yawn" underwater)

Also, thank you for the kind words, I'm not really that orginized or determined as I was when I was working on Eagle Scout, but If I wanted to be I guess I could do it again. I'd have to say that if I had to pick one set of experiances in my life as a boy that prepared me to be a man, it would have to be my time in the Boy Scouts more than anything else.

Eveyone at the dive school and shop seems very nice, I think I was just worried that certification was a "weeding out" process more than a "learning" process. Now I know that it's a teaching and learning thing, NOT a "if you can't do this your outa here" thing.
Old 07/08/2005, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

...snip...

I'll try the stream of bubbles thing, Is there anyway to describe how to "equalize the external pressure of the water with that of your sinus cavities/ears" ? Is this even possible in only 3 feet of water? (I've been on an airplane before and was told to "yawn" and this seems to do it, but I doubt you can "yawn" underwater)
thing.

...snip
The technique is to exhale through your nose while pinching it shut (with your mask on). This forces a small amount of gas into your Eustachian tubes and relieves the pressure that you feel as you descend. When you ascend the gas just exits the canal on its own. This procedure, known as the Valsalva maneuver, must be performed with enough force to get the gas into the Eustachian tubes, but not so hard as to cause damage (you would need to blow REALLY hard to hurt yourself). If in doubt, ask your dive shop. Legal disclaimer: If you do somehow injure yourself, I am not responsible, etc...
Old 07/08/2005, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

...snip...

...snip...
The technique is to exhale through your nose while pinching it shut (with your mask on). This forces a small amount of gas into your Eustachian tubes and relieves the pressure that you feel as you descend. When you ascend the gas just exits the canal on its own. This procedure, known as the Valsalva Maneuver, must be performed with enough force to get the gas into the Eustachian tubes, but not so hard as to cause damage to your eardrum (although you would need to blow fairly hard to hurt yourself). If in doubt, ask your dive instructor.

Hear are detailed descriptions of various equalization techniques (including Valsalva) used by pilots and divers: http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

Obligatory legal disclaimer: Performing this maneuver is at your own risk. If you do somehow injure yourself, you take full responsibility for your actions, etc...etc...etc...
Old 07/09/2005, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

WOW WOW WOW WOW

We had the coolest time! Basically the instructor said she did the 1st dive of training with us (basically), I was even able to clear my mask of water without sucking water up my nose!!!! (can you tell I'm proud?)

Thank you Tech Diver for the link, we learned the "hold you nose and blow your nose gently" thing last night, worked like a charm in the pool. Before we started swimming around I kneeled down and leaned forward to try and get a feel for the BCD's we had on, trying to see if I was neutral or not. After we surfaced the instructor asked if I had done any of this before, because I was using a technique that she hadn't shown us yet, I said no, I was just trying to get a feel for it... SO I thought that was pretty neat too, I had without even knowing it, been practicing a diving skill.

Thanks again all for the reply's, My wife and I are headed over to the dive shop to sign up for the Cert. Classes!!!
Old 07/09/2005, 06:02 PM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Re: Ease my fears - er, Concerns?

Quote:
I've scheduled us for a free "Discover Scuba Dive" where they let you try it out for a little while in their indoor pool... Hopefully I'll like it instead of fear it...
Where did you plan this at Here in St. Louis, or on your vacation spot.

I had a friend bring his stuff over to my parents pool one time when he first got it. and I could not take a breath in under water. I can snorkel with no problems but for some reason I could not get my self to take a breath in? I only tried it a couple of times before he put it up I would really play around with it some more before paying for the classes too.

I can already do the mask under the water thing from just playing in the pool so not to worried about that. Now the pressure on the ears thing is a different story, but they teach how to do all that too.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 07/09/2005, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: Ease my fears - er, Concerns?

Quote:
Originally posted by Im Lon 2

...snip...
I had a friend bring his stuff over to my parents pool one time when he first got it. and I could not take a breath in under water. I can snorkel with no problems but for some reason I could not get my self to take a breath in? I only tried it a couple of times before he put it up I would really play around with it some more before paying for the classes too.
...snip...
If I understand you correctly, you have tried (or are planning to try) some SCUBA diving in a pool without the assistance of an instructor. If this is so, I would urge you to stop immediately as you can seriously injure yourself. It only takes a depth of four feet to get a gas embolism from a breath-hold. This can be accompanied by a ruptured lung. There is a lot more to diving than you may currently realize. Please take a free "try SCUBA" lesson like Rottielover did under the watchful eye a professional instructor before you get hurt.
Old 07/09/2005, 07:08 PM
Get Tanked With SLASH!

Re: Re: Re: Ease my fears - er, Concerns?

Quote:
Originally posted by Tech Diver
If I understand you correctly, you have tried (or are planning to try) some SCUBA diving in a pool without the assistance of an instructor.
I had tried this many years ago in a pool that was only 3-1/2' deep. I always wanted to take the classes, but didn't want to pay for classes and freak out and not be able to breath in. I have a friend that want me to go with them to take the class, but I have always looked back to the one time I could not take a breath under water, so I refused to go. I was unaware of the danger that was involved, and again I know that was way over 10years ago.

I am very curious to take a free "Discover Scuba Dive" class. This way I will have someone help me with the questions and censers I have. That was my main reason for posting wanting to know were in St. Louis rottielover found that class.

------------------------------------------------
Friends don't let friends buy PC lighting.
Old 07/10/2005, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Great going rottielover!

You're about to open up a whole new world to yourself...scuba diving is as much an addiction as reefkeeping...you're going to love it!

Let us know how you progress through the classes, and if you need anything, we're all here to help you through!
Old 07/10/2005, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Oh no, another addict. If you have some time before your classes start, I would recomend snorkeling in your pool. Just float face down breathing nice and slow through the tube. This may help you get more comfortable with the sound of your breathing. Ive read alot of other people that are just a bit stressed about breathing underwater (understandably) but once you relax, its great. When I got certified, it was myself, a friend who took the class as a refresher, and an ex marine whos specialty was living in water(?) We were all so comfortable underwater it caused problems... While doing skills in the pool the marine was demonstrating removal and clearing of mask, well he was a little too relaxed and let the second stage just fall out of his mouth. As the second stage drifted away behind him, he gives the instructor the Ok sign. We all kind stared at the guy and wondered when he was going to notice he wasnt breathing. He couldnt figure out why we were all staring at him and then it finally hit him. He recovered the second stage but the rest of us were all lauging so hard we had to stand up and get our heads out of the water before we drowned.

The first check out dive was unreal, we saw a school of yellow tail, 4' leopard shark, lobster, huge school of bait fish (I was a bit worried what was hunting the school) and catalina gobies. I loved it and cant wait to go out again this weekend.

Enjoy yourself and dive safe! oh yeah, better start saving your pennies!
Old 07/10/2005, 04:27 PM
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper

Quote:
oh yeah, better start saving your pennies!

You mean 10 dollar bills!!!
Old 07/11/2005, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

Hey Lon you have a PM from me.

Thanks everyone for the support! We found out that we get a pretty good deal if we purchase our own equipment to use for the classes, so we've started on that...

Forgive my ignorance on all this equipment, we've only got thru the first 2 sections of the book and video, (we have 3 sections to go before the first class!)...

Please let me know if this sounds pretty good to you guys -

I think the shop is an AquaLung dealer, so I think most of this is all Aqualung and SeaQuest...

We got this in a "package"
Passport Travel BCD (neato mesh bag integrated into the BCD for carrying it)
Titan Regulator (first and 2nd stages)
ABS Ocopus
Suunato console (I paid to upgrade us to the "Gekko" dive computer + a compass)

We got these really nice split fins (sorry don't know brand or model, but they have hard plastic plates in them and are flexible, we heard from a couple divers that if your going to splurge, do it on fins and mask)

wet suit boots
Snorkles - not the dry snorkles but the one the shop said was most popular, looks like it has a cone near the top, supposed to help keep some water out of it.
Masks - my wife got her perscription!!! yea!!! she can see!!! lol, I got the same one with just glass in them, I think it was Alaris?

So the next big thing is wetsuits... I know I'm going to need an XXL or XL, but finding one for my wife is going to prove difficult, has anyone here ever ordered a custom one? How long did it take to get in? We have this week and next week, then our class is over the weekend (then the next weekend is our open water dives). The training pool water is about 85 degrees, the quarry is another story... Training platform @ 20' is 77 degrees and @ 40' is 45 degress (spring fed quarry) !!! I was thinking a "7/6/5" wetsuit, but that could be too warm for the pool and for diving in the carribian right? I hate to buy two suits right off the bat, but I'm thinking that a 3/2/3 suit would be much better in the pool and for Florida/Carribian ? Or maybe we should just go with the 7/6/5 suits since the diving around this area is pretty cool water unless it's the heat of summer (St. Louis area) ????

We also went and purchased a hocky bag from the local megastore since they were cheaper than "dive equip bags", I think maybe down the road we'll end up with a "dive bag" but for now this should work.

MISC stuff I think we need eventually -
small dive knives (BCD's have built in attachment gromets, so I want to get something that will fit them)
small diver flash lights (we not planning any night dives, but I hear that when you get deeper a flashlight is helpful to see your gauges sometimes
Slate - for communications (I guess we should each have one huh?)

I'm just wondering if we should get that stuff in advance, put it in the zipper pockets of the BCD's so that we get used to weighting properly, or if we should be OK getting that "little" stuff later on?

Taking the mask completely off underwater scares the living "stuff" out a me, but I think I'll be able to work past it, as soon as our snorkles come in, first thing I'm gonna do is hit the backyard pool and practice (making sure I have someone around that can pull my drowning butt outa the water!)...

Last edited by rottielover; 07/11/2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07/11/2005, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

I'm pretty amazed that a dive store would sell all of that equipment to an individual who was scared just a week ago and hasn't even taken a class yet.

I, along with the dive shop I frequent, believe in taking time to get accustomed to gear. Initially, on your way through the class, you won't need anything more than a mask, snorkel, booties, and fins. Everything else can be RENTED until you decide you want to make diving part of your life. At your stage of the game, there really isn't much of a need for a BCD, regulator, wetsuit, etc. unless you have a lot of cash to burn. For my first 3 years of diving, I'd regularly go into our local shop and rent a BC, Tank, Reg, and wetsuit for the weekend...cost me about $20 to rent everything for 3 days. Once I began going into the shop much more frequently (about every weekend), then they suggested I buy my own gear to (1) save money on rentals, and (2) to get comfortable with my own stuff.

That being said, some comments...

Split fins: easier to kick with, but not for swimming against strong currents. More of a quarry/lake/caribbean style of fin. If you're going river diving, don't take these along as they probably won't be able to propel you against the current without a lot of effort...more effort means more air used. You do the math.

Wet suits...no need to go custom. Get a henderson titanium hyperstretch. It's the second wetsuit I've owned, the umteen-millionth I've tried on (rentals, etc.), and BY FAR the most comfortable one I've ever been in. Stretches like a dream for a maximum in movement, in with a 7mm. They also have women's sizes -- check with your dive shop. For me, it took 3 days to get the wetsuit in. As far as using a wetsuit in the pool -- at 85 degrees, you won't need one. You won't even need one in the caribbean. If you want to use one, you can always rent. In the quarry, go with a 7/5.

Save the purchases of lights, knives, and slates until you are completely certified and start doing some diving on your own with a "buddy" (your wife?)...you won't use any of them in your class. These things will only marginally affect your weighting...generally less than 2 lbs. of bouyancy.

And finally, if you can clear your mask using a snorkel as an air supply, you'll definitely be able to do it with a regulator...using a snorkel, it's far more difficult to get enough air in your lungs. If you become competent clearing your mask in your pool off a snorkel, you'll think that clearing it with a regulator is a breeze!

Good luck...
Old 07/11/2005, 01:20 PM
Registered Member

Hi Min0tar,

I think there are two phlisophy's out there... 1) as you were saying: Rent gear, make sure you're going to like it, then buy your own. 2) is : get trained/certified on your own gear, then your already accustomed to it etc.

After speaking with several of the instructors, and some of our friends that dive a lot, we decided to go ahead and buy our gear (we are very sure we want to make diving a part of our lives) and we get the added bonus of learning to do it safely with our own gear, and the instructors said they even take time aside (before or after class etc.) to help you with your own gear.

We've been told by many of our friends that dive, that they wish they would have purchased thier own sooner than what they did, as rentals get to be a hassle of making sure everything's OK with the rental gear, getting it adjusted, etc.etc.

No river diving for us! The rivers around here are to muddy, you couldn't see your hand if you placed it ON your mask. I think the rivers around here are off limits to rec. divers, I think the only people that dive in them are S&R divers etc. (I'm not SURE about this, but it would seem that way).

I've heard good things about the hyperstretch and x-flex suites. I agree we don't "need" to have the suit in the pool, however I've always tried to subscribe to the phylisophy of (paraphrasing) "Train as you dive and dive as you train", meaning basically to treat even training dives in the pool with the same ammount of serious attidude, and gear, as if we were diving a reef etc.

Thanks for the advice on the snokel mask clear, I'm also going to practice the "mask OFF for 1 min of breathing" with the snorkel to be sure too.

Thanks again for your advice, I think part of the dive shop selling the bulk of the gear in advance is not only they have less strain on the rental gear, but we'll get some personal instruction on our specific gear. I felt that was well worth the added expense "up front".

Anyway, I'm still excited about class, our open water dives, etc.... I almost can't wait to get into the quarry where we'll do our open water checkout dives. They have some "sunken treasures" there, like a sunken school bus, ambulance, and pickup trucks. Of course you don't go inside them, but it will still be cool to see them!
Old 07/11/2005, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

...snip...
After speaking with several of the instructors, and some of our friends that dive a lot, we decided to go ahead and buy our gear (we are very sure we want to make diving a part of our lives) and we get the added bonus of learning to do it safely with our own gear, and the instructors said they even take time aside (before or after class etc.) to help you with your own gear.

We've been told by many of our friends that dive, that they wish they would have purchased thier own sooner than what they did, as rentals get to be a hassle of making sure everything's OK with the rental gear, getting it adjusted, etc.etc.
...snip...
When I first learned to dive, I purchased my gear very early. Unfortunately I was not seasoned enough to recognize why some designs are better or worse than others.

I have two purchases that I really regret making:

1 - Split fins
Nearly all new divers use the flutter kick as their preferred (or only) mode of propulsion. As such, many have purchased split fins because they are supposedly more efficient (I too fell for this). However, the frog kick is the preferred method of propulsion for silty environments like lakes, shipwrecks and caves. Even if you never find yourself in these places, the frog kick is a very effective technique for keeping your feet off the delicate reef. Split fins do not work well for this type of diving. Split fins also do not work for helicopter turns (where you use only your fins to do a tight 360 deg horizontal turn that pivots at the center of your body).

2 - BC (or BCD)
In the beginning I purchased the most complicated looking rec/tech type BC that you could find. It had built-in pockets, integrated weights, D-rings all over the place, a chest strap, quick-release buckles, etc. Fortunately, I replaced it a year later with a very simple and clean backplate and harness. Though it is true that 90% of my diving is technical, you do not have to be a tech diver to use one. I see more and more recreational divers using these rigs. The reason you do not see them everywhere is because the dive industry is much like the fashion industry. They focus more on what looks good rather than focus on diver safety and analysis of how difficult it might be for someone to find/operate something in an emergency. It is said in technical diving that less is more. This is very true for any sort of diving.

Whatever gear you do wind up with should be the result of thorough research on your part. Never get something just because it looks good or because the dive shop owner gives you a sales pitch. Do the analysis, think it through, don't be too eager, and keep it simple.
Old 07/11/2005, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Congrats Rottielover! Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first experience!
Old 07/11/2005, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

yea, I really did enjoy it, I hope I have many years of enjoyment comming

Tech Diver's right though, we're way to green to be making huge purchases, but so far we've not spent what I consider to be a "huge" ammount... That said I suppose that the longer we dive, and the more experiance we get, we'll be better able to purchase equipment suited to us and the type of diving we want to do.

Right now, we're planning mostly to hang around with the local dive shop club, and follow them around like lost puppy's on thier trips Though I hear that they have a great time on those trips...

As I have not tried the (strokes? kicks?) that your describing (frog and 360) I can't comment on my fin purchase yet as to how they perform. I can tell you that we skipped over the really "floppy" split fins, and got the nice model (with the hard plastic plates in them to keep them from being too "bendy". The idea is supposed to be you get the best of both types of fin (split and solid). Remains to be seen, so after I get my snokel I'll jump in the backyard above ground and try out some of those kicks and let you know. From what I read on the internet message boards the "split / no split" debate sounds like it's going to rage on for a while to come!

As far as our choice on the BCD we choose those based on a few things: Fit and comfort - we tried on just about every BC they had in the shop, and this "Passport" model was lightweight, and comfortable (even fully inflated). We also choose them because the instructor's use a similar (yet more expensive model), they also have a mesh bag built into the back that folds out and allows easy carry, it's a pretty handy feature to us, since it will make carring it around a lot easier. We both liked the integrated weight system they have, perhapse that's from being "green", but there seem to be a lot of people swearing by them instead of belts.

I guess we just have to find our "style" yet...

OH, thanks for the tips on the knife, slate, etc. I kinda figured to hold off on buying that kind of stuff, but I wanted to be sure.
Old 07/12/2005, 08:50 AM
Registered Member

Here's a funny story about my wetsuit purchase for you rottielover...

After I had purchased my first wetsuit (a 7/5 Henderson titanium hyperstretch), I wanted some pool time to get accustomed to it (I had been doing exclusively caribbean diving up to this point), which the dive shop graciously provided to me.

Well, the pool was at a YMCA...an indoor pool...the water temp was 85 F, and the inside air temp was about the same and VERY humid.

My first time putting the suit on took a while, and I was struggling a little bit...because of the warmth of the suit and the high temp in the pool area I was sweating pretty profusely...I had just geared up and was getting ready to enter the pool when the instructor came over and asked me if everything was all right and why I got out of the pool already...because I was sweating so much, it looked like I had already been swimming! Needless to say, I cut the pool session short because of extreme heat...I was pretty certain I was rapidly dehydrating, especially with the tank air that dehydrates you naturally...I don't regret the purchase for quarry diving here (northeast, USA) but for water at 85 it's WAY too much on the overkill side.

On another note...

One valuable piece of equipment which I noticed you hadn't mentioned, but which could be VERY useful (more so than knives, slates, lights, etc.) is a dive computer. Highly recommended piece of equipment. Everything becomes much simpler when you're using one, in my opinion. Just something else to consider.

Again, good luck and welcome to a whole new world...!
Old 07/12/2005, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
..snip
As I have not tried the (strokes? kicks?) that your describing (frog and 360) I can't comment on my fin purchase yet as to how they perform. I can tell you that we skipped over the really "floppy" split fins, and got the nice model (with the hard plastic plates in them to keep them from being too "bendy". The idea is supposed to be you get the best of both types of fin (split and solid). Remains to be seen, so after I get my snokel I'll jump in the backyard above ground and try out some of those kicks and let you know. From what I read on the internet message boards the "split / no split" debate sounds like it's going to rage on for a while to come!
...snip...
Here are some videos of the proper way to frog kick. Note how knees are bent 90 degrees to raise the fins off the bottom. This is pretty much the standard way to swim in technical diving. Even when not swimming, the knees are always kept bent in this position.
http://www.5thd-x.com/videos/frogkick.html
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Vid...ofrogkick1.htm
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Vid...ofrogkick2.htm

Here is a video of the modified frog kick that generates very little turbulence and takes an amazingly small amount of energy to propel you. When you get it right, you really can feel it.
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Videos/VideoModfog.htm

Here is a video of the helicopter turn
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Vid...oHeloturn1.htm

Here is a video of how to fin backwards
http://www.5thd-x.com/videos/backkick.html
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Vid...ckkick1htm.htm
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Vid...ckkickside.htm

I agree that the debate will continue amongst the recreational diving community about split vs. non-split fins. However, the technical diving community is more than 99% in the non-split camp because split fins just don't work for the types of maneuvers we make. In fact, the two overwhelmingly most common fins used are the Scubapro Jetfins and the Turtle fins. Both are made of hard rubber, are negatively buoyant, and have remained unchanged in their design for several decades. The only modification we make is to throw away the rubber heel straps and replace them with Stainless Steel spring straps so they will never break.
Old 07/12/2005, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Sweet! Thanks for the video links Tech Diver!!!!!

Quote:
One valuable piece of equipment which I noticed you hadn't mentioned, but which could be VERY useful (more so than knives, slates, lights, etc.) is a dive computer. Highly recommended piece of equipment. Everything becomes much simpler when you're using one, in my opinion. Just something else to consider.
I thought I had mentioned it... We "upgraded" to a Suunato Gekko dive computer... I've only "played" around with it in order to set the time, date, depth alarm (for now I set it to 100 ft. I'm sure our instructor will ask us to change that).... So far it's pretty cool little gadget. I've read the manual twice now, and I'm still not sure of every function, but I'm sure as I keep studying I'll get it.