Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers

Old 05/12/2005, 04:27 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

New Acans and Echino w/ pics

I picked up a few goodies on a business trip this week.

Acan Lord

Same - no flash

Acan Echinata(?) or Subechinata

Closeup

Echino
Old 05/12/2005, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

They are nice...why can't I have business trip like that
Old 05/12/2005, 04:47 PM

One of the few perks in an otherwise very mediocre job.

I see you're in Toronto. I was on my way back to Ohio from there when I got these.

Quote:
Originally posted by Duce
They are nice...why can't I have business trip like that
Old 05/12/2005, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Did you bill your company? You were on a business trip.
Old 05/12/2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
Did you bill your company? You were on a business trip.

LOL No, I didn't bill them, but I'm in the pet industry and get to visit lots of LFS's. Let's just say I didn't pay the price on the tank
Old 05/12/2005, 11:29 PM
Premium Member

Always a good thing. I'm actually surprised that those were in a sale tank and that they had it long enough to put a price on.
Old 05/13/2005, 06:17 AM
Confused yet?

Quote:
Always a good thing. I'm actually surprised that those were in a sale tank and that they had it long enough to put a price on.
You and me both.

Of course they might not have known what they were.

SPStoner, your in the pet industry, and you are here staying up to date on your SW education. That is just wrong, wrong I say.

Chocolate, its not just a candy, its a way of life!
Old 05/13/2005, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Narkon
You and me both.

Of course they might not have known what they were.

SPStoner, your in the pet industry, and you are here staying up to date on your SW education. That is just wrong, wrong I say.

No, this store new exactly what they were. It's actually a pretty good store, although somewhat high priced. The Lord was in a display show tank, along with about 6 others, and as with most good stuff, not for sale. Being in the industry, I was able to sweet talk the owner into parting ways with one of them. The other two were in sale tanks, though the Echino didn't have a price ( the owner said he was letting it color up to decide if it should go in the display or for sale)
As for being in the industry and still actually knowing what I'm doing... I hear you, it's frightening how many people survive in all levels of this industry with frighteningly low levels of knowledge. For me, it actually started about 15 years ago as a necessity. Being in the industry ( and getting the discounts ) was the only way I could afford to have a reef tank. Now, it's just a nice perk to sustain my addiction
Old 05/13/2005, 06:33 AM
Confused yet?

I forgot to say. Those are very nice items. Really like your Echino.

Old 05/13/2005, 01:17 PM
Moved On

Sweet peieces. Pick me up some next time!!!!!!!
Old 05/13/2005, 01:42 PM
Registered Member

What a small world it really is.

Nice piece SPStoner. I was there when it was pulled out of the bag 6 or 7 months ago. I always liked that piece because of the 3 different color morphs on the same piece. I worked for that LFS for almost 4 years up until last month. I got a call from the owner yesterday saying he'll be getting more in and he wanted to know if I wanted to go in with him.

Here is a picture of it from November. I took a bunch when it first came in and even posted it somewhere in the old Acan thread. It was the only lordhowensis to come into the store while I worked there. It came in mislabeled as a red and green Favia.

Good luck with it.
Old 05/13/2005, 01:52 PM
Premium Member

I need a store like that to be next door to me.
Old 05/13/2005, 01:56 PM
Confused yet?

Quote:
Tacocat, I still don't believe there are stores like that, I think they are just telling us that so we will keep dreaming, not realizing they have sold thier souls to the Sea God.

Old 05/13/2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I never thought I'd hear someone from Cali saying they didn't have any good LFS

Seriously, I don't have any near me, either. I have about a 2 hour drive East or West to hit a good store.

Randy- I was amazed that Jon hooked me up since it was in the display. He told me about the shipment next week, too. ( I've got dibs on 2 of them ) We've probably met before. I was wondering which LFS you worked at. How come you left?

I actually sent you a PM before I left earlier this week to see if you could recommend some stores in the area. Are there any other good ones besides PP?
Old 05/13/2005, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Nah, we have plenty of nice LFS near us. I was at one for lunch. We just don't get the really exotic stuff in. Actually we do, but unfortunately, our LFS in California offer overnight shipping to people back east . That and we have some really good cherry pickers with well-trained eyes. Thankfully most of them are really friendly and generous.
Old 05/13/2005, 05:10 PM
Confused yet?

Quote:
Nah, we have plenty of nice LFS near us. I was at one for lunch. We just don't get the really exotic stuff in. Actually we do, but unfortunately, our LFS in California offer overnight shipping to people back east .
We don't have these LFSs here, mind giving me the names and sites if they overnight ship it to shoppers this direction, maybe I can see also what they get in?

Old 05/13/2005, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

www.atlantisaquarium.net is probably a really good representation of a high end LFS. Another is www.aquatic-gallery.com
Old 05/13/2005, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SPStoner

Randy- I was amazed that Jon hooked me up since it was in the display. He told me about the shipment next week, too. ( I've got dibs on 2 of them ) We've probably met before. I was wondering which LFS you worked at. How come you left?

I actually sent you a PM before I left earlier this week to see if you could recommend some stores in the area. Are there any other good ones besides PP?
Hey,
I left on good terms. We just had our first baby this month, and I needed to free up my schedule.

I think the only reason he sold that Acan was because he was getting more in. I offered him a good amount of cash for half of it a few months ago. He said he would think about it. Later on he told me he would rather trade with me for some of the colors I had. Things got busy, and before I knew it, I was putting my 2 weeks in.

Did I respond to you about the LFS's in this area? I get so many pms that I have to delete them right away.

Pet's Plus is one of the best places to find unusual corals.

Another great SW fish store is Saltwater Paradise in North Tonawanda. He has great livestock, but not a lot of unusual corals. There is The Fish Place in North Tonawanda as well which is huge Fish store and the salt section has gotten much better over the years.

Those are the best 3 in Buffalo. Rochester NY has a few really nice Saltwater Only stores too.