Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 04/06/2005, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I own Gen X pcx-40. I'm very happy with it. I think that it is a great value at its price point.

T
Old 04/06/2005, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

The PCX series is a totally different animal.
Old 04/11/2005, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs down I agree

here's mine, It was making so much noise after only 2 months that I took it out to see if sand or a rock was stuck in it. I found a bristle worm and this. The impeller was rusted really badly as well as that "heat preventer."

I think the manufacture could prevent a lot of heat by making a better pump.

I’d like a replacement pump if anyone knows how to go about getting one.
Old 04/12/2005, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

good cust service , very good... but doesnt count for sh*t when the pump is crapping out and they are making excuses .. take the bracket from a gen x water pump , put it in a 1 gallon jug of ANY kind of salt water and it will rust... no metal should be in there at all unless its
breastanium ( tit )
Old 04/12/2005, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

VERSUS, breastanium... good one!

Actually, any grade of stainless steel above 316 has excellent corrosion resistance. The higher the number the higher the nickel content and of course the more expensive it is.

DAVEBUDD, what model is that? It looks different. Thanks for posting that picture.

C'mon people. Check your GenX submersibles for rust and post your pictures. Let's see how big of a problem this is.
Old 04/12/2005, 09:31 AM
Hi

I will check mine as soon as I get home from work...I was running a 8500 for a few months but I just took it out the other day.
Old 04/12/2005, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Do you have to cut it apart to check?
Old 04/12/2005, 12:28 PM
RC Sponsor

As an update to this post. I have contacted Pacific Coast Imports for a follow up on the Gx-4100 water pumps. They have made modifications to the design of their submersible pumps. They will now all be encased in Epoxy, similar to the larger models. If you feel you are having unresolved issues with the model you have, they can be taken care of by contacting Pacific Coast Imports directly at the E mail address below:
sales@pacificcoastimports.com

Thank you
Tony Concialdi
Reef Exotics
www.acropora.net
Old 04/12/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

I would never use any type of stainless steel in a saltwater environment. The Chromium in the stainless steel is not exposed to enough oxygen to "heal" the stainless steel if scratched, which in turn lends the stainless steel to rusting. Titanium all the way, or cover the thing in epoxy!
Old 04/12/2005, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orucco
Do you have to cut it apart to check?
No. The back will pop off. It's a cover so you don't see the rust!
Old 04/12/2005, 01:17 PM
Moved On

I have the 6000 as well that I got about a year ago. There is no exposed metal.
Old 04/12/2005, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

I just got an e mail from my supplier. GenX has changed the design and the new ones will be ready in 40 days or so. They are sending me a replacement when they get one. Thank-you GenX, Pacific Coast Imports, and Strictly Salt (London, Ontario). I'll post pictures of the new design when I receive it.
Old 04/12/2005, 02:28 PM
Moved On

What pumps from them are the problem pumps? Weird that my 6000 and 8500 are different than the others pumps with metal plates.
Old 04/13/2005, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

DAVEBUDD, what model is that? It looks different

it is a 6000
Old 04/13/2005, 02:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by acropora
If you feel you are having unresolved issues with the model you have, they can be taken care of by contacting Pacific Coast Imports directly at the E mail address below:
sales@pacificcoastimports.com
Thanks for that information, I just sent them my picture and a request for a new pump...we'll see.

Once again, I am amazed by reefcentral. Thanks to everyone who makes this site what it is.

dave budd
Old 04/13/2005, 08:03 AM
Sponsor
10 & Over Club

I talked to Stephen at PCI yesterday and he said it will take a little while to get the new pumps in stock, but he will take care of the problem if you have one. Just either contact the original company you bought the pumps from or PCI directly and it will be taken care of...
Old 04/13/2005, 08:09 AM
Registered Member

you get what you pay for...a cheap pump will always be a cheap pump
Old 04/13/2005, 08:34 AM

Wow

I must say this is a good example of how hobbyists can impact the design of the products they use on a day-to-day basis. It sucks that PCI was using low grade SS in there submersible pump line but it seems that they have acknowledged the problem, and are making steps to improve it.

billpa
Old 04/14/2005, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

Would a mag 9.5 be a good replacement?
Old 07/02/2005, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

davebud did you get a replacement from pci for you pump I have one of the ones with the problem i sent them an e-mail today also
Old 07/02/2005, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

I am amazed that Pacific Coast Imports had the audacity to lie like they did. I would imagine it would not be hard to file a class action on this one. The balls that these companies have just amazes me. They would sell water with white food coloring and call it milk of there was such a thing as white food coloring. All the while telling you that your bones are better for it.

Bean
Old 07/03/2005, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

ziac- after I sent the first email explaining the situation and sending the picture, they replied with some crazy explanation. They said they would replace the impeller, but the pump was fine. I responded saying that it sounded like they were giving me the run around and that I would never buy or sell another one of their products. A few moments later I got a response saying that they would replace the pump.
I used to work for a manufacture/distributer and we took way better care of our customers. Sometimes we were reluctant, but if the customer persisted we took care of them. I didn't demand anything from them, I just stated facts and let them handle it the way their company handles problems and we'll see, maybe I'll get a replacement pump that is worth something....We'll see.

Dave
Old 07/03/2005, 09:06 AM
Premium Member

It is not worth something... it is a flawed design and Pacific Coast continues to sell these a reef safe pumps.

Run Around? How about an outright lie. I for one would be contacting legal council. These companies don't give a damn what they sell, as long as somebody buys it. It is a breach of trust to say the least.

The pumps are sold as salt water safe and pacific coast perpetuates this lie as evident by the corrospondence above. This is no different than selling people safe food with poison in it or a product with a KNOWN dangerous defect. I still can not believe there is not utter outrage over this. Pacific Coast has had the probelm served to them on a silver platter by customers and their distributors and their response is to lie and say everything is fine.

Good grief.
Bean
Old 07/04/2005, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

Well, I would be outraged if they said they would't replace the pump. Apparently they have changed the design and are sending out new ones. That was the story they gave me almost three months ago. If I don't get a new pump by the end of this month I'll be raising a sh*t storm. BTW the pump continues to rust. I have it sitting in some saltwater.
Old 07/04/2005, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm I noticed that the top has a little handle thing and it looks just like the pump I got with my Euro-reef... how can I find out if its problematic...

Bean, as far as class action goes... well let me first prefix this with I am a lowly 2L law student... I don't really know **** about ****... further... I CAN'T give any kind of legal advice (or the bar won't giv me my liscense in a year)... so just as discussion... and no kind of advice... I don't know about the class action against a hobby pump manufacturer... onoe of the first things you pick up in law school is the 'deep pockets principle' basically you only sue rich people... and I don't think pump manufacturers have that much money to spread around... especially after legal costs...

2nd... look this is a hobby... I doubt they honestly deceptively put out something that would harm reefers... I mean I would be rounding up the lynch mob or the possee just yet... I mean give em a chance...