Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 01/11/2008, 12:13 PM
Girl Geek

Sharks or Puffers/Triggers?

As I am rearranging some of my tanks, I'm planning on taking down my existing 125 and replacing it with at minimum a 180, but more likely around a 240. The existing 125 will be used as a sump. With rearrangements in tankmates, I'll be left with a blue regal tang, yellow tang, and coris wrasse.

At this point in planning, I'm stuck between planning for a bamboo shark or a porc/trigger mix for the future tank. I know that any choice must include the 3 fish that will be going into the new tank. I have just a few questions that may help decide.

Are sharks ok with decent size wrasses and vice versa? Mine is about 6" full grown.

Can a bamboo shark live a decent life in a 240gal? I may be able to go slightly larger, but I'd need to get out the tape measure. My blue tang at about 8" is in a 125 now, but it just seems it would be happier with a slightly larger tank. I want to make sure I don't get in the same situation a few years from now with a shark, though they don't seem to be as active as a tang.

Would a picasso trigger and porcupine puffer work together long term? With existing tankmates?

If you have been in a similar spot, what direction did you choose for a larger tank and why?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01/11/2008, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

Sharks are very cool but they are very in active.To me ounce the aweness goes away of owning a shark they are pretty boring especialy the ones that you can have in a smaller tank.I think a bamboo would be cramped in your new tank ounce it is full grown but it could be done in a 240,I am sur all of the so called shark experts will chime in and disagree with me so bewarned for bashers.I would got with your trig/puf idea and yes I think a humu humu trig and a pors puf will work fine with your current tankmates.I have about 15 sharks but I spend hardly anytime looking at there tank,I find myself in front of my fish only and my reef .I now have the sharks in a breeding setup,so hoprfully soon I will be supplying tank raised sharks to the public and wholesalers.I am currently breeding eppy's,gray bamboos,brown banded bamboos,horn sharks,white spot bamboos,marbled cat sharks,coral cat sharks and I am now looking for a pair of port jackson sharks.Good luck,Chris
Old 01/11/2008, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

I would definately go for the bamboo shark. You can keep them in a minimum of 180g so, a 240 would be a great home. You could put a couple small sharks an a 240. Triggers tend to be major nippers, it just depends on the individual. As for your tangs and wrasse, they should get along just fine. You could keep sharks, triggers and puffers int he same tank. The trigger is the only one to worry about nipping the sharks. Yes your tangs, wrasse, a puffer, and a trigger would be a good mix.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

If you have not tried reef keeping,it is very fun and you can have some very intresting stuff in them plus when corals outgrow your tank you can just frag them out.Maybe do a reef in your 125 as it sounde like it is pretty much there allready and do the predator tank in your new one.Just another oppinion, Chris
Old 01/11/2008, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

ive seen the puffer and trigger your talking about together in the pet shop i dont think it should be a problem.
Old 01/11/2008, 04:41 PM
Registered Member

I had too many problems with a trigger/shark combo, the trigger tried to pick at the shark too much, and 3 picks, the trigger was gone. The porc pufffer however, worked perfectly fine with the bamboo I had. No problems whatsoever.

buy the shark as a baby or an egg, and raise it from there. I was able to house my 17 inch bamboo with a 1 inch clown, and they became tankmates (it was funny watching the clown try to bring aquadine to the shark). If you raise the shark to not have to work for food, it wont associate your fish as food.

heres a picture for a laugh (clown brining shark food)

Last edited by limitedslip; 01/11/2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefer334
Sharks are very cool but they are very in active.To me ounce the aweness goes away of owning a shark they are pretty boring especialy the ones that you can have in a smaller tank.I think a bamboo would be cramped in your new tank ounce it is full grown but it could be done in a 240,I am sur all of the so called shark experts will chime in and disagree with me so bewarned for bashers.I would got with your trig/puf idea and yes I think a humu humu trig and a pors puf will work fine with your current tankmates.I have about 15 sharks but I spend hardly anytime looking at there tank,I find myself in front of my fish only and my reef .I now have the sharks in a breeding setup,so hoprfully soon I will be supplying tank raised sharks to the public and wholesalers.I am currently breeding eppy's,gray bamboos,brown banded bamboos,horn sharks,white spot bamboos,marbled cat sharks,coral cat sharks and I am now looking for a pair of port jackson sharks.Good luck,Chris
How expensive would one of your eppie eggs be?

I think you could do a shark, I'm really liking my marbled cat. Maybe consider a cortez ray, they are a ton of fun! Very interactive and social, even more so than a trigger!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:56 PM
Delaware Reef Club

reefer334

Do you have pics of your shark setup(s)? I looked through your gallery, but most of those are FO, and Reef. Just curious... Sorry for the hijack!