Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/25/2007, 02:00 PM
Coral Assassin

Is this normal - Skimmer Foam

I installed an octopus NW150 last friday. I ran the thing with a solution of vinegar and muriatic acid for a few hours before the actual install. I feed the tank heavily with mysis/oyster eggs/cyclopeeze/nori when I get back from work (around 5:30) which causes the foam head on the skimmer to disappear until about 9 at night. In the morning, the skimmer has pulled some good skimmate, and still has a very nice foam head. However, when I get back from work, I'll check the skimmer, and the foam head is completely gone. Is it possible that the skimmer is really efficient enough to pull all the proteins out of my tank, or is this normal during the break in period?

The skimmer is modded with 2 layers of gutter guard (soon to be PF4), and has a gate valve installed. Tank is a 58G. Inhabitants are:

1 - 3" Yellow tang
1 - 3" Lyretail Anthias
2 - 1" clownfish
1 - 2.5" pseudochromis
1 - 3.5" Watchman goby
2 - Skunk cleaner shrimp
Old 01/25/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Does the water level change frequently in your tank do to evaporation?
Old 01/25/2007, 02:05 PM
Coral Assassin

The level in the sump has remained fairly constant. I'm using a persistaltic pump to drip, the water level drops in the return pump chamber maybe an inch a day (skimmer chamber water level is the same). I pour in a gallon of ro every 2-3 days to keep it level (the actual evaporation rate is somewhere between settings on the peristaltic). I imagine salinity is pretty constant.
Old 01/25/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

I am not familiar with Octopus skimmers but in my experience (depending on your pump), the change of even an inch of water level could cause inconsistent performance from a skimmer.
Old 01/25/2007, 02:17 PM
Coral Assassin

Are we talking salinity of the water causing the inconsistent performance, or water level height in the sump? If we're talking about the water level, I imagine it isn't an issue, because the water level drops only in the return chamber; the skimmer sits inside the 1st chamber, where water level doesn't change.
Old 01/25/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

I am talking about water level. If it doesn't change than that is not the issue and the extent of what I can do to help you. Hopefully someone with Octopus skimmer experience will help you out.

To answer your original questions, it is possible to be foaming differently and the skimmer working perfectly. Especially if your tank is 58g. Do you have Coralline growth in your tank?
Old 01/25/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

Barring any mechanical problems, my best guess would say it is in a break in period. You will probably establish a new level of foam production after a few days that will be your daily skimmate. Did you add any chemicals or carbon to the tank during this time?
Old 01/25/2007, 02:35 PM
Coral Assassin

Very little coralline (I think my lights are a bit too intense for coralline). 450 ca/8.6 dkh/1350mg/0-1 nitrates
Old 01/25/2007, 02:37 PM
Coral Assassin

Quote:
Originally posted by jmcmahon66
Barring any mechanical problems, my best guess would say it is in a break in period. You will probably establish a new level of foam production after a few days that will be your daily skimmate. Did you add any chemicals or carbon to the tank during this time?
Yeah, I can't see it being a mechanical issue, as there are still tons of bubbles in the chamber during the "no foam head" period. There's actually some good skimming going on while the foaming is present; it's just a bit odd to me that sometime between morning/evening, that head disappears.