Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Deltec vs. Octopus

265 Reef being setup...first tank since a year ago when I took a break...had a 150 with a Deltec ap600 on it..loved it. Setting up new tank..fishstore owner swears by the Octopus 200 NW Recirculating skimmer...says ill be wasting money with the Deltec AP851...think that was the number..anyway..time for my friends hear at RC to chime in!!!
Old 11/28/2007, 09:25 PM
Moved On

I wouldn't put too much weight on LFS owners or workers. I got burned several times with bad advice because it is what they sell. I remember once, my LFS owner said a great skimmer was the Kent Marine Nautilus. Lucky, I didn't take his advice, but then I didn't do much better either as I bought a AquaC Remora Pro and then changed to Tunze 9010 and both weren't very impressive. Of course, I learned how unimpressed I was with both those skimmers when I bought my ATi Bubblemaster 160.

For your setup, depending on your bioload, even the AP851 might be too small. If you plan on heavy bioload or a SPS dominated tank, you should look at the AP702 instead. But a less expensive alternative is the ATi Bubblemaster 250. If you want to go with a skimmer that is even better built quality than Deltec and performs very similiar, you can't beat H&S for both quality performance and built.
Old 11/28/2007, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

The Deltec is a great skimmer, expensive, but is awesome. I have no experiance with the Octopus though.
Old 11/28/2007, 10:35 PM
kz skimmer rocks

octpus isnt in the same league
Old 11/28/2007, 11:09 PM
One Good Friend

I would NOT agree with you octo bashers. The new line of octo extreme skimmers out there by swc will hang with any of the above. The octo extreme with the 2xsicce's at 10" diameter and around 95-100scfh will work just fine. And at 475bux compared to the 750-well over a grand...........i don't even see a comparison here.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:20 PM
Registered Member

hey luke...

where can one find these new Octo "extreme" skimmers with the Sicci pumps.

I know that the Sicci pumps are the same ones used on the bubble masters, so I know if this is true, then the new Octo skimmers are probably pretty damn good, especially with that much airflow.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
John
Old 11/28/2007, 11:39 PM
Moved On

The original question was a LFS owner told ccradr that he'll be wasting his money on a AP851, buy a Octopus NW200 instead. I'm sure this comment came because the LFS sells Octopus skimmers and not Deltec. So, the original question had nothing to do with Sicce pumps on the Octopus skimmers. I don't think the NW200 is anywhere close to the AP851. But then again, I wouldn't buy either skimmer. And since Sicce pumps were brought up... I don't think the unmodified Sicce performs the same as the ones on the ATi Bubblemaster skimmers.

This was taken from the ReefGeek sponsored forum:

Originally posted by ReefGeek-Greg
Before I begin let me make is absolutely clear that the PSK 2500 pumps used by hahnmeister were not purchased through ATI or ReefGeek and I’m pretty confident they were not purchased through any of our authorized dealers. And because they were not purchased from us they may not have the same modifications as our pumps which could cause significant differences in the pumps performance.

Since I don’t know the origins of hahnmeister PSK 2500 pumps I cannot comment specifically about his results, but I can say that we seen both exceptional performance and reliability from these pumps when used on with a Bubble Master skimmer. (All PSK 2500 pumps used on Bubble Master Skimmers are run completely submersed in water.)

We began selling the Bubble Master Skimmers in Nov of 06 and to date only two PSK 2500 pumps have been returned to us truly defective. That’s less than 1% of the total units shipped. By almost any measure that very, very good reliability. We’ve also had virtually no complaints about the noise or heat produced by the pumps.

Warmest Regards,
Greg@ReefGeek
Old 11/28/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

I do have one thing to say about the deltecs... they are nice. I've always been impressed by their performance and I don't think you could go wrong with any of the high performance skimmers out there. Not so sure about these extreme octopus skimmers, but I don't think I would compare the currently available octopus skimmers to the deltecs .

You'll pay more, but most likely you won't regret the purchase of a deltec, H&S, Bubbleking, Bubblemaster, etc...

Although, one very interesting new skimmer on the market is the Reeflo skimmer that is designed for big tanks such as yours. They are apparently very efficient and quiet and based on a very dependable pump. I know that sequence spent a good amount of R&D time on manufacturing the NW for the pump itself. Might be worth a look if you have a big system to handle, although the Reeflo 250 may be too much skimmer for your tank. I think they are making a smaller version and that may work out well for you. It's a little cheaper than the deltec and seems to be built with a lot of care and thought. If I were to ever get a system exceeding 300 gallons, I would definitely think hard between a Deltec, H&S, Reeflo, BM and an aquatic acrylics skimmer. The Bubble kings are still way too expensive for me.

Peace,
John
Old 11/28/2007, 11:50 PM
One Good Friend

Hmm, lots of confusion here. Yes, the deltec is better than the octo200nw. But wasn't it you Kim who threw out there the ati bm comment. I just wanted to let them know the octo is much cheaper and it IS a meshwheel sicce pump so its modded and does pull 22-24lpm air. You can pre order them at www.marinesolutionsinc.com HTH. Wasn't trying to be rude Kim, just fair man. And i'm not really sure what Haun has to do with any of this.
Old 11/28/2007, 11:57 PM
Registered Member

It's just too bad that the Sicce pumps still haven't been used in a recirculating fashion. It kind of stinks that you have to stick that big ole' skimmer in the sump. Hehe

Looks like a good deal on that SWC skimmer. If it really is a quality modded Sicce pump, then that'll do it. Looks like it has a monster body to handle all the airflow as well.

I think it's just great that there are so many great skimmer options out there now. Really good skimmers, at really good prices.

Peace,
John
Old 11/29/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Just imagine what we would get if the hobby was mainstream. It is ludicrous what we pay for a hunk of acrylic and a pump.
Old 11/29/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

WOW...lot's of info...thanks....So now Im thinking about the Bubble King also....have not seen the extreme octopus yet...by the waay, the Octopus I am refereing to is a recirculating one.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

ccradr,

We know about which octopus you are talking about and it in no way competes with the deltec you are talking about... at least not stock anyways.

However, the extreme Octos that luke mentioned seem promising. Although, if you go with them, you will be the guinea pig.

Peace,
John
Old 11/29/2007, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

I dont wanr t to have to do all those MODs just to get good skimming out of the octopus
Old 11/29/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Well, then your answer becomes a little easier then. Hehe

Peace,
John
Old 11/29/2007, 12:56 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by ccradr
WOW...lot's of info...thanks....So now Im thinking about the Bubble King also....
Wow, this thread changed quickly and you are thinking along high end/high performance skimmers now. If that's the case, I believe that the H&S skimmer is probably the best that you can buy for your setup based on more reasonable pricing for high end skimmers, double the warranty with great customer support behind that warranty, built quality and fair replacement parts costs. For example, the top 3 contenders that will fit your 265g setup:

1. H&S A200 $1,299 for normal bioload
A250 $1,899 for heavy bioload
Replacement pump cost $350

2. Bubbleking 200Ext $1,925 for normal bioload
BK 300Ext $2,199 for heavy bioload
Replacement pump cost, not sure, but probably over $800

3. Deltec AP851 $1,190 for normal bioload
AP902 $1,962 for heavy bioload
Replacement pump cost $600

If you plan to stock heavy, feed heavy and have a large sump/refuge, go with the H&S A250, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 11/29/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I would take the Reeflo 250 of the ones listed above around $1,200. so at least $600 less than the 3 above.

my father in law has a DAS EX3 on his 210 with 55 gallon sump and it pulls put nasty stuff.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Performance wise..you thing the H&S 250 out performs he Deltec AP902??? or are you strickly talking replacement costs?
Old 11/30/2007, 01:50 AM
Moved On

I am sure that both skimmers will perform head to head, but my bias is slanted towards H&S because:

1. Warranty: H&S 2 years, Deltec 1 year
2. Construction: H&S uses thicker acrylic, seams are welded instead of glued, & extra support bands around where the pump attaches to the skimmer body (probably overkill, but it definitely gives you confidence in the construction when you've seen one)
3. Replacement parts costs:
Eheim 1260 Pump, H&S $350, Deltec $600
Eheim 1260 Impeller, H&S $140, Deltec $250
4. Customer Service: H&S has consistent great customer service, never see them disappear for weeks at a time
5. Shipping costs: H&S has free s/h/i from some dealers, Deltec has extremely high s/h/i costs, double what Fins Reef charge for the same size skimmer

I hope this is the type of answer you are looking for. Performance wise, most will say they are head to head.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

Out of H&S and Deltec i would also get H&S for all the reasons listed above.

H&S are built like tanks
Old 11/30/2007, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

got money to burn? buy the deltec.

want to spend money in other areas? buy an octo recirc.

they both get the job done and they both have great resale value.
Old 11/30/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I remember when Deltec on this forum was revered...now it has become the step child of skimming...
Old 11/30/2007, 05:07 PM
Moved On

They were revered because of excellent domestic marketing. If you ask someone overseas, about the 2 skimmer lines, H&S is much more expensive compared to Deltec, so their perception is H&S is a better skimmer. Deltec is much more expensive domestically, so along with good marketing, the perception is it's the better skimmer. I don't think very many will rock the boat, so they would say both skims very similar.
Old 11/30/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

well rock the boat...head to head...which one outskimms?
Old 11/30/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ccradr
I remember when Deltec on this forum was revered...now it has become the step child of skimming...
Deltec still makes a very good skimmer and they work well. The European skimmers are still at the top of the heap in regards to performance. People who purchase or use them are probably just tired of useless debate and constant criticism of naysayers.

You won't find too many Deltec/H&S/BK users chiming in on which skimmer.... threads due to all the nonconstructive derogatorty comments like got money to burn, etc. (Those are so 2005/2006).

I've played or owned them all, and each has their faults and positives that are unique to each repsective brand.