Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/07/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

The tank looks good, but I do question some of the things you put your fish through. Good luck with it anyway. It looks like a great set-up and a bit of a challenge for a FOWLR.
Old 11/07/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by TitoTee
Why are you doing this? To kill the algae? I hope you don't think that is why the fish are dying. The Idols are dying because they ussually do - they don't last long in captivity. Also, the other fish you lost I believe is because you added too many too soon. You're tank is fine you should leave it alone.
I´m gonna do this because I have Cryptocarium in the aquarium and the dead are caused by it. By doing this I´ll try to get out the crypto...

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 11/07/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlopes
Hi,

I´m gonna do this because I have Cryptocarium in the aquarium and the dead are caused by it. By doing this I´ll try to get out the crypto...

Cheers,
Diogo
Dear Sir,

The reason you have ICH in your tank is because you have added too many fish at such a short time. Many of these fish are stressed and are loosing their immune systems ability to fight disease. You must understand that you cannot add that many wild caught fish from the sea into youyr aquarium in such little time.

Sir,

I implore you to just lest the tank be - there will be some survivors. After your tank has settled - then add one fish at a time. you may have experience with Reef keeping but fish are a whole different ballgame. By scrubing the tank and treating the tank you will accomplish nothing but stress more fish.

I had a 125 gallon and I killed a lot of fish because I added soo many in soo little time - then I learned that I cannot just add a whole bunch of fish. after that - I was able to keep fish alive.

By the way - I too had ICH and parasites and I treated with medication and copper and tore the whole tank down for nothing. The answer was lying within me - when I learned that I cannot add a bunch of fish in so little time.
Old 11/08/2007, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

I would just like to point out while you have a magnificient tank, you yourself admit that some of the fish you have put in their should not be put together and will kill eachother. You state you started with nine clowns and will prolly end with two. Why not save the ones that are still alive? While its a cool trend to go against the norm, you should only do it if you have the resources and experienced. From my point of view I think you lack both. Anyone attempting to mix species that shouldnt be mixed and attempt species considered expert only and have a poor survival rate at the very LEAST, should QT. They should have enough time to monitor the fish and remove the problems asap. Not leave them in there to fend for themselves. Do some research bro!
Old 11/14/2007, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Hi,
I've been reading the thread and I'm sorry to hear of the deaths of your fishes. I've too have been keeping marine tanks a long time, actually longer than 20 years. I would agree with the posts that suggest you not lower the salinity of your tank. Aside from not fixing the ich problem, to remove the inverts to another tank would be quite stressful on them.

I am an anemone aficionado, I have H. magnificas and RBTA's that I've had for years--not in the same tank though. I noticed that at some point you added a condylactis to the tank with two H. magnifica. I strongly suggest that you remove the condylactis. It really is not a good idea to mix different species. And, condy's are known to move around frequently, all the more reason to remove it to another tank.

You mentioned that you had an H. magnifica for 4 years once, what happened to that anemone? I always am curious about the fate of anemones.

Best of luck to you and your tank occupants. Hopefully all will settle. No more additions and the removal of the condy would be my advice.

Gary
Old 11/14/2007, 07:29 AM
Registered Member

Hi Gary,

Quote:
Originally posted by garygb
I would agree with the posts that suggest you not lower the salinity of your tank. Aside from not fixing the ich problem, to remove the inverts to another tank would be quite stressful on them
I´d already removed all LR and Inverts from the main tank. The fishes were very bad and I had the need to do something. I lost the Chaetodon xanthurus and the last Zanclus.

As I said know I have the water within 1011/1012 ppm and one week as passed and the fish are really well...

Once I´m gonna have the fish in hiposalinity for at least 6 weeks I had another fish...!! Now a magnificient Pomacanthus chathometopon.

I know that I´m very stubborn but this was one oportunity that I couldn´t miss!

Quote:

I am an anemone aficionado, I have H. magnificas and RBTA's that I've had for years--not in the same tank though. I noticed that at some point you added a condylactis to the tank with two H. magnifica. I strongly suggest that you remove the condylactis. It really is not a good idea to mix different species. And, condy's are known to move around frequently, all the more reason to remove it to another tank.
They all went to a LFS and wont come back.

Quote:

You mentioned that you had an H. magnifica for 4 years once, what happened to that anemone? I always am curious about the fate of anemones.
When I got married I couln´t had an aquarium for a couple of months and the magnifica went to a LFS (I lost the track)

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 11/14/2007, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

You need to get that down to 1.009 to be sure to kill the parasites.

Looks like you're down to two clowns. Did you give some away?

What happend to the anthias?
Old 11/14/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Hi Ed,

Quote:
Originally posted by Big E
You need to get that down to 1.009 to be sure to kill the parasites.

Looks like you're down to two clowns. Did you give some away?

What happend to the anthias?
I´d read that 1.012 will do the work! Are you sure that 1.009 is needed?

I have 4 clowns - the mated pair and two others that now with no anemones in the tank are fine. The anthias seem to dislike the hiposalinity and are all 4 hidden. The only spot that they have is near the pumps. I must say that I think that they wont survive...

The eibli is now in the sump - he gave a very nice welcome to the chatoomethopon!

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 11/14/2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Wow. Looking at that tank empty like that - hopefully you picked up something along the way bud.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:12 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Looking at that tank empty like that - hopefully you picked up something along the way bud.
I had..!!

The LR are in a bucket in the dark (to get out all the algae) and with no fish - the only way to assure that no trofontes of crypto will survive.

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 11/14/2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

1.009 -.10 is the prescribed level

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html

I've had the parasite still live at the levels you have it at.

Some anthias struggle with hypo. Keep an eye on them.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:48 PM
Premium Member

Dlopes,

I just think that at this point you need to stop adding more animals. You can always get them later. Completely clean up the parasite situation and stabilize the tank and its bio system before moving ahead. This will take some time. The slower the better.

Maro1
Old 11/14/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Hey,
Good luck with the fish. Definitely quarantine if you decide to add any additional fish. If I were you, I would just keep the fish you have and not add any. Once you have the ich problem under control, then you can add the live rock and some soft corals. Understocking and letting the specimens grow and thrive ultimately makes for a much more pleasant aquarium experience, imo.

And thank you for updating me on your H. magnificas. It's probably a good thing that they went back to the LFS for now.

Best of luck to you and your fishes,
Gary
Old 11/14/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by Big E
1.009 -.10 is the prescribed level

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html

I've had the parasite still live at the levels you have it at.
Thanks for the link - I´ll get it down to 1.009.

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 11/14/2007, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maro1
Dlopes,

I just think that at this point you need to stop adding more animals. You can always get them later. Completely clean up the parasite situation and stabilize the tank and its bio system before moving ahead. This will take some time. The slower the better.

Maro1
I second this opinion as well. I was going to say it before but I held back.

Really, you will enjoy the fish more and the tank as a whole if you just let it settle down and stabilize.

Also - Remember Idols are some of the most difficult fish to keep alive in the hobby and they probably would have died anyway. In my opinion no one should try to keep an Idol unless they can devout lots of swimming room for the fish and have sponge on hand to feed. A fish food brand called NLS would also be a good part of the staple as well. The owner of this food brand has a video of his Marine FO tank with all of the fish he feeds excusively on NLS and ther is an Idol in there.
Old 11/14/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Hi TitoTee,

Quote:

Really, you will enjoy the fish more and the tank as a whole if you just let it settle down and stabilize.

Also - Remember Idols are some of the most difficult fish to keep alive in the hobby and they probably would have died anyway. In my opinion no one should try to keep an Idol unless they can devout lots of swimming room for the fish and have sponge on hand to feed. A fish food brand called NLS would also be a good part of the staple as well. The owner of this food brand has a video of his Marine FO tank with all of the fish he feeds excusively on NLS and ther is an Idol in there.
Thanks for your feedback - do you have a link to that video?

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 11/14/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Only thing I would add to that tank right now would be some PVC white plastic plumbing pieces to work as shelter for the fish to hide in and de-stress.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dlopes
Hi TitoTee,

Thanks for your feedback - do you have a link to that video?

Cheers,
Diogo
Here ya go Bud!

http://nlsfishfood.com/index.php?opt...tpage&Itemid=1

Just click on Video
Old 11/24/2007, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

Two weeks passed snce I started the hipo treatment and even with two more deads the other fish are doing fine. The chaetometopon didn´t make it and died a couple of days ago (this time I don´t think that could be anything else but poison...). Also the chaetodon punctofasciatus didn´t make it!

The stock in the tank is:

1 Pomacanthus imperador
1 Apolemicthys trimaculatus
1 Chaetodontoplus mesoleucos
1 Centropyge eibli
2 Chaetodon auriga
2 Chrysyptera cyanea
4 Amphyprion ocellaris
1 Salaria fasciatus

Here are some pics

The imperator is doing fine but has some marks in his head! Looks like the disease that the Discus got. Anyone can identify what´s wrong? Can it be just some scars from the crypto?

The trimaculatus is bigger and curiosly he was the only fish that didn´t got crypto.

The 2 auriga are very well and with bright color now. They seem to be the ones that are growing more in the aquarium.

Cheers,
Diogo
Old 11/24/2007, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

The emperor looks to have Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Have you been including greens and sponge in its diet? Deteriorating water conditions can also help cause the condition. You can fix it by getting the water clean and feeding it all the foods it needs.
Old 11/24/2007, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by LukFox
The emperor looks to have Head and Lateral Line Erosion. Have you been including greens and sponge in its diet? Deteriorating water conditions can also help cause the condition. You can fix it by getting the water clean and feeding it all the foods it needs.
Thanks for your feedback.
I´d found an article in Reefkepping Magazine by Steven Pro and his conclusion is very interesting...

"After all this, I guess I should go out on a limb and give my opinion as to the cause of this syndrome. Well, I am going to go a bit farther than that. I am going to say conclusively, once and for all, what causes this condition. Are you ready? Here goes… captivity. Yes, captivity causes MHLLE. I say that jokingly, but there is also some truth in this statement. As I said previously, MHLLE has not been seen on wild fish on the reefs (Blasiola, 1990). We therefore deduce that it is obviously something we, collectively as hobbyists, are doing or not providing for our aquatic pets that causes this ailment. What exactly that is will require further scientific experimentation to definitively prove. Until then, I agree with the broad recommendations of Terry Bartelme: reduce stress, improve nutritional regime, add vitamins and HUFA supplements to the diet, enhance water quality and also try beta glucan and garlic. Those same things have almost always worked for me when I have had an occurrence of MHLLE in the fish I care for, and hopefully they will work for you."

Once the water quality is fine and I´m giving the fish a well balanced diet I´ll try to had some garlic and beta glucan. Naturally that they stressed and for that I can´t do anything but wait until the treatment ends.

He´s eating very well. Here´s a close pic...

Cheers,
Diogo

Last edited by dlopes; 11/24/2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11/25/2007, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

when I moved my bi-color from my old 55 FOWLR to my reef she had a big start on HLLE, but with plenty of Sea-Veggies (she prefers green&purple) and Selcon she is gorgeous today...i think the pic of her in my gallery is "mid-treatment"...I've also treated my scopas tang with the same result...good luck.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

I am curious dlopes why don't you use PVC pipe for hiding places for your fish. Since you have a disease in the tank and it is running hypo your fish are already stressed. Add to this that they have no where to hide and I think you are asking for trouble. Adding some PVC pipe for them to hide will help them recover faster while also lessening the fishes stress.
Old 11/25/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

As much as many of us here have tried to give the best advice - it is what it is. I predict at least two more fish in that last pic will die within the month.

I am done with my input in this thread.

Keeping corals is not the same as keeping fish. In my opinion - once you have your water parameters right - meaning a cycled tank and using RO water with high output lighting - you basically can't go wrong with corals.

Keeping fish is a whole different ballgame! You can have a cycled tank and still kill fish after fish.

I say this because Dlopes says he's kept a Reef before.

When money is no problem I find that folks don't mind killing fish. It's the guy that says $140 of my hard earned money is a lot! You can be sure that kind of guy will learn how to keep fish alive.
Old 11/25/2007, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Great threadA! I've learned alot from this.
However,I pity those fish that died.
But look at the bright side,new lessons eh?