Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/22/2005, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

New to LPS corals

Over the past couple of weeks I've added some LPS corals to my tank, and wonder if anyone can either point me to some helpful articles or threads or offer any advice.

I was given a frogspawn with 2 heads a couple weeks ago, which so far seems to be doing well - not extending very much but it was kept in an outdoor tank under the sun so he said it might take a month. And today on the way home from work I picked up an orange flower pot - I believe it is Goniopora cf. somaliensis based on an article I found by Julian Sprung. They also had an ailing candy cane coral that has 4 heads with live tissue (only a couple that look very nice) that I want to try to save.

Basically, I haven't been able to find much information on how to care for these corals (although for some strange reason it appears candy canes are awfully popular in NY state?!?). From the postings I found they don't appear to be very difficult. It sounds like they might eat zooplankton and ought to be kept in the lower half of the tank. Does that sound right? Anything else anyone can add? What about flow? Anything to keep them away from?

Tank specs: my 50g tank is skimmerless and almost 1 year old, I have 2 VHOs and 2 NOs (300w total), 2 MaxiJet 1200s. Temp is around 80-82f, no nitrates and very low phosphates (I have chaeto and halimaeda algae growing in the tank), I constantly battle low pH, but everything else including calcium stays pretty good. Anything else that's important to know?

Thanks for your help.

John G.
Old 09/26/2005, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

...anyone?
Old 09/27/2005, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

You need some books and more research. Aquarium Corals by Eric is a great book to have to get you started.

If you don't know anything about gonioporas, I suggest you take it back and trade it for something else.

Euphyllias and Caulastreas are relatively hardy when properly acclimated & handled. It can also fair well in low to medium flow conditions.

There are tons of info on these corals. Good luck with your search.
Old 09/27/2005, 09:56 AM
Eric Borneman

Thanks...I was going to suggest the same thing.