Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2007, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
what is it and what is best way to kill?

This stuff has gotten completely out of control! It is like a bristle brush and almost impossible to scrub or pick off. My blennie tries to eat it but doesn't seem to be able to pick it off. My bristle tooth tang eats it but cannot seem to keep up with it. I want it gone! Any ideas of what is and what can do to get rid of? Sorry pic isn't better. [url=http://www.snapfish.com]

I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!
Old 12/27/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Your pic didn't work better discription please.
Old 12/28/2007, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
Sorry I am not figuring out how to download pic. I will try to describe. It is a dark green color and feels like bristle brush. Extremely hard to pick off or scrub off. spreads outward and covers but does not seem to affect corals or mushrooms at all. Is low and high on rocks and current has no effect. Bristle tooth tang will eat as that is why I got him per fish store personnel that he would eat it but he can't keep up with it and he seems to pick at it and spit it out too. I'll keep trying to figure out how to download but I'm not great with computers. Anything else for description let me know. I could not find pic of it in algea page. sorry for being so computer illiterate.

Old 12/28/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Is it this stuff???

Clicky above
Old 12/28/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

You can try an Urchin. But I have read they are hit or miss, as are most natural "remedies" of common aquarium nuisances.

Is your tank in a position to be deprived of light completely for a couple days? If it's a FOWLR than you can do this to try and weaken the growth, but it won't get rid of it on the first black out cycle.

You can also hook up a Phosban Reactor and hopefully have the media suck up any Phosphate before the algae does. This will also weaken the algae but probably won't rid you of the problem completely for a while.
Old 12/28/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for sending pic but not it. Not a bush or tree looking. Blankets like hair algea but is coarse like a wire brush. Have tried urchins a couple years ago and always more trouble than worth but if they destroy this stuff maybe can use them for a while. I am thinking is due to phosphates as I have not tested for awhile. Never had a problem and ran out of testing. I'll order today. Why would phosphates suddenly go up? Haven't done anything new with tank. Thanks again!

Old 12/28/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

best way to get a picture is to sign up for photobucket.... they let you upload the picture to their site then you can just copy the html code that they provide you for posting the picture on message boards
Old 12/28/2007, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

Ok, did I do this right?????

Old 12/28/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Pics worked. Please click on thumbnail and then click again and it will enlarge as well. Also, if makes a differance, the pieces left out over night and still feel same dry as when taken out of tank. Like a brillo pad.

Old 12/28/2007, 06:54 PM
Registered Member

OK, SERIOUSLY WHAT IS THIS? My other tank is the Tank Of Death. This is my pride and joy tank. I need to get rid of this stuff. It looks so bad. ANYONE....ANYONE....BUELLER?

Old 12/28/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

I've seen it but nothing like what you're experienceing. My guess is a naso or zebrasoma sp. tang would work best.

I'm not sure what a bristle tooth tang is.

We live with each other, not for ourselves - Protect our planet
Old 12/28/2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Tomini Bristletooth Tang(ctenochaetus tominiensis) is what I have. What is this stuff called though need help to identify. My tang and blennie cannot keep under control any longer. Thanks!

Old 12/28/2007, 11:10 PM
Premium Member

See if you can get a REALLY clear, detailed picture of the algae, then post it in the algae forum. There are much more experienced folks there who may be able to ID it for you - there are also links to sites you can visit to try and ID it yourself.

Google Bryopsis, see if that's it - it's a horrid pest algae, much worse then hair algae and not much will eat it.
Old 12/29/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Looks like Bryopsis. If it looks like little feathers on the end then this is likely the one. Many people have had luck raising their Magnesium levels to rid their tanks. Check out some of the threads on it for more information.

Here is a google search tool if the RC search does not work for you.

http://www.reefcentral.com/search.php?menu=11
Old 12/29/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

sea hare or lettuce slugs worked for me...