Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/12/2007, 01:06 AM
Premium Member

18 months ago

Today

Old 05/12/2007, 10:18 AM

very nice. I don't think I have ever seen a shot of the stand aftetr it was stained. It looks really nice.
Old 05/12/2007, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
very nice. I don't think I have ever seen a shot of the stand aftetr it was stained. It looks really nice.
Thanks Jonathan, here's another one.

Old 05/12/2007, 11:39 AM
Wish I had more tank time

Location: Yucaipa, California (some little town you've never heard of)
Two things, take looks great!! Please (when you have time) scrape the back wall. Look at the first FTS and the second. While the tank looks great it would look even better with a solid black rear wall. (I know it takes time, believe me!! )

Can we get a picture of the 1000 gallon Koi pond?

Keith

Superman owns Chuck Norris Pajamas!!
Old 05/12/2007, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stile2
Two things, take looks great!! Please (when you have time) scrape the back wall. Look at the first FTS and the second. While the tank looks great it would look even better with a solid black rear wall. (I know it takes time, believe me!! )

Can we get a picture of the 1000 gallon Koi pond?

Keith
I wish scraping the back glass would work out, The internal overflows can't be cleaned so I thought it was better to leave the whole back the same instead of black parts and then coraline parts. Next tank will be external overflows for sure!

They are a textured ABS plastic or something and impossible to scrape.

Pond pic, I'll have to dig up a decent pic or take a new one. I post it later.

Old 05/12/2007, 12:09 PM

you would crap if you saw my back wall Keith. The coraline is so thick it is peeling up and snails are gathering under it.

I sure wish I could get my viewing room remodeled. I still have a sheet rock wall...I think I may break Melev's record! I couldn't beat his "14 day project" but I am fairly certain I can go longer without wood around my tank.

Looks like their is a nice spa out back too...you must have a lot of fun paying your electrical bill!!
Old 05/12/2007, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Looks like their is a nice spa out back too...you must have a lot of fun paying your electrical bill!!
I'm paying $167 a month.
Old 05/12/2007, 07:29 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

The tank looks great!

I leave my back to the coraline as well.
Old 05/12/2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cprowler
I'm paying $167 a month.
Wow, that's pretty good. Maybe I should move North!
Old 05/14/2007, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

I'm heading out of town this afternoon, not sure for how long. I hope everything is ok when I get back.
Old 05/14/2007, 06:17 PM

I hope you did the cyano dance and spread the ashes of a neighbor's cat around your sump!
Old 05/14/2007, 09:27 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Ashes of the nieghbor's cat ... teeheehee

Love to see more pics of your pond when you get back, I'll be digging a pond at my new house later this summer.
Old 05/14/2007, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

Great thread!
Cheers to a fellow Canadian I'll have to find your other threads on canreef, I usually hang out on AQpros cause it's more local to me (GTA).
Your tank is an inspiration, good job!
Old 05/16/2007, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Just got back a few hours ago and everything looks fine,

Jonathan - That's frig'n hilarious!

Bax - I'll try and dig some up ( ), it's really not that impressive.

smp - Thanks for stopping in! This thread is way more in depth than the one on Canreef but on the other hand that one isn't bogged down with boring pics of every little thing that.........ah never mind, thanks again.

Speaking of Canreef and RC threads, here is a new thread on RC to check out by a long time Canreefer and my dive buddy. - Jason's 11 month old 370G
Old 05/17/2007, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Does anyone remember the name of the thread with all the videos, I did a search but can't find it.
Old 05/17/2007, 06:13 PM
TRC Leader

Did you check at the top of the Reef Discussion forum?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1023650
Old 05/17/2007, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Nope, I wonder why it didn't come up in my search.

Thanks Marc.

I found this one by Limpit while searching, it's worth a look. Link
Old 05/18/2007, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

Well after returning yesterday from 3 days away the dinos or cyano has returned with a Vengence. it's really starting to brown me off, no pun intended.

Well it may be since I have some other algae that has been annoying me for some time now and then this comes along. Ok, I'm coming clean. I have;

Dictoya
Halimeda
Lobophora
Pseudolithoderma
and some other brown furry stuff on some rock & spots on glass.

These have not been a huge problem, just enough to annoy me. The Dino/Cyano is starting to get out of control, added to the other lingering algae. I have got to do something.

I'm going to re-introduce ozone and Reefresh, I have used them before with mixed results. Since I already have them I'm going to give them another try.

Ozone - I picked up a Red sea 50 ml. in a trade some months ago and didn't see much if any difference and figured it was under sized. But now with my skimmer working way better I'm hoping for better results.

Reefresh - I haven't had any negative results, just positive. The only issue I have had is dosing twice a day, after 5 or 6 weeks I slack off. I do notice improved color and growth when using it.

Hopefully this low nutrient system will help with the algae, it is supposed to work better with ozone.
Old 05/18/2007, 11:39 AM
Hopelessly undecided

Cyano and dinos are really two very different problems. Although they look similar, one is easily treated and reasonably easily prevented, one is a nightmare and can strike with a vengence and is not easily treated at all.

Cyano can be treated with red slime remover. Of course, if you don't address the cause of cyano, it will eventually return. The most common trigger for cyano is nitrates. If you can keep nitrates low, cyano will have a hard time establishing a foothold.

Dinos on the other hand, don't seem to be triggered by nitrates or phosphates at a particular level, although I'm sure they are made worse in a nutrient rich tank. The only way that I've seen to effectively deal with dinos (I've had to suffer through them twice, and in both cases I nearly tore down the tanks, it was so bad), is to starve them of light. The problem is that you need to starve them of light for long enough for the population to crash. The problem with THAT is, guess what else is going to suffer... pretty much everything. AND when the time comes to start the light again, you have to re-acclimate everything, ie. start with 15 minutes on/45 minutes off, for your photoperiod, and gradually increase the time-on cycles every few days thereafter.

There is no effective treatment that you can add, like red slime remover, that will touch dinos. Even if there was, you'd have to think twice about using it, because zooxanthellae is a dinoflagellate, which means anything that indiscrimately terminates dinos will likely take with it your clams, your corals, anemones, .. anything that relies on zooxanthellae.

I really, really hope what you have isn't dinos...
Old 05/18/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Great post.. thx for sharing!
Old 06/04/2007, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

After two weeks of ozone and Reefresh my sand is 98% free from cyano, back then it didn't even look like sand. The other algae issues are basically unaffected but I'm hoping that they will improve in time. The growth and PE are very noticeable and that makes me happy.

I also made some room for some new frags I picked up over the last week or two. I managed to dislodge one of my smaller Bali Green Slimer colonies giving my Pink Birds nest some much needed room but not a whole lot for the new frags.

Oh well, things seem to be going good (knock on wood) since the ozone/RF started. I'm going to try and get some pics up this week.
Old 06/04/2007, 01:24 AM
Premium Member

That Bali Green Slimer colony that you "dislodged" is sure going to make someone happy !!!! Maybe a piece of pink birdsnest may become "dislodged" too along with some zoos??! ha ha...glad to hear that the algae issues are under control!

Sarah
Old 06/20/2007, 01:09 AM
Premium Member

I just got back from 10 days away and everything looks great. The sand is (dare I say it) 100% free of cyano, it looks great!

I must say that I am turning into a firm believer of ReeFresh! I am very impressed how the corals have responded to it over the last month. The growth, color, and PE have improved immensely. I'm actually amazed at the difference!

I have noticed that my conch is always trying to climb rock or the overflows looking for food it seems as it has it's mouth extended as far as it can up feeding. I thought that when I was looking into getting one, it could survive in a 120, I'll have to research it. I guess I could put it in the fuge for a bit.

On a side note I bought a 55g to replace the 25g that my Green Spotted Puffer is in.

It has a massive cyano outbreak, I'm thinking of rinsing the LR in some buckets of SW and trying to get as much off as possible. Anyone have any ideas, here is the ad.

FS: 55 Gal tank/stand/light $250

I have a 36"x18"x19" tank (55 gal I think) with black pine stand for sale. Also comes with 2 powerheads and a 95Wx2 PC light fixture (1 actinic & 1 daylight)

BONUS: about 50 lbs. of LIVE ROCKs FREE; Green Star Polyp, Mushrooms, and ricoridias
Old 06/20/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Excellent setup! You gave me some ideas for my wood floors
around the aquarium as well!
Old 06/20/2007, 01:39 AM
TRC Leader

You'll need to run that ad in the For Sale forum, not Reef Discussion.

Glad your tank is doing well.