Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 06:11 PM
reef girl

I would keep the colt coral, it looks nice and your tank doesnt look anywhere near overcrowded. everything looks nice in your tank, however I too think that having that trigger in there is not the best choice it may be a model citizen for now but they can turn very fast, very few fish are safe with them except other triggers and I personally would never play with that possibility with the rest of the stuff in the tank

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 01/02/2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

You have a great variety of fish. I think the best part about this hobby is learning from other people but also learning from experience. I wish that was a tailspot blenny. I have wanted one for a long time and was going to ask where you bought it.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

Looks pretty good to me !!!
Old 01/02/2008, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

My god some of you people are annoying. Nobody cares if you approve of his Niger trigger. It's his goddamn tank, he can put any fish in that he wants. Niger's are widely considered reef safe. If you don't approve, then don't put one in your own tank. His seems to be doing just fine. Nice tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 07:28 PM
reef girl

1. nice spaz you had there

2. where is it widely considered?

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 01/02/2008, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

the only thing I'm worried about is that the fish that are pod pickers (both dragonets and the wrasse) seem to have thin looking tummies-are they getting enough to eat, and are you SURE?

Otherwise, very pretty.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

I am sure, Not really sure why you think the wrasse looks thin he eats absolutely EVERYTHING... As for the mandarine, i agree he does look thin but my pod population is very thick... I move a piece of live rock from the fuge to the display just about every third day and i keep an eye on the population... So far i haven't noticed it thinning out but i will be looking for a place to buy pods for supplement soon just in case... Only other fish i have noticed that is thin is the diamond goby... He eats anything thaat comes his way and i make it a purpose to get it down to him so hopefully he will be plumping up........

Purple penguin_- I thank you for your concern but if you learn anything in this hobby it is that livestock is very unpredictable and that every fish just like humans have there own personality.. I realise nigers are "iffy" when it comes to reefs which is why i added a few inexpensive ones first that i didn't mind losing to see how he reacted or if h picked at any...

Jab_- Thank you

As for everyone else thank you for all the compliments, reading what people think about something you have worked so hard at makes all the hard work that much more rewarding
Old 01/02/2008, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

oh yeah, i belive someone asked about the lighting... It consists or 2- 250watt MH pendants with 14k phoenix bulbe and a 48" coralife PC fixture, 2x10k 65w and 2 actinics
Old 01/02/2008, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

nice tank! really like the clowns and the frogspawn
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Its hard to explain. here, I THINK wetwebmedia is okay to link to
http://wetwebmedia.com/mandarins.htm

that has pictures of dragonets, with not shrunken in, but overall thin bodies. I just want to make sure that yours are fine.. it may just be the angle of the picture that made the wrasse look kinda off.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

thank you for the link... I investigated mine a little further after reading the article.. The mandarine does not have the line along the body to indicate it is starving but he definately is not as fat as some of the pics i saw... I may go ahead and start looking for a place to order pods now.... As for the wrasse, well he definately doesn't have an eating problem unless you are considering eating too much a problem, literally everything i put in the tank he eats
Old 01/02/2008, 10:06 PM
Registered Member

LOL, just making sure! ya know, rather safe than sorry!