Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/30/2007, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

please help - need to submit a big order within in the next few hours

Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyones help in the "please help me select a the right tank" thread, I now have a 65 gallon tank, and it's just the right size for my living room.

I am going to be starting a reef tank with live corals and anemones as well as a few fish (clowns, blennies, etc...). Now I know I can get everything I need in stages, however, I worked out some credit at the fish store and am able to save a ton of money if I get everything now. I won't however be able to go down to the fish store myself and ask them in person what I need and will need to ask my cousin to place the order for me. I'm hoping the more experienced hobbiests could help me put together a shopping list including the brand and model number of the items I need.

My cousin will only have today to pick the stuff up and I would of course need to let him know what all I need as soon as possible... hopefully someone here can help me out within the next couple hours.

I already have the salt, two power heads a heater and a hydrometer...

So... what all do I still need?

Lights
For corals and anemones I hear I need a very good light.

Live rock
How much and what kind?

Sand
I would like fine white sand (not the stuff that looks like crushed coral), just don't know what brand or the name.

Filter
I guess I don't need a big filter with all the LR I'll have but I guess I need one to get started, correct? Which one do I need?

Protein Skimmer
which one?

Water Conditioner
which one?

Test Kit
which one?

Cleaning Supplies
What do I need?

Please also let me know what I'm missing (other than a clean up crew, corals and fish, which I'll of course have get at a later time)

Thank you all so much in advance!

Last edited by Marinus; 12/30/2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12/30/2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Lights
As many t5's with individual reflectors as you can fit or metal halide. It is more of a personal choice. Either will work. They are almost always much cheaper online.

Live rock
1 to 1 1/2 pounds minimum of rock. It does not all need to be live, over time everything will be live. Aragonite based is best for reef chemistry stablility. The more porous the rock the better. Several places sell it for $3.50/ lb. and less. Lfs usually want $7 due to higher overhead.

Sand
Sugar sand or aragamax are two very popular types of sand. Stick with something calcium based (aragonite). The depth depends on you. Different depths serve different purposes. Some people go bare bottom.

Filter
You don't need a hang on back. A sump is a good idea to house your skimmer, heater, possible refugium, more rock, etc.

Water Conditioner
ro/di unit

Test Kit
I like API (American Pharmaceuticals) Nitrate, Calcium, pH, Alk, Ammonia are all good to have.

Cleaning Supplies
Good clean up crew, Mag-float (be careful not to get sand stuck in it or your glass will get scratched), turkey baster to occasionally dust the rock
Old 12/30/2007, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

if your going to keep corals you need to have id say at least 150w of light for your size tank. i bought the dual sattelite 24in. fixture and i love it. its got day night morning settings. and a led plus fans. live rock is reccomended that you get 1lb-2lb. per gallon. fiji is good but i personally love florida aquacultured live rock. i bought it from my fish store for 10lb. its expensive but has tons of life on it. live sand or argonite. i have a filter on my 40 gal. but its coming off a soon as i get it established and the right amount of rock. i wouldnt put any water conditioners in there as it could have harmful chemicals. i have the api saltwater test kit it comes with ammonia, ph,nitrates,nitrites test. for corals you wil need your calcium and alkaline test. cleaning you will need a scraper or i reccomend the mag float"works great"
have fun and start unloading your wallet
Old 12/30/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

If you haven't planned a sump, I would strongly recommend one, especially if you are planning a reef. To incorporate one, you will need the sump itself and an additional pump. You can drill your tank for the drain and returns or you will need a HOB drain.

Lighting: Make sure you get enough if you plan on a reef, if not, any light will do.

Live Rock: The more porus the better. At least a poud per gallon for FO, up to 2 pounds per gallon reef.

Protein Skimmer: The biggest baddest one you can fit where you need to. If you aren't going with a sump, maybe check out a HOB skimmer.

Test Kit: API saltwater starter kit will be fine until you start adding corals.

Cleaning supplies: Magfloat, buckets, toothbrush, syphon hose.

Other: If you aren't doing a sump, you may need more flow. Hard to tell because you didn't specify what power heads you have and if you are doing FO or reef. You may want to consider an ATO (auto topoff) to keep you tank full.

Sand: At least a few inches, white is ok. I use a mix of 1/2 sand, 1/2 aragaonite.

Filter: Skip it, your LR, Sand, and protein skimmer are your filters.
Old 12/30/2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Great! Thanks guys!

How does this look?

Items for a 65 gallon tank
2 x power heads
1 x heater
1 x cheap filter (don't I need one just to get things going? any suggestions of brand/model?)
1 x HOB protein skimmer (any suggestions of brand/model?)
2 x T5's with individual reflectors (any suggestions of brand/model?)
1 x sea bucket salt
6 x bags of aragonite sugar sand (any suggestions of brand/model?)
90lb aragonite based porous rock
1 x ro/di unit (should I be concerned about )
1 x test kit: API (American Pharmaceuticals) Nitrate, Calcium, pH, Alk, Ammonia
1 x mag-float
1 x siphon hose
1 x bucket
1 x tooth brush

I don't want to use a sump setup as it's a bit too much tinkering and complex for this newbie.

Am I missing anything?

It will take over a day for the rock to get here, should I get dead rock?

Thanks again!

Last edited by Marinus; 12/30/2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

Refractometer to measure your salinity
Old 12/30/2007, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinus
Great! Thanks guys!

How does this look?

Items for a 65 gallon tank
2 x power heads
1 x heater
1 x cheap filter (don't I need one just to get things going? any suggestions of brand/model?)
1 x HOB protein skimmer (any suggestions of brand/model?)
2 x T5's with individual reflectors (any suggestions of brand/model?)
1 x sea bucket salt
6 x bags of aragonite sugar sand (any suggestions of brand/model?)
90lb aragonite based porous rock
1 x ro/di unit (should I be concerned about )
1 x test kit: API (American Pharmaceuticals) Nitrate, Calcium, pH, Alk, Ammonia
1 x mag-float
1 x siphon hose
1 x bucket
1 x tooth brush

I don't want to use a sump setup as it's a bit too much tinkering and complex for this newbie.

Am I missing anything?

It will take over a day for the rock to get here, should I get dead rock?

Thanks again!

what are the dimensions of your tank???
Old 12/30/2007, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys!

The tank's dimensions are:
36L x 18W x 24H

Please let me know which brands/models are the best in the list above.

Thanks!
Old 12/30/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Personally, if i were buying equipment for a tank of this size heres what i would go with:

powerheads - 2x Hydor Koralia 3s
heater - 150w visi-therm stealth or 150w Hydor Theo
skimmer - for HOB id go with an Aqua C Remora or the Octopus HOB
lights - id do a 36" 6x39w TEK, but a 4x39 TEK would work too
sand - any good aragonite, personally i like Caribsea Ocean Direct live sand
rock - i would get marco rock and seed it with some live rock, but if you have to get everything from your LFS, ~75lbs of fiji is good
salt - Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
test kit - API master saltwater to start, then master reef later
RO/DI - i buy from my LFS, not sure of a good brand for this.
filter - good investment is a Magnum HOT, nice to have to clear up water after water changes and the such
misc - mag-float, buckets, vinyl tubing, toothbrush

if you have the space id highly recommend integrating a sump. it does sound a bit more "involved" for the newer reefers, but it helps a great deal in the long run. not only does it allow you to relocate your equipment off the tank and out of sight, it also increases your total water volume which makes it easier to maintain stability in water parameters and if you have room to use a fuge it will help greatly in reducing nitrates.

-kyle
Old 12/30/2007, 02:16 PM
Premium Member

I would slow down and not make any impulse buys you might be sorry for...

If you were to take the time to research. You will find the right equipment, for less from online retailers..

I would back up and find what type of livestock I was going to keep. Then design the system to fit those needs.

I would have a sump, with overflow for surface extraction. Also a quality skimmer, good lighting, and flow.

Take your time and enjoy the journey, you will be much happier down the road...

Happy Reefing
Old 12/30/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Thank you siwelk! I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need, now. Turns out I couldn't get in touch with my cousin in time today but hopefully I can ask him to go again tomorrow.

Hi ricks, I guess I didn't really explain why I was in a hurry with this order. Reason is because my cousin can get wholesale prices from his friend's fish store as he does work for him and I did work for my cousin (exchanges of services). However, the store is 6 hours drive from where I live and now that my folks are down there visiting the family and will be stopping by my house on the way back, I thought I could ask them to bring all this stuff back with them. Otherwise it could be months before I can even get started (unless I pay for shipping).

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12/30/2007, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

You will definitely need an RO/DI unit
Old 12/30/2007, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

Marinus. You would be wise not to make hasty purchases. Give yourself that couple of months and do some research and save up your money for the things you really need. Sumps really arent that much trouble. Quite frankly they are less of a hastle than a HOB filter. The added water volume will help to keep your water perameters more stable. If you plan on buying a swing arm hydrometer, DONT. Here's why. My deep six measures 1.020, my refractometer measures 1.026. Thats a HUGE difference and yes they are both calabrated correctly. It took me 2 1/2 years to get all my equipment together for my 55 gal setup and I just filled it on 11/5/07. I bought the tank when my daughter was 6 mo old and she is 3 now. Have you picked up any books yet. That would be a good place to start. Plan on what corals you want to keep and go from there. Good luck and happy reefing. Remember this quick fixes are a recipie for disaster in this hobby.
Old 12/30/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Thats explains it. I thought you hit the lottery and had to spent it all by tonight lol ! Best of luck to you,hope you cousin can do at least some of your list tomorrow.
Old 12/30/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I understand it's risky making hasty decisions however... I am impatient to see some water in my tank! Haha, it'll be ok, I understand it takes time, I'm only rushing this order of essentials, which I would need regardless. Just wanted to know which brands are the best and which models are right for my tank. It's a really good deal for both me and my cousin that could really help us both out so I want to take advantage of it before my cousin uses up all the store credit for his own tanks! Haha.

Currently I have:
1 x 65 gallon tank (36x18x24)
1 x tank stand
2 x Maxi-Jet 900 Multi-Use Submersible Pump and Power Head
1 x Jager 3606 Heater 150W
1 x Instant Ocean Sea Salt
1 x Instant Ocean Hydrometer (guess I'll need a refractometer)
1 x bucket
1 x turkey baster

I have about $1000 worth of credit for:
Lights
Filter
LR
LS
Test Kits
RO/DI unit
Cleaning supplies

As I mentioned before, I would like to take advantage of this credit before it's gone.

Anyone recommend the Coralife Aqualight Pro 36" HQI system?
How about the Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Hang-On Skimmer?
And since I'm getting pretty much all the LR at once, I guess I don't really need a filter except for maybe a cheap $25 20-40 gallon one (or whatever) to help clear the any murkiness faster when I do a water change? Still would like a good cheap one though, any ideas?

Again, thank you for all you comments.

edit:
Quote:
Originally posted by Deb91
Thats explains it. I thought you hit the lottery and had to spent it all by tonight lol ! Best of luck to you,hope you cousin can do at least some of your list tomorrow.
Haha, actually thats what it feels like right now. The best part is that it's not costing me a penny... this would be in exchange for work I've already done.

Last edited by Marinus; 12/30/2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

the coralife fixture will work, but it will use more electricity and add more heat than T5s.

The prism skimmer is worthless IMO, I upgraded from it to an aqua c remora and was very happy.

You don't need a filter
Old 12/30/2007, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Just to duplicate the thought that you should do your research first. You might regret it later. You might have all the equipment but not have the knowledge yet to know how to handle a problem. I am impulsive as well so I understand your desire to rush. Just make sure you understand how to properly cycle a tank at the minimum.

That said. I wouldn't buy one heater I would buy 2 or 3 smaller heaters. Heaters sometimes get stuck on. By getting heaters that individualy are not strong enough to heat the tank you limit any damage a stuck heater has on your tank. This assumes you have a sump to put them in.

I can't make any more recommendations since the end result of the tank lifestock goals are still in question. I see your new to this forum so after the order is in start reading the ReekKeeping magazines online and the http://www.advancedaquarist.com magazine. This will help.

Good Luck!
Old 12/30/2007, 07:43 PM
Registered Member

You still would have to wait about a month for your tank to cycle before you put any noticeable life in it. I'd get the stuff you couldn't go wrong with in this order.

I'd get:

2 - 40 lb bags of aragonite sand
2 - maxijet 1200s or maybe 2 koralia 3s (might want another smaller powerhead for mixing salt)
1 - 4 stage (minimum) RO/DI unit
1 - test kit (ammonia, nirtate, nitrite, ph, alkalinity, phosphate, calcium) - brands: salifert, api, seachem, etc.
1 - refractometer
1 - mag float
1 - aqua scraper (for coraline algae on the front glass)
1 - 150 W heater
couple pails of salt

If you had a list or something of what is available to you in terms of lights and skimmer it would be a lot easier for the people on this forum to help you decide. I do like the idea of a 36" 6 bulb Tek light.

Welcome to the Ottawa marine community!

Last edited by JoeMomma; 12/30/2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12/30/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Can you go online to see what this store sells? That would be a big help if you can to see what they have before you give him a list.
Old 12/30/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately the store does not currently have a website. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey Joe, small world.
Old 12/31/2007, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinus
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately the store does not currently have a website. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey Joe, small world.
Where is the shop you are getting the stuff from? 6 Hours puts you in and around London Ontario if it is southwest anyhow.

Just remember one thing it was all started by a mouse

25 before 12 HABS over the Leafs every time...
Old 12/31/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
powerheads - 2x Hydor Koralia 3s
heater - 150w visi-therm stealth or 150w Hydor Theo
skimmer - for HOB id go with an Aqua C Remora or the Octopus HOB
lights - id do a 36" 6x39w TEK, but a 4x39 TEK would work too
sand - any good aragonite, personally i like Caribsea Ocean Direct live sand
rock - i would get marco rock and seed it with some live rock, but if you have to get everything from your LFS, ~75lbs of fiji is good
salt - Instant Ocean Reef Crystals
test kit - API master saltwater to start, then master reef later
RO/DI - i buy from my LFS, not sure of a good brand for this.
filter - good investment is a Magnum HOT, nice to have to clear up water after water changes and the such
misc - mag-float, buckets, vinyl tubing, toothbrush
Very good list. I especially like the marco rocks and the koralias. I got 4x39w T-5 HO with 1 reflector per bulb and I'm very happy with it.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:02 AM
Registered Member

thanks. ive got both the koralias and marco rock in transit as we speak. me = stoked. good choice on the T5s with individual reflectors, thats the way to go.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

It took me 8 months to get everythingtogether for my 125 rr tank so I know what it is like to have a $1300.00 tank stand and canopy sitting in my dining room and no water in it for months. TAKE YOUR TIME there is no rush to throw money away. If you want to throw your money away you can hire me as a reeftank consultant.
Seriously, research ,research research. If you can't afford the piece of equipment you really want now then save your money up for another week or two and get what you want. You will be so happy that you won't have to buy things twice and you will save money in the long run.
First thing you need to buy is a good ro/di unit- bad water from the start makes things bad all the way down the line.
AT least 65 pounds of live rock to start things off would surely be nice.
Lighting- I love my metal halides, the shimmer on the water is nice.
If you have the room at all a sump is the way to go. I agree with one of the earlier posts in that a sump is easier to get dialed in that a stupid hang on back filter. You just put a valve on the inlet side of the pump and dial it back until you get your flow right and that is all the tinkering you have to do it as far as getting the flow correct.
2 or 3 powerheads should be ok. MJ 900's would probably suffice your tank. I put 160 pounds of sand in my tank so I'm thinking 2 40 pound bags of argomax sand will be more that enough for you.
In all honesty you will need about $1000- 1500.00 to get things set up the right way. I hope you lots of credit with the relatives, lol. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:04 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Jerry!

About the lights though, since they are so important, I would like your feedback on the following...

You spend so much on a helide and then you have a 2" lid support located directly below a 4"? helide bulb, either way, it is of course hinders the light's performance. So I found a 36" fixture with two halides on either side of the lid support. All the other helide light fixtures I could find in my price range ($500 or less) have the one in the middle. I know a few people have suggested T5s are the way to go and I've included some nice fixtures in my list as well, however, are helide fixtures still better and the T5s were only suggested as a less expensive solution? Or are 6 x T5s HOs still the way to regardless?

Here are the lights that seem like good candidates for my tank, if there are others that would work even better in the $500 or less range, please let me know...

36 inch Current USA SunPod 2x150W 14K HQI-MH w/ 18 Lunar Lights

36 inch 6x39W Sunlight Supply Tek Light High Output Fluorescent Lighting Fixture

36 inch Current USA 6x39W Nova Extreme Pro T5HO 3-10k/3-460nm Actinics

As always, thank you for all your comments!