Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 09:36 AM
The Clownfish COP

Talking New Orange Skunk Pair

Just got a New pair of Orange Skunks last night. MAN THEY ARE NICE!!! Hard to take pics when they don't want to hold still but I was able to get 2 shots of them, one w/ flash and one w/out. Though they are poor quality pics you can still see the vibrant colors they have.

Flash

W/out Flash

-Ian
Old 01/10/2008, 09:36 AM
The Clownfish COP

I'll try and get some new "CLEAR" shots of them tonight.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Very nice. Even though the pics aren't great, you can still tell they have great color.

My favorite think about mine is how they interact with their anemomes. When I had them with a large carpet they would "body surf" through the anemone. It was very cool.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:50 PM
The Clownfish COP

Thanks Phil, I have a question for you sir. It took everything I had in me last night to keep from placing them into the S. haddoni tank, since that is why I originally ordered them. I am currently letting the nems to settle in and keeping my eye on one of them that has good color, stickiness and over good firm foot and body tone but whose mouth is less then tight and gapping. Do you think that these A. sandaracinos would be a good choice for such a species tank?

Thanks

-Ian
Old 01/10/2008, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Hi Ian,
You're going to get a long answer on this one. I'm sure you know that haddoni are not natural hosts for A. sandaracinos, however they will sometimes accept haddoni anyway.

IME, there seem to be two physical morphs of haddoni. I don't know if the differences are related to aquarium conditions, health or genetics, but some seem to have short dense tentacles while others have less dense and longer tentacles.
Photo from rkelman's gallery showing short tightly packed tentacles

Photo showing longer tentacles where the oral disk can be seen between the tentacles

IME, the haddoni with the longer tentacles are more readily accepted by "non-natural" clowns. It doesn't mean they won't go in the shorter tentacled haddoni, but the ones with the longer tentacles just seem to be more attactive to the clowns that don't naturally associate with haddoni carpets.