Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/03/2006, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

live DT's froze

only prolly been a day, my mini fridge went wacko, the bottle isnt totally frozen, but are the DT's not worth adding to the tank anymore??
Old 05/03/2006, 11:51 AM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Freezing causes the cell walls to rupture, resulting in the death of the cell. Depending on how much was frozen, it might be worth it to use what's left. Smell the phyto after it has fully thawed and see if it still smells completely fresh, or check in a few days. If there is no bad smell, then it is probably safe to use.

On the other hand, if you have easy access to a DT's supply, you could play it safe and just get a new bottle.
Old 05/03/2006, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

how bad would the smell be? Guess I never smelled it befor hand. I hope it's ok, this is a brand new bottle, missing all but 5ml's.
Old 05/03/2006, 12:33 PM
Registered Member

The typical rule of thumb is that if it smells foul (like s***), it's toast.
Old 05/03/2006, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

it has a lil smell to it, but I dont know if thats the natural smell of it. It's not terrible, def not like mudbutt
Old 05/03/2006, 02:02 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

If there is a sulfur smell (like rotten eggs) at all, then it is going bad. Otherwise, a good batch should have a slightly sweet, slightly bitter grass-like smell.