Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback

Old 11/27/2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

beefarmer - frustrating experience

One week ago beefarmer said he would purchase some lights from me if I could wait until the 28th for payment. I had 3 other interested parties (nothing firm yet) but shipping was cheaper to beefarmer so i agreed to wait for payment (the pirfce included shipping). I sent a PM asking him to confirm that he wanted to purchase the lights so I could post that the lights were sold.

Beefarmer confirmed he would purchase the lights and asked me to mark the lights as sold.

I received a PM Sunday from beefarmer asking if we "still have a deal" on the lights. I sent a PM confirming we still had a deal.

I then got a PM saying that I would have to wait another day for payment. I agreed without any problem and asked for his shipping address so I could prepare the lights for shipping.

I then received a PM asking if he could break the payment into two parts, one part on Wednesday and the other part in 2 weeks. I responded that my strong preference would be to receive all the payment this week if possible.

I received a final PM stating that he would not be buying the lights, that he was sorry, and that he appreciates me holding them.

Needless to say, this was a little frustrating. No big deal really, but in the mean time, at least one of the other interested parties purchased a different set of lights. I try not to waste people's time and would have appreciated the same courtesy.
Old 11/28/2006, 03:18 PM
Free Thinker

[profanity], at least the guy was civil about it. I doubt he was leading you on, on purpose. Sometimes unavoidable stuff comes up and you gotta do what you gotta do to pay bills. I wouldn't like it either but I don't think that this situation deserves it's own complaint thread. JMO

"Free thinkers are dangerous!"
Serj Tankian

Last edited by smiller; 11/28/2006 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11/28/2006, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stoney Mahony
profanity removed, at least the guy was civil about it. I doubt he was leading you on, on purpose. Sometimes unavoidable stuff comes up and you gotta do what you gotta do to pay bills. I wouldn't like it either but I don't think that this situation deserves it's own complaint thread. JMO
I agree 100%. There are much worse things that could have happened, and I have seen and dealt with them on here.
Old 11/29/2006, 02:49 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
they are called flakes.. they are everywhere...

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/29/2006, 09:14 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
they are called flakes.. they are everywhere...
I do not blame him for being upset. I was burnt once also. I held the lights for a member and at the last minute he bailed. Now its first to pay gets it.

DVRC Vice President
Old 11/30/2006, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Stoney Mahony -

Like I said, not a really big deal. I am not even upset, just irritated. There are much worse things that can happen. I know that $$ issues come up and people have to change plans, but I also think it is reasonable to post the experience in this forum so others can read it and consider it in future dealings with beefarmer. Flake sums it up pretty well. I did not say that he was malicious or that I got burned. He just acted a little squirrelly and could have handled it better if he been up front with me. I summarized the PM traffic above, but probably failed to capture the fact that I think he was leading me on. I told my wife 2 days after we made the agreement that I suspected beefarmer would back out.

No where did I say this guy was a bad person or "dont deal with him". I think the tone of my post is representative the experience. Hopefully someone appreciates the heads-up. I agree it does not compare to people who are loosing money or property, but i figure honest feedback is probably worth while.

Thanks.