Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 08/02/2003, 04:00 PM

My 55g is over run with it - the hair algae can't even compete. My 100g gallon should be ready next week, I'm seriously considering dumping all my LR for new...
Uh - anybody want to buy a bunch of bryopsis covered LR?

My refugium is packed with grape, feather and regular caulerpa, dictyota, gracilaria & some huge masses of tangly green wiry stuff ( a valonia?) Zero bryopsis - I think I'm gonna start putting tons of it in the main tank & see what happens...

I like algae and I thought the first bryopsis clumps were attractive - if only I had known then what I know now

So long, & thanks for all the fish!
Old 08/02/2003, 11:10 PM
Monkey

To all - This method worked for me:

I tore out clumps and put them in the refugium. With the 24 hour light in there, it thrived. The remaining clumps in the display starved and died (presumably because the nutrients were being used up by the rapidly spreading bryopsis in the fuge.)

I then purchased a lettuce nudi who now inhabits my refugium and keeps the bryopsis controlled.

I originally had him in the main tank - but man, those things LOVE powerheads.
Old 08/06/2003, 03:24 PM
Premium Member

Is this Bryopsis?

Help what started as a beautiful blue-green fernlike macro algae is now full blown out of control. I have emerald crabs, scarlet and blue hermits, a purple tang, a sailfin blenny, flame and coral beauty angels. Nothing will eat this stuff. I have tried scrubbing the rock to no avail. I am using lots a phosphate remover in my canister and I am using UV sterilization. I am losing!!

This algae adheres to everything including glass and has infected my fiji moonstone coral.

HELP!!!!

I feel I may lose my tank.

90 gal,
Dual 250 MH Ushio 10k
Dual VHO actinic URI
4" DSB
55 Gallon Sump w/ Refugium
Euro Reef CS6-1 skimmer
Reef Tek Calcium Reactor
5 Years reefing
Old 08/06/2003, 05:23 PM
Premium Dad and Hubby

I noticed you are running a wet/dry with bioballs. Your Nitrate levels are probably high contributing to the problem. I would suggest you SLOWLY get rid of your bioballs and rely on skimmer and LR only to filter your tank. Also, if you can start a refugium with DSB and macro algae to reduce nutrients your problem algae are relying on.

Looks like you are in a real bind. Have you seen this thread?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=219002

Note: If you take the advise of the thread AZNO3 did not work for me when I was running my wet/dry with bioballs. It only started working when bioballs were removed.

Good Luck
Old 08/30/2003, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

In Search of Elysia Ornata

Does anyone know where this voracious consumer of Bryopsis might be purchased or traded? Elysia Ornata is reported to feed soley upon Bryopsis.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

"Can't see the forest for the Bryopsis"

90 gal,
Dual 250 MH Ushio 10k
Dual VHO actinic URI
4" DSB
Euro Reef CS6-1 skimmer
Reef Tek Calcium Reactor
5 Years reefing
Old 09/07/2003, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

This is also a good article about bryopsis. I had it, and it just seemed to go away. I have no doubt that it will come back someday.

http://www.globaldialog.com/~jrice/a...e/bryopsis.htm
Old 10/16/2003, 09:17 AM
Reef Addict

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/b...alkwasser.html
I went to this site and used this kalkwasser/vinegar mix. I was told to just pour the whole thing into my sump before it settles. 3 days later I did it again and one week later no hair algae. I myself had no problems after I did this process and best thing is I still am algae free.
Old 10/16/2003, 09:18 AM
Reef Addict

I went to this site and used this kalkwasser/vinegar mix. I was told to just pour the whole thing into my sump before it settles. 3 days later I did it again and one week later no hair algae. I myself had no problems after I did this process and best thing is I still am algae free.
Old 10/16/2003, 09:19 AM
Reef Addict

Old 10/16/2003, 09:38 AM
Premium Member

horge,

I know I'm a "bit" late but here are some of my Bryopsis (?) pictures

Old 10/16/2003, 10:24 AM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Great Pics Tatu

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 10/22/2003, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

Boomer,

Thanks It's a beautiful algae!
Old 10/22/2003, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs down

Beautiful This!

You can have all you want

90 gal,
Dual 250 MH Ushio 10k
Dual VHO actinic URI
4" DSB
Euro Reef CS6-1 skimmer
Reef Tek Calcium Reactor
5 Years reefing
Old 10/23/2003, 04:05 PM
30 year and over club

I believe I know why so many people have so many ways to get rid of hair algae. My reef is over thirty years old and for the first few years there was no hair algae. Then I started to get it in cycles for a few weeks at a time. Eventually, the cycles became longer until now I never am without it. My point is that for some reason it would disappear on it's own without doing anything and the tank would be free of it for many months.
I used to have an urchin collecting business here in New York where I would collect local purple urchins to ship to aquariums and hobbiests to control algae. The northern urchins would eat very fast in a tropical reef because they were not tropical animals. Each urchin would clean an area about an inch wide and about a foot long a night. When I had a dozen of them in the tank it looked like it was sandblasted. They would live about a year. Unfortunately my boat is away for the year and I am not collecting this year anymore. Hopefully next year I will get some.
Old 10/23/2003, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

Horge...congratulations. I enjoyed your article...it helped me...and I thoroughly enjoyed your style. I hope to read many more articles by you...thanks from a gentle reader.
Old 11/08/2003, 08:38 PM
Moved In

I think I'm winning! All Lettuce Nudis are not created equal. I got 2 and one is a eating machine and the other is usually on the glass.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/11/2003, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

nice looking tank dc. no green algae!
Old 11/16/2003, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

I have heard reports of people using boiling RO water, applied to the problem area with a syringe. I have been told that this has a two fold effect of killing the majority of the algae due to both the heat and the fresh water, and the fact that it becomes more palatable to herbivorous fish in this state. Has anyone heard of this method being successfull?

At various stages, I have had my whole tank virtually full of bryopsis, and through a process of manual removal and addition of a rabbit fish, I have it down to 2 smallish patches. I have no problem at at with any other algae, my Acantharus mata takes care of everything else, but the bryopsis persists, which is why I am considering using the boiling water method.
Old 11/17/2003, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Boiled Bryopsis

Would you remove the rock and then treat the Bryopsis or treat it in the tank? I do not think dosing the algea in the tank could produce enough heat to do any good.

How about manually removing and scrubing the rock then treating the growth areas with boiling water? How about mixing some amount of bleach with the water and then soaking rock in a bucket treated with chlorine remover?

My tank is about 75% inundated. I am ready to throw all my rock away and start over.

90 gal,
Dual 250 MH Ushio 10k
Dual VHO actinic URI
4" DSB
Euro Reef CS6-1 skimmer
Reef Tek Calcium Reactor
5 Years reefing
Old 11/17/2003, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I got to the point where I was going to take my entire tank apart and start again as well, but I removed the pieces of affected rock, and scrubbed them with a scrubbing brush in a bucket and replaced them, which seemed to do the trick. The only reason I dont want to take the remaining pieces out and clean them, is that they are pivotal pieces of the reef structure, and cant be taken out without taking the whole structure apart.
Old 01/02/2004, 11:17 PM
Moved On

Quote:
get an algae / lawnmower blenny... mine is obese. I'm not kidding. I think I am abusing the poor fish; he has a huuuuge gut.
You cant type this and not show us pics of your overweight lawnmower blenny!!!

- g

Last edited by Gerard the fish; 01/02/2004 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01/13/2004, 07:21 PM
Premium Member

Unhappy can anyone tell me what this is?

This came on a rock that I got at my LFS that had lots of zo's on it. Since then it has spread like crazy.
Old 01/13/2004, 07:39 PM
Moved On

You might wanna post this in another section (New to Hobby)

You will also need a picture showing the rock up close.

- g
Old 01/14/2004, 07:27 AM
30 year and over club

A few weeks ago I dismantled my entire reef for the first cleaning in 25 years. I put the rock in the dark for a week and cleaned the gravel with 12 cleanings with a large diatom filter. All is well now and everything is back. The details are on the post
"just cleaned thirty year old tank" in the reef section.
Old 01/14/2004, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

I bought two algae blennys and they d'ont seem to be picking on the stuff only the algae on the glass so i what i did is took some of my rock that had been covered with Bryopsis and frist scrubed it off with a hard brush and then i mixed up a batch of kalkwasser and brushed it all over the infected area i soaked it real good then i dunked it in old or fresh sea water and back in to the tank so far the spots that i treated no sign of Bryopsis its been four days now the only draw back to this plan is i have some rocks that are on the the bottom and to remove them would mean to take the whole tank apart so for those i am still looking for help if there is any i would gladly wellcome some.