Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Old 12/19/2007, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

Bryopsis and Magnesium

My system is humming along great, but I have what appears to be Bryopsis growing in my overflows. It keeps trying to spread back into the tank and is also blocking water flow into the overflows. I was told to try killing it by raising magnesium to 1600. I'm looking for a second opinion before I do something radical to my system.

My concerns are, 1. what affect will high magnesium have on my corals (mostly SPS and a few LPS) , 2. will this cause a amonia cycle if it dies off quickly, 3. are there other problems assosiated with doing this.

Lastly, if this is an okay method to rid the system of Bryopsis, what is the best way to jack up the mag level to accomplish this.

125 gal tank, 40 gal frag tank, 55 gal sump, 20 gal fug: total approx 200 gal system.

Cal - 400
Alk - 10.2
Mag - 1200
Temp - 77.7 - 79
Sal - 1.025
N03, P04 - undetectable

Running Phosban, carbon, Kent Tech CB

Thanks

Alan
Old 12/19/2007, 10:19 AM
problem algae grower

only seems to work with certain brands of mag. the ones that contain magnesium sulphate, it appears it may be the elevated sulphate that affects the bryopsis, theres a massive thread on it over in reef discussion.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

You can ask at the main thread - looks like there are more people all the time.

I tried (for feathery bryopsis) ESV liquid Mg additive, Seachem Reef Advantage Mg, Kent TechM - up to 3 weeks after reaching 1600ppm, total 1.5 months, nothing worked. Had one more treatment before - August-September, with Seachem.

TechM was least liked by tank inhabitants - anemone and green and cocoa porites. This is sps, clams, anemone tank with intense feeding. Others are doing well and grow.

No ammonia. Schedule of raising Mg - in the main thread, I did it slower.
HTH.