Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Tunze 9010 and 9015 Skimming capabilities

Why is the 9015 rated to skim a larger volume of water than the 9010? Both units have the same water throughput 317gph, air capacity 171gph, and power consumption 21-watts (which I assume means they are using the same pump). does the 2 inch larger reaction chamber on the 9015 really allow it to skim 132 more gallons of water volume as effectively as the 9010 (this is of course with all variable being equal) or am i missing something.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

The only difference between the two is the collection cup that sits on top (and hence the neck height of the skimmer.) Tunze feels that the extra height gives you better skimming I suppose.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:51 PM
Premium Member

I've been doing much reading on skimmers in the past few months. I've learned on a skimmer that is tall and narrow (as opposed to short and fat) the organics have greater contact time with the bubbles. This causes more to be skimmed even if their isn't a high bio-load in the tank.

This is also why a counter-current skimmer is very effective. The bubbles going against the water current have more contact time, producing better skimming results.

Don't get me wrong, there are many other factors that go in to it. Google types of skimmers and do some reading so you can get a better idea on how each type works.
Old 12/19/2007, 04:38 PM
Premium Member

The taller collection cup allows the 9015 to run with the air wide open.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

If you run the Tunze 9010 with the Venturi wide-open, the collection cup will rapidly fill with water. An alternative to the 9015 is the 9010 with the purchase of a foam extraction unit
(9020.140). A picture of it is 3/4ths of the way down this webpage: http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C...-infoxunter028.

With the foam extraction unit, you can open the Venturi wider but I don't recommend opening it all the way because your collection jar may fill up overnight.
Old 12/19/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. Seems like their is a piece of reef equipment that is upgradable. Do yo think a 9010 would be able to handle a 75 gallon bare bottom sps tank. Also if anyone has experience with these could you give me your opinion on how quiet they are as well as how difficult it is to break down and clean.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

I have a 9010 on my 75gal and I love it. I finally have a skimmer that actually works