Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/19/2007, 02:12 AM
Premium Member

ASM or Aqua C?

need some opinions here. i can get either an ASM G3 w/gatevalve mod or an Aqua C EV 240. the Aqua C is about $70 more, but i want to know if it's worth it. footprint counts too, i guess. i never thought of that before right now. the space i have for it is 11"x about 18", the water will be about 8" deep (55g AGA sump). it's for a 125g FOWLR. but there'll be a puffer, eel, trigger, possibly a tang. so it'll be a pretty messy tank. any thoughts would be great.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:24 AM
Registered Member

Is it those two choices only? If not check out the DAS EX . Would have to see the footprint to mske sure. But its a Recirc skimmer but can be placed in your sump. So water leve is never an issue
Old 12/19/2007, 03:25 AM
Registered Member

here they are Skimmer dimensions: 16.1"x11"x27.5"
Old 12/19/2007, 08:16 AM
One Good Friend

The octo extreme's look promising as well. The extreme 160 or 200 should work fine. The das ex2 would be a good fit as well. I would take those over the above skimmers you listed any day of the week.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Octo evtreme is the way I would go.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

Well, of the two I would lean towards the AquaC 240 myself. I think that it will handle the larger waste load from your fish better. Also, the Aqua-C can be run externally if sump space is an issue. Just be sure to get to get a pump on the top end of what they recommend - the spray injection works better with more power IMPE. Also, the effluent chamber is a good idea.
Old 12/19/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

the DAS EX is out, i can't afford it. i do like the look of the octo extremes, but can they be used externally? i ask about the Aqua C and G3 because i can get them for a reasonable price. the octo is in that price range, too.
my problem is that my 55g sump is in the stand for my 125g. there isn't a lot of room between the top of the sump and the top of the stand. i can barely reach the bottom of the tank. so any skimmer that's too big, i won't even be able to get it in the sump. i think external is the way to go, which eliminates the G3.
BTW, how hard is it to plumb a skimmer in?
Old 12/19/2007, 01:13 PM
One Good Friend

Its not hard to plum in a skimmer, just have to make sure every thing is leak safe. The octo's cannot be run externally.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

i really like the looks of the octo's. affordable, yet well planned. i like the idea if the pump on the bottom instead of on the side. and it comes witha good pump w/ a mesh wheel. i just don't know if i'll be able to make it fit. i have about 7" clearance between the top of the sump and the face of the stand.
here's what i have to work with

whole sump

if that won't work, will the octo BHF300F work for me? i don't mind hanging it off the tank itself, it'd be easier to get to that way. is it big enough for my tank? my buddy (who helped me plumb my tank) is giving me a Red Sea Prizm that he used on his 125g. i know it's not a very good skimmer, but i'll throw it in there so i don't hurt his feelings. will the 2 of them make up the difference?
thanks for all the help!
Old 12/19/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

here's a link to the BHF300F
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...duct_info.html

i can't seem to find much more info on it.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:40 PM
One Good Friend

There supose to be in on friday. I'm getting one shipped out to me soon to test out. But i'm not sure if it'll work for a 125. I'm guessing a 75ish will be all it can handle. I bet you could slide the extreme 160 in there but not sure about any of the others.
Old 12/19/2007, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

i would order the extreme 160 right now, but i want to be sure it will fit. do you think the water is high enough for it to work right?
Old 12/19/2007, 04:02 PM
One Good Friend

I bet if the water is from 6-10" it would work just fine. Just search for what the ati bubblemaster s ideal depth is.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:45 PM
Premium Member

the guy from reefgeek said that the ati's work best at 6-7". so i should be good with the xtreme. i may even have to build a stand.
Old 12/19/2007, 11:48 PM
One Good Friend

Thats what i figured. IMO, you only want the water level a few inches above the pump. It keeps the watts down and performance up. Unless its a recirc