Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/28/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Lighting Question...

My wife totally surprised me by trying to get me new lights for the 55gl we have. A local store explained to her that this fixture would be good for our size tank and so she bought it from them. From the research I have done so far I would disagree. Looking for additional insight for anyone willing to share.

This is what she bought:
Coralife Aqualight Advanced Tank-Mount, 1- 150 W 14,000k HQI
Link to what she bought me

I am looking for a all in one type fixture, not looking to build anything. So if you have any recommendations please share. Right now we just have PC's, and want to upgrade to MH or t-5.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:23 PM
Membership Director/TBRC

Westsider,

I guess it depends on what you want to keep. That light is great for a QT tank and its use a lot in Nanos. A standard 55g its 48" long, so I'm afraid one light may not be enough.

I'm sure once you provide details of what you want to keep, they will jump here to help.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

yeah that lamp really is only goog for half your tank IMO.
something like this may fit your needs better http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...935~tab~1.html
or maybe this http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...t~CU01042.html

it really depends on what look you want(open top or hooded),if you have a hood you can get retrofit kits for less than the other units i listed.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Congrats! Your wife cares about your hobby. As you know, your lighting needs depend on what you want to keep in the tank.

Unfortunately, if you have the typical 55 gallon with a center brace in the middle, that single MH will be difficult if not impossible to position to cover the entire tank (for corals).

Most 55s I have seen usually have two MHs or T5s or a combination there of.
Old 12/28/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

if you need a light setup for a decent price,someone on this local board is selling one that would work nicely on a 55g.
Old 12/28/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Check out the Current stuff. For your tank they have a dual 150W or 250W Halide setup with four atinics and lunar lights. Comes with two timers and hanging kit.

http://www.current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html
Old 12/28/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

I second that notion. Current Outer Orbit or Sunpod. One has additional actinics (T5 or PC), the other just halides. Both would be nice on a 55. Ive had one on a 90G for a couple years now and love it.