Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Aqua Controller and X10 Help please

Ok I got my Aqua controller and X10 setup to run my tank. I know the x10 is not the best way to go, but I got if for free so I am going to try and use it before getting the AC4 and so on. Well I don't know if I am missing somthing. I don't have any Icecap balist. I know that they enterfear with the X10. I tested all the x10 units and they work with the remote but not the Aqua controller.

Any guesses why?

I am running the aqua controller II. So far I am just trying to get the programming for the Temp to work with heaters and fans, but no luck.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 01/05/2008, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

Did you assign them a address # and then set the x 10s up to that #. If you could list the program that you are trying to use. That would help out a lot
Old 01/05/2008, 06:45 AM
Registered Member

yes I did turn the X10 to the correct adress and I did tell the ACII the adress for each item. I figured I would setup temp control first then I would do lights and other things. Well any help you can give me would be great. it is my first time using a controller. I think I set it up right? When I pluged it in the first time Thx10 didn't turn the fans on when the temp was 80.6 so I got a new x10 module and pluged it in and the fans fired right up. Then I got a cold glass of water and put the temp probe in the water. I wanted to check and see if the fans would turn off the the heat come on. it didn't. I thought that maybe It cooled to quickly for the ACII to understand (I was hopping) so I went in and changed the intervals from 5 min to 1 min. not knowing if it would make a difference it didn't.

Well here is the program I setup with no luck. I hope I did something wrong. Also I did a self check on the ACII it said passed so I thing the ACII is running properly.

Col-A5 = Fans
Het-A6 = heaters

if temp >80.3 then col on
if temp <80.0 then col off
if temp < 79.7 then het on
if temp > 80.0 then het off

did I do something wrong?

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)

Last edited by rogergolf66; 01/05/2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01/05/2008, 06:54 AM
Registered Member

I looks ok. what is the remote that you are refering to and how are you controling the x10 from the controller
Old 01/05/2008, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

I am using an x10 powerline interface ( it connects with the phone line)

the remote I am talking about I just used to check and see that the modules were functioning properly. I didn't try and use it with the tank. it is a x10 home remote for turning on and off x10 items from a remote

Old 01/05/2008, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

pmesnt
Old 01/06/2008, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

So I have run IceCap ballasts and X.10 for years without trouble - so not sure about that one. My system is quite stable and solid. Although I use the Aquadyne Octopus system - but concept is the same. Perhaps you can tell me how you have these units connected from an electrical standpoint?
Old 01/06/2008, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drosen
Perhaps you can tell me how you have these units connected from an electrical standpoint?
Im not sure of the question. I have the x10 module pluged into the outlet and the heater/fan pluged into the X10. is that what you mean?

Old 01/06/2008, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

Are they all on the same circuit? Are they plugged into a UPS or filtering power strip?
Old 01/08/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

they are not on the same strip but are on the same circuit. don't know if it is a filtered strip? not pluged into a UPS

Old 01/08/2008, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

For a test you could try to plug the power-line module (with the RJ-11-phone cable connected to ACII) into the same outlet/basic power strip as one or two of the modules you want to control.

Double check they are addressed the same A1, C1, etc. on the unit and module.

Another thing is do not use the lamp modules - you really need to use the grounded appliance modules - i have had little success with reliability and operation with lamp modules (even with 4-watt wave pumps)

If they work on the same strip but not across strips then something may be filtering. Speaking of power strips the standard with a circuit breaker should be fine. I had to search around for one wide enough for the modules. I found these ones by belkin with 8 outlets and I can get 6 x.10 modules on a strip - although they are no arranged all horizontally on the strip - but they do work. In my setup, I have a UPS supporting my Octopus 3K and the two Belkin strips using the non-batter backed up ports. On the battery side is my Octopus and my UDS1100 which allows me to access my tank stats from the internet (have to because of travel for work).

With the X.10 kit ther is also a module with an antenna that allows an RF remote control to be address to turn units on and off - do you have one of those? You could use that to test modules and the circuit filtering by placing those on other ends of your setup.

After that I would validate your RJ-11 cable is the right one to connect your ZCII to the powerline module (that is if noting is working) - it might not be std wiring.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

apologies for the bad typing - i must be tired! Let me know if I can help
Old 01/08/2008, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for all your info.

Yes I do have the moduel with the ant. and the remote. I have been testing the modules this way. I have contacted ACII company and I think I am using the wrong phone cord. i need to go get one with 4 connections today and re test.

Thanks for the info I will not use the lamp modules for anything on the tank them.

Roger