Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Tampa Bay Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/04/2008, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

BB Advise please

I am considering going BB. I know that lots of flow to keep the waste moving so the overflow can remove it to the filter sock. Also I know I have to have an extra large skimmer. I am taking care of that as I am connecting my new skimmer rated for 400gallons on a system with 160gallons of water.

Im not sure what advise I am looking for. Anything that I should exspect that I don't know?

Any special way to setup my closed loop to help with flow to remove the waste? I will post a picture of my new return setup soon. it is just a drawing as of now.

Roger

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 01/04/2008, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

are you goin straight BB or are you gonna do a starboard bottom ?
Old 01/04/2008, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

ok here it is the goal is to have 200Gallons coming out of each return. Is that enough? or should I get an ocean motion or something like that and have the flow keep changeing?

I am thinking about a 2,000-2,500 GPH Sequence pump?

oviously if I go with an ocean motion I will have to increase the size of the returns as 1/2 inch will be to small if I go that way.

Don't keep track of how much money you spend on your system. You will enjoy it much more that way :-)
Old 01/04/2008, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrferrit
are you goin straight BB or are you gonna do a starboard bottom ?
I would but something on the bottom to protect the glass.

Old 01/05/2008, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

are you going primarily sps?
Old 01/05/2008, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

yes my softies will all be gone on Tuesday morning exsept the zoathidas and ricordia. after tuesday I will have only SPS and ricordia and zoas.

Roger

Old 01/06/2008, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

ok.. a true bb has no sand or refugium. works just as you said. over skimming, lots of random flow to suspend the detritus or direct it somewhere for removal. and the use of filter bags to remove suspended detritus. the bags need to be changed daily or every other day or your nitrates could be a problem. my old 200 was bb and i never had any issues and most of my sps grew very fast.. but, i had a small dsb refugium, that is something to consider,

old 200
Old 01/06/2008, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Hey Roger, I talked to you at Coral Corral. My 90 Gal SPS has had a deep sand bed for years and I recently began to remove sand. I didnt remove all, but i vaccuumed sand out each time i did a WC until it was about one inch thick. My tank has responded very well. Better color, faster growth, etc. I recommend it, but be careful. Not too much at a time.
Old 01/07/2008, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

thanks

Old 01/07/2008, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

If you go starboard here is a site with some good prices and they have all the colors and textures. You might think about textured surface as the regular smooth one might not provide best traction depending on your rock configuration.

I believe these come out of Florida so shipping would be minimized.

http://www.marisafe.com
Old 01/07/2008, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

I am sure you thought of this - but don't order a single sheet to the dimensions of your setup unless you really CAN get it in your tank. I suppose if you remove the top lip and supporting cross bracket..... but tank would have to be empty before I would try that
Old 01/08/2008, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

thanks but I didn't see a size that would fit my tank. nor did I see a size that would fit with out having to cut it. 72X18 bottom