Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/07/2004, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

New FOWLR Tank possible reef future. What lighting do you suggest?

Hey guys,
I am setting up my new tank (55g). I am starting out as a FOWLR tank, but have intentions on going to a reef tank in the future. I was told to go with the ICE Cap VHO with 2 110 W lights to start with an ungrade to the 660 ballast so that I could add two more 110W bulbs in the future when i add corrals. What do you think?
The whole light issue is pretty difficult for a newbie in my mind....
Mike
4 X 200 gph power heads
90 lbs of LR
some Live sand
ICE CAP VHO, 4 X 110
30g sump
Old 03/07/2004, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

That's an excellent idea,can't go wrong with that.The only thing to worry about will be what kind of corals to add depending on the habitants.
Old 03/08/2004, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

If you are planning on going reef in the future and you can afford it now, I would seriously consider metal halide with VHO actinics. I only say that because I started out with a 4 bulb Icecap 660 VHO set-up and quickly wished I had gone the MH route. When I finally did upgrade my lighting it ended up costing me more (new canopy etc) than if I had gone that way from the start.

Just my 2 cents...

Scott
Old 03/08/2004, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

Scott is right, it may be more expensive now but in the long run cheaper than having to buy a second lighting source. If you are thinking of doing a reef you will, and if you do you will wish you had MH's IMO
Old 03/08/2004, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Fishnet,

If you're not sure what kind of corals to keep in the future then you should stick with VHOs, there are alot of corals that will do just find with them,even some clams.Metal halides systems are expensive and costly to operate.I'm not saying that they aren't good here. So, why spend money on a system that you're not sure what corals you'll want in the future.
If you ever changed your mind and wanted sps, clams and certain LPSs ,then all you would have to do is change your canopy .Better yet, if you can build one that will accept MH so, if you change your mind in the future all you'll have to do is put the halides in.

Good luck!
Old 03/08/2004, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

thanks for all the information. I am still a bit confused of course though. The problem is that money is an issue as usual.
4 X 200 gph power heads
90 lbs of LR
some Live sand
ICE CAP VHO, 4 X 110
30g sump
Old 03/08/2004, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

So if I do go with a combination set-up, what would you suggest? I can build my own canopy.
4 X 200 gph power heads
90 lbs of LR
some Live sand
ICE CAP VHO, 4 X 110
30g sump
Old 03/08/2004, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Well if money an issue, I would go with the 660 Icecap and build the canopy high enough to put two MH with reflectors and fans in the future.You can 't go wrong this way, unless,you decide not to add MH,then your canopy will be a little to high ±4".That's the cost you'll have to deal with by not going the MH way,which imho is worth it. Meanwhile, you can lower the VHO as low as you can until you decide to go with MH.

Good luck!
Old 03/08/2004, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

Yeah what coral addict said!!!!!!!!

" Just Because I'm not afraid
to voice my opinion, doesn't
mean you should take it as gospel.....I really don't want
the responsability ;-) "