Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2007, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

micro-bubbles

I know it is early (tank has only been up 24hrs with water, sand & initial 30# cured LR), but how should the micro-bubbles last before I need to start trouble shooting the plumbing, baffles,etc., or are they normal for an initial period of time?

Equip:

ASM G2 skimmer
Mag 18 return
90gal RR w/30 gal sump
Old 05/20/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

If its a skimmer your having micro bubbles in then they need 42 to 72 hours to adjust. Then if mounted on the back of the tank any differance in water makes them trip for 24 hours. Like putting your hand in tank to epoxying a new addition to water changes. A refugium placed skimmer helps with this alot.
Old 05/20/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

The skimmer is in the sump and is separated by baffles before the water enters the return pump.
Old 05/20/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

OK in the first few weeks i used fish tank foam from petsmart to help defuse in the baffles and after time whene tank breaks in they minimize alot.
Old 05/20/2007, 10:19 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I just removed some filter floss I was using to clear up the water (thinking that might be the source). Overall, the clarity is good, just ALOT of bubbles. I'll just give it some time . .
Old 05/20/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Keeping the Outflow chamber as full as possible helps.
Old 05/20/2007, 11:47 PM
"Old Yeller"

Yes they are normal for a new tank. I have seen them as a problem for up to a month and then they just go away.

You should make sure you are not pushing too much flow through your sump/refuge (3 to 5X max) and that the discharge of the skimmer is away from the return pump. Images of your setup are always helpful too..
Old 05/21/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Slow flow thru the sump is a problem. Have all piped returns trying to eliminate powerheads in DT. Right section of sump is fuge with ball valve to manage slow flow thru this section. Left section has skimmer with 80%+/- of overflow with mag 18 return. I can add a third baffle between skimmer and return pump, but might wait a couple of weeks and see if bubbles dissapate on their own?

here's my first attempt at uploading pics,

this should be the sump

this should be the DT, LR just added and waiting for base rock before aquascaping

Old 05/22/2007, 07:54 AM
"Old Yeller"

There is a grocery list of problems pushing that much water through a sump. A closed loop is a far better solution. Tank flow btw should be 20X to 50X turnover..
Old 05/22/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

For what it is worth the 3-5x rule is total volume (correct?), with the pressure loss, I am pushing about 700 gph (per the head loss calc) thru total vol of 110g so approx 7x. I also have two drain lines into the sump/fuge, so the actual input into the skimmer section is a little less. Appreciate the input and agree that I will need to address the increased turnover in the DT ultimately.
Old 05/22/2007, 11:44 PM
Team RC Member

If all else fails, pipe the skimmer outflow back to the main inflow chamber of the sump, make the bubbles run the full length of the sump. That will eliminate a lot.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 05/23/2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Member

As always Sk8r, thanks for the advice. there always seems to be a solution to the problem on this board. right now the water is crystal clear (w/o DT lights) and hope the bubbles will dissapear over time - I have the patience to wait. The skimmer has only been running 5 days and based on previous threads I don't want to over adjust. I have no livestock and can wait for everything to settle.. . .