Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2004, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

plumbing help

Hello,
I am putting in a basement sump. Any opinions on whether to use pvc or flex tubing? any differences? I've heard somewhere that clear tubing is a no no.
thanks,
Mark
Old 12/28/2004, 11:12 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Rigid or flex is upto you.

Clear is a no no because algae will grow inside of it due to the light that can enter.
Old 12/28/2004, 11:18 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

When I first set up my basement sump, I used rigid PVC. A few months later I changed out to flex pvc. Seemingly better flow thru the flex.

HTH

David

Too old for women to care
Old 12/28/2004, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys,
After some reasearch, I think I am going to use the pool type coil fex tube. It looks like it's pretty popular around here.
Mark
Old 12/28/2004, 11:28 AM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by Earl111
Thanks guys,
After some reasearch, I think I am going to use the pool type coil fex tube. It looks like it's pretty popular around here.
Mark
AKA flex pvc. I got mine from www.savko.com
http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=4&ptid=19&pid=36

David

Too old for women to care
Old 12/28/2004, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

Mark,

Flex is the way to go if you don't mind the additional cost. You will get much better flow without the resistance you would get from having to use all those 90 and 45 bends in the rigid PVC. Also, it is just much easier to work with. I set up a basement sump and had to route through walls and floors. Would have been a serious PIA to use rigid. I did use rigid for long straight sections to reduce cost and I would recommend that too. A little hint, use a heatgun to make the flex "flex" in the direction you need it to go. Good Luck, Scott
Old 12/28/2004, 11:40 AM
Registered Member

coool thanks,
I have another question you may be able to help me with. The bulkheads on my return and drain are 1", but the entrance piece to my wet.dry tower is 3/4", I am assuming that if I buy 1" tubing, I cna just put it over the 3/4" with a hose clamp and I should be good? Should I glue all of the connections?
Old 12/28/2004, 11:49 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

If you are going a straight distance for anything over 4 feet I would advise rigid.

The flex PVC is on rolls and it wants to do ANYTHING but go in a straight line.
Old 12/28/2004, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Mark,

Mark, let me start off by saying that I am no expert at plumbing, but what I have done has worked out well for me. I dont think that I would clamp the hose. I would use a reducer to get down to the 3/4" and a coupling so that it can easily be taken apart for maintenance. Glue all connections or use couplings where you want to be able to take sections apart. Take a look in my gallery there are a few shots where you can see my plumbing. It's not pretty but it works and no leaks!
Old 12/28/2004, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

by reducer, you just mean a connection that is 1" on one side and 3/4" on the other right? by coupling you mean a ball valve so that I could easilly disconnect the pump and other things if I wanted to? Sorry, the sump Idea is all new to me, I've done everything previously with hob.
thanks,
Mark
Old 12/28/2004, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

You're correct about the reducer. A coupling is a fitting which can be unscrewed and seperates a section of pvc. Take a look at your local hardware store. If you have a Home Depot they carry couplings in most every size. You'll know it when you see it.
Old 12/28/2004, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

cool thanks!!
Old 12/28/2004, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

The couplings are actually called unions and you can also get them will ball valves and those are called true union ball valves.

I really like these and are what I use.

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=1&ptid=2&pid=1

I've also found reducers are actually called Bushings but they tend to have to fit into another fitting so if you go from a straight pipe and want to change the diameter you have to use a coupler and insert the bushing into that.

http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pg...tid=14&pid=110

Like already mention, the flex wants to stay in a coil and needs very solid connections at the ends to hold it in place. If you are going a long straight distance it would be easier to use rigid and the flex for corners.

AKA *Harley Swingwood*
Old 12/28/2004, 01:28 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for all the help everyone! I may have confused a few people with my pipe terms. In looking at Scotmol's gallery, I am assuming that is flex pvc and it looks like that would be tough to bend. What I was going to use is that coil type, vacum hose kinda tube which looks like it bends pretty easy. It's usually blue. I've seen it used here in pics quote often.
Old 12/28/2004, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Do i use threaded or slip for the valves? I am assuming slip? because threaded would be for regular plastic tubing?
thanks,
Mark