Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/19/2004, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Black Powder by Marc Weiss?

Good or Evil?

Normally, I steer clear of anything with his name on it. I've read his voodoo mumbo-jumbo marketing propaganda, and the sheer audacity of it amazes me. The words "charlatan" and "snake oil" come to mind.

But in the case of Black Powder, I've heard some good things, so I thought I'd ask here. Sorry if I'm late to the game, but I'm just getting my reef re-established after about 8 months, and have some of the stuff sitting around.
Old 03/19/2004, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Rovert,

A couple of years ago, I experimented with it on the advice of a LFS. I saw ZERO difference to my tank. IMO, the words "charlatan" and "snake oil" are right on when it comes to most if not all of his products.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 03/19/2004, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

The comments I heard regarding Black Powder were primarily observations of increased growth of life on the rock. I was just looking for some confirmation.

As to Marc Weiss, the only thing he's good for IMO is as a case study in unethical marketing.
Old 03/21/2004, 05:15 PM
Registered Member

Have you ever smelled the stuff? I bought a bottle about 3 years ago and noticed that it smelled like manure when I opened it.
Old 03/21/2004, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

I noticed an increase in algae growth....why dont you just get some dirt from your backyard and put it in your tank
Old 03/21/2004, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Most of these magic brews are just that. People will add to their tank a mystery mix and the power of suggestion hits them and they see things that were already in the tank. There is no magic potion in a reef tank. Just get the basics down and your tank does fine. The danger is that it might just have the opposite effect on your tank and un-do the good tank husbandry you have established.

The only one that has instant success in this environment is the guy that got you to pay for something you don’t need, his bank account is now enriched.