Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/18/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Thinkin of seahorses

Well, I took apart my 20 gallon reef w/ a 5.5 gallon refugium, sold the coral, and put the tank back together in hopes to try somethin different. I was thinkin of seahorses, but I dont know if my system can support them.

Current tank setup is:
20 gallon tank
5.5 gallon refugium
30 gallon millenium wet/dry w/ hypersorb
5lbs of live rock and a large amount of chaeto in ref.
2x65 watt pc lighting
Tank stays constantly around 74 to 75 degrees w/o a heater.

Is their any species of seahorse that could live in my tank?
Old 11/19/2007, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

IMO if you're diligent with water changes and keep the water in great condition, you could add a pair of seahorses to the tank. Provided that, during the summer, the tank does NOT go higher than 75F.

Personally, I'd go with CB Erectus.

Tom
Old 11/19/2007, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

alright, seems like I can handle that, I was going to add an external fan to cool the water as it is, because I thought seahorses needed closer to 72 degrees, So ill have that just in case. I do water changes every 1 to 2 weeks on my 125 (have to because my aggressive fish make a mess). I will just do waterchanges at the same time.

thx for the help
Old 11/19/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

I believe that 72 is a tad bit chilly for them. I like +/-75
Old 11/19/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peacetypes6
I believe that 72 is a tad bit chilly for them. I like +/-75
Not at all. I have kept mine in the 69-70 range with no ill effects.
Old 11/19/2007, 09:26 PM
--sister of geek--

Temp depends a lot on the species--a bit of reading will tell you all you need to know.
Old 11/20/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spracklcat
Temp depends a lot on the species--a bit of reading will tell you all you need to know.
Yup
Old 11/20/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

sounds good, ill figure out the temp requirements when I decide which kind to get.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:32 AM
Registered Member

If you are going to keep one of the larger species, I really hope you will consider a larger tank.
There are more things to consider than water perams, which are extremely important, of course but I can tell you from experience that you can't go wrong if you will provide them with a larger tank.

The more space you provide them the better. They will use every inch of it.

I think one of the biggest mistakes made is when people try to keep horses in a small, cramped space and then complain because they are boring and inactive.

They are inactive because they have no room to swim and explore,etc, which eventually leads to stress and illness.
Old 11/21/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

Is that why my Erectus seemed kinda boring? I had the rocks layed out across the whole tank and they were kinda blah and now its just on one side and they keep swimming around?
Old 11/21/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

jenny, I am lookin on the small spectrum lol, I'm not dumb and want to fit the biggest seahorse in the smallest tank possible. Erectes were what I was acutally looking at, but there are a few other dwarfs I am looking at too while I am doing research.
Old 11/22/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by limitedslip
jenny, I am lookin on the small spectrum lol, I'm not dumb and want to fit the biggest seahorse in the smallest tank possible. Erectes were what I was acutally looking at, but there are a few other dwarfs I am looking at too while I am doing research.
Erectus are not "dwarves". The only species of dwarf seahorses available in the hobby is Hippocampus zosterae, and they need a very specialized setup since they max out at about an inch. Erectus are a large species seahorse and will get 7"- 8" or more full grown. Where are you doing your research that told you that erectus were dwarves. I would take a look at www.seahorse.org/library/articles.shtml The other commonly available species like reidi and kuda also get that large. Most of the smaller seahorses are temperate or subtropical specis and will require a chiller.
Old 11/22/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I think he meant smallish seahorses not like the Giant Seahorse and them.