Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2007, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
a friend of mine told me that there is a new treatment for the AEFW's that is doing very well but does not affect the corals like the fluke tablets or the levemisol did. here is a link to it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...s~vendor~.html
That link is taking me to a non existant page.

What I have found works well in kocking them off corals is TMPCC and Coral Revive. I used to use TMPCC but it is a harsher on the coral than Coral Revive. THere is another one CoralRx or something like that that seems to be similar to Coral Revive. These are pinesol/fir oil based.

sanjay.
Old 11/09/2007, 11:50 AM

TMPCC works really well IMO and if you watch the coral closely, you can avoid an OD.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Wow Sanjay!
Your aquascape with the coral columns, makes your tank just pop out to me. very natural and open! Keep up the great work!
Old 11/09/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I used to only want to buy large colonies, but this has bitten my butt more than once with nasty hitch-hikers like acro eating crabs, that just can't be found even with vigorous inspection.
We don't buy or accept colonies any more (not for over a year+ now), frags only. If we do end up with a maricultured piece, or colony (that we just cannot pass up for whatever reason), we frag off the base. This loses 10% or so of the coral but helps to ensure a healthier tank (which is more than worth it). In essence, nothing "dead" makes it into our tank. No frag plugs, rocks, bases, etc. In our experience AEFWs won't lay eggs on live coral tissue. The dips should take care of everything else (except for the eggs). So getting rid of any part that could possibly contain eggs is the logical next step.

So the only pieces of any acquisitions that go into our tank are the live pieces. If the colony is so big that there are nooks and crannies that cannot be adequately inspected for eggs, etc, then the whole colony gets fragged to small enough pieces that can be properly inspected.

So fragging and removing any bases then dipping is how we try to keep these pests from our new tank (we learned our lesson, as many others have, when our previous tank was wiped out of it's acros by these monsters).

And we have never had a loss from TMPCC, and we dip long and strong (almost double dosage for 30% - 50% more time than recommended), and we turkey baste periodically throughout the dip. But we have heard good things about Coral Revive (which is what I believe Spaz was trying to link to)
Old 11/09/2007, 01:07 PM

Yeah, I would guess that removing the base would be a good idea. I have only done that in severe cases, but I do see your point.
Old 11/09/2007, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Sanjay,

Thank you for having honesty and integrity to post up about the AEFW's. I know many people wouldnt have mentioned it...especially in a thread where TOTM is being mentioned by several people.

On a different note,

Where can I find info on Coral Revive, Sparks?

Nick
Old 11/09/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
Sanjay,

Thank you for having honesty and integrity to post up about the AEFW's. I know many people wouldnt have mentioned it...especially in a thread where TOTM is being mentioned by several people.

On a different note,

Where can I find info on Coral Revive, Sparks?

Nick
I could care less about TOTM.. I think its important to share problems since that is where most learning takes place. I want people to realize that these things can happen to everyone. Dipping is not a sure proof way of making sure you wont have this problem. STRICT QUARANTEE is the only way.

Also, I want people to realize its not the end of all worlds if your tank is infected with AEFW. There is no need to be tearing out your tank. It can be managed. I have several old time reefers who have AEFW and they have shown me that it can be managed with some extra maintenance tasks. It it can be managed in a 500G reef, or in Joe 20,000G reef.. surely it can be managed in smaller reef tanks. Sharing and discusing experiences is the only way to learn.

As for Coral Revive.. Its a Two little fishies product. So you can get the info you need from their website or contacting them directly.

I am going to go ahead and post some top down close up pics.. so you can see that corals can still look nice and colorful and grow like gang buster inspite of AEFW in the tank.

sanjay.
Old 11/10/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Sanjay PLEASE PLEASE keep up updated on a good basis about how the AEFW soultion that you are going about works and the effects by doing it this way works out long term. "Basicaly everytime you blow off and what not explain what you did and how you see if theres a diffrence in the corals color and PE by doing it this way each time". Thanks for such a amazing tank and all the research that you do for this hobby it is MUCH appreciated
Old 11/10/2007, 01:07 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Arent there some fish that can eat AEFW's? I seem to remember this being mentioned... like those clingfish that eat parasitic snails on clams.
Old 11/10/2007, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

A lot of fish will gobble them up as soon as they are free floating in the water. Fish that will specifically hunt for them - I do not know which ones. People claim wrasses will do it. eg. leopard wrasses, halichoris wrasses, but I have not seen this with the leopoard wrasses and radiant wrasse that I have.

I have a feeling that acro crabs may eat them off the coral, but I don't have enough acro crabs to verify this.

sanjay.
Old 11/10/2007, 01:36 PM
no time for spell check!

sanjay the stuff that my friend uses is the Coral Revive. she says its some awesome stuff for the flat worms. but she is not sure what it does for red bugs. she used the coral revive with zero deaths from the use of it, and its very cheap to buy.
Old 11/10/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanjay
I could care less about TOTM.. I think its important to share problems since that is where most learning takes place. I want people to realize that these things can happen to everyone. Dipping is not a sure proof way of making sure you wont have this problem. STRICT QUARANTEE is the only way.

sanjay.
Sanjay, I agree w/ you wholeheartedly. But its still a refreshing attitude because not many people would do or feel the same way.

Once again, thank you...

Nick
Old 11/10/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Totally agree with you on that one Sanjay
Quote:
I could care less about TOTM.. I think its important to share problems since that is where most learning takes place. I want people to realize that these things can happen to everyone.

sanjay.
Old 11/11/2007, 02:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
I have a feeling that acro crabs may eat them off the coral, but I don't have enough acro crabs to verify this.
There was alot of speculation that the LRB treatments that wiped out most of the acro crabs is what set everyone up for AEFW infestations (IE: That the acro crabs helped to keep the AEFWs from getting a foothold on the acro). That was disproven though with multiple people with acro crabs (sometimes more than one) living in AEFW infested colonies (Adn aparently doing little to nothing about the infestation).
Old 11/11/2007, 11:49 AM
Premium Member

Here are the top down pics I mentioned in an earlier post;

sanjay.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:51 AM
Premium Member

and a few more

sanjay.
Old 11/11/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

looking good sanjay!!
Old 11/11/2007, 01:13 PM

wow, so many nice specimens, but I am strangely drawn to the pink zoanthids. They rock!!
Old 11/12/2007, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

Truely inspiring mate, and a great attitude towards this hobby.

I'm glad to be following in your experiences

Cheers

Chris
Old 11/12/2007, 03:46 PM
On hobby time out!

Sanjay:

Couldn't say enough good things about how great the tank looks. I am amazed at the growth you've had since setting the tank up. Very impressive. MUST be that good and clear local water

One tip that may help you a bit with the blasting of the corals is to take a maxijet 1200 and connect a piece of PVC over the outlet with a 45 degree piece at the end. You can reach easily all over the tank with it if the PVC is the right length and the 45 degree angle will allow you to direct it better at the base of the corals. Sort of like a power washer type of thing. I found it helpfull at least.

Best of luck.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:56 PM

hehe...it's call the Reef Blower! I have one built by Dahn Nguyen and it is sweet. It is the original MJ mod with a length of pipe stuck in the end. I have sevral different lengths to get at different areas of the tank, but be very careful, as it is extremely powerful!
Old 11/12/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
it's call the Reef Blower!
ROFL
Old 11/12/2007, 05:27 PM

I'll take a pic and post it dude...wait 'till you see it.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:14 PM

OK, Here it is...

The Reef Blower:

Built by the Great Dahn Nguyen.

This is an MJ 1200 Mod with a pipe inserted for blowing off rocks. Different size pipes can be used for different levels in the aquarium. Care must be used as this thing is extremely powerful and I would recommend using smaller Maxi-Jets for most tanks.

This thing friggin rocks!! And Sanjay, this could be easily part of your fish feeding routine. It will strip your rocks and corals completely clean, but it takes some getting used to, especially on tanks with sand. I LOVE it!
Old 11/12/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Interesting idea, I think I will copy it....