Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2006, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

My Coralife SS Mod

So after more than a year of getting by with my CSS venturi skimmer, I decided to slap on a turbo.

I purchased an Ocean Runner OR2700 and added a recirc loop.

I'll get some pictures of it in action in a couple of hours. On testing in the sink with fresh SW, all i can say is AMAZING DIFFERENCE. Entire chamber was filled with milk. Tons of TINY bubbles. More pics to come.
Old 08/08/2006, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Sweet mod. I have a 2700 laying around too! I was going to add it to my ASM-G3 that isn't doing anything for me right now.
Old 08/08/2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Here are some more photos. As a side - when testing it on the counter with fresh saltwater, the nw pulled a ton of air. When i put it on the tank, it would hardly pull any. So i went ahead and hooked up an air pump and it's working, but i think it can handle more air. And i wonder why is won't pull air now...anyway. Maybe I'll try to figure that out some other time.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/P8081129.jpg

Let me know if you have any suggestions. I'll get some pics of skimate production when i have some.
Old 08/08/2006, 04:50 PM
Moved On

I'm having a brain fart, right now, but bear with me...

On recirculating pumps, how do you get the water into the skimmer, from the tank?

Also...please describe (or post pics if you have them) of how you drilled and installed the PVC into the reaction chamber and inner chamber. I've tried to clean the inside before and couldnt fit my hand down into the skimmer body.

I have a CSS 220 and am extremely interested in doing this, plus the gate valve return mod.
Old 08/08/2006, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

MSIBWP - since you have a 220, this will be easy to understand. You don't do anything to the existing input and output of the skimmer (the exception is that because mine was a venturi non-NW model, i had to pull out the downpipe inside and cut it shorter so that my inside elbow would fit).

I used Uniseals to enter the outside of the body. To do this, i simply lined up the pump input and output and made a mark. I then drilled a 1.25" hole (using a hole saw) for the Uniseal. Then on the top hole (pump output) i used the same hole saw, stuck my hand down into the skimmer to brace the fragile inside bubble cup (tight fit), and drilled from the outside - through the existing hole that i made and through the bubble cup (sorry no pics). I then used Windex and pushed the 3/4" pvc pipe through the uniseal and through the hole in the bubble cup.

I then took a 90 degree elbow and stuck my hand in the body (again, tight fit and hand was getting scratched up at this point) and attached the elbow.

Then i inserted the lower PVC just through the Uniseal to draw water from the bottom and recirc it back up.

I then measured and cut the pipes sticking out of the side and attached union fittings. One of these fittings i used as the venturi. To do this, i drilled at an angle into the exact center of the union where the inside diameter is smaller. I pushed a length of airline tubing into the hole so that is stopped in the middle of the inside of the pipe in the smaller diameter section.

I then connected the pump and mounted the skimmer and pump to a piece of 1/4" acrylic that i had laying around - for support.

Tested and fired it up. BUY THE WAY, the gate valve is what saves this skimmer. The little stock red knob is impossible to adjust. The gate valve is MUCH better. Do this mod first and immediately.

SOrry if some of that was hard to follow. If you still have more questions, fire away.
Old 08/08/2006, 07:14 PM
Moved On

I can see exactly what you mean...thank you, very much, for the great thread.

I've had my 220 since they very first came out and it's been running great, without the gate valve mod. Mine has been quite easy to adjust, with the red knob...although it is a PITA sometimes.

I was looking to start modding it, just to see if there was any way I could get better performance and I think you've done a great job.

Where did you purchase your Uni-Seals and OceanRunner, if you dont mind me asking?

I've lost my cordless drill months ago and I wonder if you could make the same cuts with a Dremel, since the holes dont have to be exact because of using the Uni-Seals?

One last thing...from the looks of your pics, it appears that you're running your skimmer out of sump? How are you accomplishing this, while still using the factory pump, to pump water into the skimmer?
Old 08/08/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

I bought the uniseals and the gate valve from Savco.com. The pump I got from premium aquatics. The uniseals require a pretty acurate and square hole. I don't think a dremel would work very well.

My skimmer came as an in sump OR hang on back. I just have it hanging on the back of my sump to keep it out of the way. This will work this way in sump too though.

It's real easy to do.
Old 08/09/2006, 12:28 AM
Moved On

How are you supporting the weight of the recirculating pump, if the skimmer is HOB? I saw that you mounted everything onto a piece of 1/4" acrylic, but is that the only thing supporting it?

Sorry for all the questions, but ever since these things came out, this is the best/easiest mod I've seen done.
Old 08/09/2006, 07:09 AM
Registered Member

This is great that I found this thread, I've been looking to mod my SS65. Is it possible to even work inside a 65? I don't think I can fit my hand in there. Assuming I can, what pump would you recommend? I've been using it in my sump and I would like to keep it there due to spacing issues. I thank you for any info you can give me.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MSIBWP
How are you supporting the weight of the recirculating pump, if the skimmer is HOB? I saw that you mounted everything onto a piece of 1/4" acrylic, but is that the only thing supporting it?

Sorry for all the questions, but ever since these things came out, this is the best/easiest mod I've seen done.
The acrylic and the two PVC pipes are supporting it. I epoxied the acrylic to the bottom of the skimmer which provides a lot of surface area to attach. Then I screwed the pump down. When the skimmer is full, it provides plenty of support.

No problem on the questions - sorry for my delayed response.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by caseyjones
This is great that I found this thread, I've been looking to mod my SS65. Is it possible to even work inside a 65? I don't think I can fit my hand in there. Assuming I can, what pump would you recommend? I've been using it in my sump and I would like to keep it there due to spacing issues. I thank you for any info you can give me.
I'm not to familiar with the other models - i'm not even sure which model i have to be honest. If you can't get inside the 65, then its not the end of the world. The only thing you really need to get your hand in there for is to stableize the bubble cup. But i think this could be done with some kind of tool stuck down in there to grab it while you drill.

They make one size smaller OR pump (i think its the 1700). I bet that would be good. The 2700 would definately by too big for anything smaller than this size. It is already on the verge of too turbulent.
Old 08/09/2006, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

thank you...I'll try it out this weekend and let you know how it went. Are you getting more skimmate?
Old 08/09/2006, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

yeah - although the tank is pretty nutrient poor to begin with. I'll get some pics up in the next couple of days.
Old 08/09/2006, 12:40 PM
River Rat

Gate valve mod?
Old 08/09/2006, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

simply buy a 1" gate valve and connect it just after the red knob (via a 1"PVC pipe). Open the red knob fully and use the gate to adjust height. It is much more accurate and stable.
Old 09/15/2006, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

What's that airline tubing that's going down the middle of the skimmer on the inside?

And do you have any AFTER pictures yet? Big difference?

> Click on the little RED HOUSE to see my REEFBLOG!
Old 09/17/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

I just purchased a 220 to play with in my sump. This looks like it's something that can definately help. I'd like to see your pics with it running in the tank though.

Please post when you get a chance.
Old 09/18/2006, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

The pics above are from it running on the tank - just right after I connected it.

I don't have any skimmate pics because i have the skimmate drain from the cup, and thus, it's not there for pics.

GMCQ: That airline tubing on the inside is the air feed to the original venturi (which they put in the downpipe). It is not connected anymore. SOrry for the confusion.
Old 09/18/2006, 10:08 AM
River Rat

I my 220 (n/w) the inside " bubble cup" comes almost to the top of the skimmer. (poor design) It prevents me from putting my hand inside. Has anyone drimeled out the cup? isn't the" feed" "downpipe" in the way also..?
Old 09/18/2006, 10:19 AM
River Rat

BTW, I really do not like uniseals they all seem to leak (at one time or another) I have been playing with a new "saddle mount".. I cut a 4" piece of 4" pvc pipe. then cut the pipe in half to make a "saddle". I then heated the pvc and mashed it - to conform to outside of skimmer body. you then just drill hole to fit pipe and glue in place.. (I haven't tried the glueing part) but have made saddles (someone else want to try it? )
Old 09/18/2006, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

I kinda like the saddle clamp idea too. I have an old skimmer sitting around. Maybe I'll try it this weekend on the old skimmer.

This should be fun.
Old 09/18/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

Do you have any pics of where you drain the skimmate to? Just so we can see what kind of skimmate you're pulling now.

Or else can we get some pics of what kind of foam is ending up in the collection cup?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pbrown3701
The pics above are from it running on the tank - just right after I connected it.

I don't have any skimmate pics because i have the skimmate drain from the cup, and thus, it's not there for pics.

GMCQ: That airline tubing on the inside is the air feed to the original venturi (which they put in the downpipe). It is not connected anymore. SOrry for the confusion.

> Click on the little RED HOUSE to see my REEFBLOG!
Old 09/18/2006, 08:49 PM
Premium Member

Do you think this would work on the CSS65. I have been thinking about trying it.
Old 09/19/2006, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

I'll hook up the drain to a bottle and collect some skimmate. I'll post some pics when I have some skimmate collected.

I have no idea about the CSS65. Again, i'm not even sure which model I have as it has been so long since I purchased it. I don't see why this wouldn't work for any skimmer if you get the right pump size.
Old 09/19/2006, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Here is a pic inside the collection cup (down the riser tube)