Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Should I be worried about all these copepods?

Hello,

My 75 gallon tank is a few weeks old and is hosueing a clownfish, cleaner shrimp, zoas and soft corals so far, as well as some cleanup crew. Everything seems to be going very well, but lately I noticed a kind of slight "cloudiness" to the water, with some white specks floating around. Today when I got home I saw some of the specks stuck to the glass, moving around. Upon further inspection I identified them as Copepods.

Is it normal that I have tons of them in my tank right now? It doesn't seem to be bothering anything else in the tank, but they do show up as little white specks in my pictures and I'm just wondering if their population will eventually calm down, or if there is somehting else I should be doing. All paarameters seems to be doing great, although I haven't tested alkalinity.

Thanks,

Cheebs.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

You should be ok. Copepods are a natural food for fish and they wont do any harm. you can keep the population in check by adding a mandarin or green goby but if you dont have a refugium where they can re populate the gobies will eventually wipe them out. BTW, there are pods that can do harm but i cant remember the name of them. Im sure someone will chime in on that tho.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, didnt realize your tanks only a few weeks old. I'd hold off on the gobies for a couple months.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:36 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. Could there be an excess because of too many nutrients in the water? OR is this a natural occurence in most tanks?

Cheebs
Old 10/17/2007, 10:17 PM
Unregistered Member

Large amphipods are bad. Or isopods. I think.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:35 PM
Premium Member

Copepods are not a problem, don't worry about it. I wish I had more myself. Their populations regulate themselves, I wouldn't add a fish to control them. Many fish (such as clowns) will make a snack of them, as can corals, so consider them supplemental food (except for the fish that require them). Amphipods are also great to have, the only thing that can be problematic are parasitic isopods, which are generally rare and if you get them they'll likely come in on fish. A fishless tank can't support them.
Old 10/17/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

I have them on my glass too... I had them pretty thick for about 3 weeks, then i added my 2 clowns(first fish) and they seem to be thinned out... and i came to a conclusion that they are the reason my clowns don't appear to have a large appetite. I think they are filling up on these little creatures. All day they peck around the glass.

I also have some bigger ones, around 2mm that i see squirm in and our of my protopalys. I wonder if they will ever become food and quit stealing the corals food?
Old 10/17/2007, 11:25 PM
Team RC Member

They eat algae. This is a good thing. What you're experiencing is called a 'bloom' in a natural system: temporary conditions favor a large population. It will die back and you'll wish you had more of them.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 10/18/2007, 12:30 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys.. Glad to hear this isn't a bad thing.
Old 10/18/2007, 04:48 AM
Registered Member

Yah, it's a very good thing. It means you have to buy less to add to the system!!! Once your tank is more established, throw in a mandarin. They're awesome fish (IMO) and they love the little buggers!!!
Old 10/18/2007, 06:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sk8r
They eat algae. This is a good thing. What you're experiencing is called a 'bloom' in a natural system: temporary conditions favor a large population. It will die back and you'll wish you had more of them.
Exactly what is happening. You'll see the populations up for a while, then they will level off. They decrease as the algae decreases (their food source) which decreases as the nutrient levels dercease (THEIR food source) which decreases as the bacteria population levels off and things are "stable" (for the time, anyway).
Old 10/18/2007, 07:14 AM
Premium Member

Put them in a bottle and sell them on ebay. Plenty of people buy them to start off a fuge.
Old 10/18/2007, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by edwing206
Large amphipods are bad. Or isopods. I think.
Amphipods are good... so long as they aren't bigger than the fish in the tank (hehe... "Godzilla-Pod"). Otherwise they are a benificial detrivore.

Isopods are almost universally bad.

Either way, "Live and let live" and try not to bother what likely isn't bothering the tank and the inhabitants.