Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2007, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Anybody using PH Pens?

I will be needing a new PH test kit soon and was considering getting the Milwaukee PH600 Pen Meter:

It's not much more expensive than a test kit. Is anybody using one? Are they better than using a standard test kit? I don't currently have the money for a meter, if it's junk, I'll just get another $10 test kit.
Old 01/26/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

I am curious about this product as well... seems very convienient... a little too convienient... i smell a conspiracy

Want an RC search that works? Go here- http://www.reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11
Old 01/26/2007, 01:33 PM
Secret Member

I used a Hanna which looked identical to that. Assuming that you know how to take care of an electrode, I think it will serve you very well.
Old 01/26/2007, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

I have read that if they have got 2 calibration points (high and mid points / low and mid points) then they are good enough to use, could i good be wrong though!!
Old 01/26/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

if they have got 2 calibration points (high and mid points / low and mid points) then they are good enough to use
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That depends on how linear there measurement accuracy is over the calibrated range.
Old 01/26/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Here is the description for it:

The Milwaukee pH 600 is designed for quick and reliable pH measurements.

Specifications
Ran*e: 0.0 to 14.0 pH
Resolution: 0.1 pH
Accuracy: ±0.2 pH
Calibration: Manual 1 point
Battery Life: 700 hours approx

It apparently has only 1 calibration point. Does that mean it's no good?

Navyblue - What special requirements are there for taking care of an electrode? I would use it and rinse it off with tap water, then dry it off and store. Anything else?
Old 01/26/2007, 04:56 PM
Reef Addict

doesn't seem to be very accurate with having a +/- 0.2
Old 01/26/2007, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

Is +/- 0.2 that bad?!! Sorry i don't know a lot about these things but it has to be better than colour change liquid IMO!!
Old 01/26/2007, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

How about this one:

http://www.proaquatica.com/proddetai...c6636a871947d9
Old 01/26/2007, 05:43 PM
my member is registered.

Quote:
Originally posted by chris.hampton
Is +/- 0.2 that bad?!! Sorry i don't know a lot about these things but it has to be better than colour change liquid IMO!!
yeah i also think it would be better then the color changing liquid.
Old 01/26/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

From what I've seen over the years, A cheap pH meter isn't worth the plastic it's made from. They are hit or miss with accuracy and never hold calibration. I've heard that a decent pH meter should run you $80-$100.

I got lucky because my dad is a chemist & bioligist and he gave me a $1500 pH meter that obviously works flawlesly. I asked him why I can't just buy a $50 meter that does the same thing. He said cheap pH meters are exactly that......"cheap". He said that using a cheap meter will just frustrate you. Spend a few extra bucks or stick to a test kit.

- Stanley J. Gardiner
Old 01/26/2007, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Rook I got one of those to test to PH in developer at work and was told by an engineer it was no good and to buy some other one he was trying to sell (about 10 times the price!!) but it has done the job for me, always get the right exposure!!
Old 01/26/2007, 11:35 PM
Secret Member

I find mine stays calibrated for more than a year, or years, I couldn't remember. That is until he pH 7 buffer that I am recommended to soak the probe in dried up. After some reconditioning it's good again. When you got it the solution that the probe is in will probably dried up, so you gotta condition it before use.

+/- 0.2 does sound bad, but IME it has been very consistent. Although it has only 1 calibration point, when I counter check it against other buffer I find it to be spot on, I don't see the +/- 0.2 here.