Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2006, 11:45 AM
SPS Freak

I ran mine all night at 50mg/r with the luft at setting 5 and I didn't see the orp go up at all. I'll check this evening and see.
Old 03/09/2006, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

Here's the goods to monitor the tank and ozone:

Here is the skimmer hookup, you can see where it sucks from the lid... That's not ozone safe tubing but it won't get the brunt of the ozone either. The smell isn't bad now but the ORP is rising really slowly.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 03/09/2006, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Well, since this site is so stable I now have to retype my entire post. Lovely.......

To anyone else that has the enaly unit, does it run hot? Where the output tube is the surface is 160 degrees. The ozone safe tubing is slightly discolored too. Is this normal?

Old 03/09/2006, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

I opened the unit again and the plastic on the inside had melted some. Hopefully enaly makes good with it.

I don't want to wait three weeks to get another so I just ordered the 50 mg/hr sander unit. I'll sell the new enaly unit when I get it.

Old 03/09/2006, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Why is the coralife air luft pump important? Can a regular air pump from petsmart work for this application?

Old 03/09/2006, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Did I read that you disconnected the built-in air pump in your Enaly?
Did you not replace that with an external air pump?
I would think without an air pump pushing air through the unit it (best case) wouldn't do much or (worst case) cause problems with no air flowing through it - i.e. overheat.
My enaly does get very hot too.
The luft pump just seems to be very popular because it's adjsutable.
I would think you can use any air pump.
Old 03/09/2006, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

If you modified the Enaly, I doubt it would be covered under warranty.
Old 03/09/2006, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

I simply unplugged the tube from the airpump, I plugged it back in.

With the air pump running the unit heated up again so I unplugged it and removed it as I can understand hot, not so hot the plastic on the outside and inside starts to melt. I'm waiting to hear from enaly now.

Old 03/09/2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

thrlride i didnt understand the last post. does the enaly run hot with or without the air pump? how long would the enaly run on a given day, on average? thanks
Old 03/09/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Thrlride,

Forget about the Enlay for now, your setup is so clean it deserves a Sanders unit to compliment your emmaculate filtration.

I'm glad you ordered the sanders unit and I really encourage you to get the Luft pump, they go hand and hand.

We have almost the same setup up you and I, makes me want to copy the way you have your powerstrip buttons all in one area, very clean.

Get the 500 g dryer if you can, it's essential to running less ozone as you require less if you have dryer air.

Can't wait for your updated pic when your goodies come in.

Geeze what a headache on that Enlay, just too many corners to cut just to get it to run, I know it must be a good unit don't get me wrong just a hassle with all the DIY work.

JMO,

MG
Old 03/09/2006, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perureef
thrlride i didnt understand the last post. does the enaly run hot with or without the air pump? how long would the enaly run on a given day, on average? thanks
The enaly top surface, where the label is got to 160 degrees and the rear was 200 degrees. The plastic on the rear is deformed and the label in the front is starting to peel off. I plugged back in the airpump portion and turned it back on. Within 30 minutes of it running the rear surface was back up to 145 and still rising. I didn't want to risk the house so unplugged it. When I opened it up the plastic inside was so soft that I could move it with my hands. I have friends that run these without the airpump and it still runs cool, something is wrong with mine, no doubt about it.

Old 03/09/2006, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Thanks MG, the tank has been very troublefree but recently it has started to get some troublesome algae, I'm hoping the ozone will clean up the water some to aid in this.

I really do like those power strips, they really clean up the installation.

Old 03/09/2006, 07:34 PM
Reef Addict

i have no problem with the enaly unit overheating cuz it does not have an air pump, maybee u just got a bad one, in any case i can see how u are fed up with it.
IME if i was to get another ozone generator it would be an Ozotech. whats another 300 bucks 30 frags.
Old 03/09/2006, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

would this ozone generator do the trick,
similar to the enaly??

http://cgi.ebay.com/EASELEC-300mg-h-...QQcmdZViewItem

howard
Old 03/09/2006, 08:05 PM
Premium Member

I was looking at that one too. Looks very much like the enaly but claims 300 mg/hr. That's a lot of ozone! For the record, the enaly claims 200 - 300.

Old 03/09/2006, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the info. sorry about your situation, i hope the sanders proves to be trouble free. i dont mean this to sound the wrong way but i hope that this was just an isolated incident. so far what i have heard about enaly on RC are that they are pretty good for the price. i hope mine doesnt burn down!
Old 03/09/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

currently, i have a sanders that has a max of 25mg/hr...

.i had another sanders with a max of 100 mg/hr but it did not behave....the fuse blew and it won't start up after i replaced it
Old 03/09/2006, 10:41 PM
Premium Member

Although the Enaly is not adjustable - with the use of a adjustable pump like the Luft or a standard airpump with external adjustment valve you can fine tune the output to lower values. Here is a table from their website - hopefully this is useful to folks considering this unit. This applies to the generator without integrated pump.

Sample of Ozone Output Chart (AC120V 50Hz)

Pure Oxygen Input

(l/min)
Ozone Output

(mg/h)
Concentrations

(mg/l)
3/4
1/2
1/4
1/8
1/16

*Power Source: Products for AC220-240
countries are available also.

Old 03/09/2006, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

where can i find this coralife air luft pump? is this the pump you're referring to Melbourne?
Old 03/09/2006, 11:22 PM
reefman

here is one place
Old 03/10/2006, 12:06 AM
SPS Freak

I got mine at marine depot. I generally spend enough to get free shipping so it saves me a few bucks.

My Orp was at 365 tonight. My lights turned off and it dropped to 355. Does anyone know what the luft pump should be at to get the most ozone out? I would think only so much ozone is gonna go through no matter what unless it is dialed down too low.
Old 03/10/2006, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

ok. so, after you remove the pump from the enaly, do you then need to add a luft pump? then why remove the pump? i thought that the suction from the venturi in the pump would be sufficient to bring ozone into the system. thanks for the info.
Old 03/10/2006, 05:12 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Melbourne
This applies to the generator without integrated pump.
Do you know where you can find the unit without the integrated pump?

An adjustable Enaly with out air pump?
http://cgi.ebay.com/EOA-400Y-Ozone-G...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by TwistedTiger; 03/10/2006 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03/10/2006, 07:57 AM
Premium Member

Yes Twisted, that's the one.

Old 03/10/2006, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

For folks with venturi fed ozone IMO you are probably better off with an adjustable generator like the Sanders - since you will need to factor in how much air is sucked in just by the venturi plus how much you are feeding it via pump (if being used) and how much is lost if using a tee. If you are using a reactor or a skimmer with its own ozone attachment then you will be feeding it ozone so the air pump will dictate how much you pump in - using an air dryer, etc. will also factor in.

Enaly has a few without the air pump the one linked and this one.

http://www.enaly.com/EOZ-300Y.htm

Here is the FAQ from their website.

1.Which is the better unit, OZX-300U or OZX-300Y ?

Answer:
Both OZX-300U and EOZ-300Y are at the same quality level. The difference of these two products is that OZX-300U has a built in air pump, which EOZ-300Y does not have.
OZX-300U is designed for users who do not intend to use their own air pumps or want to use ozone generator more easily without adding any extra equipment. EOZ-300Y is an ozone unit without air pump. It has an air inlet allowed users to use external air pumps or oxygen tanks to supply gases to it for making ozone gas. It gives users very wide choices for arranging their own air supply systems. By supplying pure oxygen to it, EOZ-300Y can be used for making drinking water.

Its highly recommended you purchase an ORP controller - the cheapest and most common is the SMS510. Here is a link to it below - if you shop around you can get it for under $100 shipped.

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/mw_s510.htm

If you can afford it the Sanders is the way to go - if you are on a tight budget then the Enaly seems to be ok.