Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Arizona - Fish & Reef Aquarium Group (FRAG)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 07:19 PM
Registered Member

Arrow BOB FENNER IS COMING TO FRAG!!

SO EXCITING!!!!!!! Bob Fenner the author of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist ", "A Fishwatcher's Guide to The Saltwater Aquarium Fishes of the World", (among others) and The creator of Wet Web Media, will be a GUEST SPEAKER AT FRAG!!!

He is tentatively scheduled to come to the JUNE 14th 2008 meeting. He might have to push it back to the August meeting but as of now were on for the 14th of June.

If you have NEVER heard Fenner speak, you NEED to come to this meeting. Here is a little bit of Fenners Bio:

Robert (Bob) Fenner is a content provider to the pet-fish (ornamental) aquatics hobby and trade, dive/travel adventure and underwater natural history genres; writing, photography and videography. Though retired since 1994, he continues to produce in this field as well as consult on aquaculture and public aquarium installations.

Bob has "lived" the science, hobby and business of aquatics in the Philippines, Japan and United States. All phases; collector, wholesale, jobber, retail, design, construction and maintenance. All levels; manager, owner, hatchery worker, retail clerk, technician. Except for a stint teaching high school sciences for four years, he has worked all his life in the field of ornamental aquatics.

Academic experience includes fifteen years of college, a couple of life science degrees and a teaching credential for chemistry, physics and biology. Published works include several studies on aquatic biological and chemical questions, and an extensive book and article publishing (helped author a few books, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Fishwatcher's Guide to the Tropical Marine Aquarium Fishes of the World, Natural Marine Aquariums Reef Invertebrates...) and photographic background in aquatic industry and hobby fields. Have taught High School sciences and Marine Sciences and Aquariology courses at the State University, University of California levels.

Bob has been an avid aquatic hobbyist since day one and is active in hobbyist and scientific organizations. He has served on numerous Boards, judged shows and given many programs.

Helped form and run (President) of the employee-owned corporation, Nature Etc., Inc. in San Diego, started in 1973; a turn-key operation in the field of ornamental aquatics, designing and building ponds, lakes, fountains and waterfalls (Aquatic Environments), designing, installing custom aquarium systems and maintenance (Aquatic Life Services), and operating retail outlets (Wet Pets).... currently does consulting, content provision to the trade, sciences and hobby of aquaristics.

Beyond the above amazing accreditations, he is a blast to listen to, and always puts on a killer presentation! He will likely bring a power point presentation showing some of the Mariculture facilities that he has been involved in, and I am sure some fantastic stories about his experience in the hobby!!!

I will set up all accommodations for him for his stay, and give him a little tour of all the LFS in the area.

I will have a "FENNER FUND" at all the FRAG and PROP meetings, (Provided PROP is ok with this) for DONATIONS. All the donations will go to offset the cost of Hotel and other expenses while he is here. I would appreciate all the groups help in this effort, after all I don’t know how many clubs are lucky enough to have an amazing aquarist such as Fenner speak for their club! ANY donations will be welcome!!!

Well I hope your all as excited as I am, and I really look forward to hearing him speak once again. Again the meeting date will be JUNE 14th, at Pranksters Gar and Brill too in Scottsdale! Mark this on your calendar you dont want to miss this meeting!!!!!

Thanks all!
Old 01/07/2008, 07:28 PM
got montipora?

WOOT!!!! you are the coolest Adrian!! (right after me )

-jesse

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

-Aristotle

Last edited by frontosa_man80; 01/07/2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:39 PM
O-Qua Tangin Wann

Thats awesome. You rule.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:40 PM
Hopeless addict

Wow, way to start out with a bang. VERY COOL
&nbsp&nbsp o@o&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp "\_r'
&nbsp @o|,@&nbsp&nbsp _/,_&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp >( ')
_..@@_..7il=l=@lv|e.._
Old 01/07/2008, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

WOW -- AWESOME
Old 01/07/2008, 07:50 PM
Registered Member

Yea I figured I needed to step up in a big way LOL! I cant wait.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:54 PM
Mushroom King

I'll have to take notes

Dam these Mushrooms why must I love shrooms so much. If only I could grow somthing else >:)

"Ya I shot ya....What you gonna do about it ??" Cupid
Old 01/07/2008, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

great job Adrian, look forward to his talk, thanks
where does Bob live?
Old 01/07/2008, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

That's pretty dang cool. Way to go Adrian!

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds. - B.M.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:26 PM
Mindless Philosopher

That's Awesome!

I will donate 100% of my personal (non-prop) coral sale proceeds from the next two PROP auctions to the Fenner fund
Old 01/07/2008, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

WOW Rob thats AWESOME!

Elliot, I think he was living in Hawaii for a while but now he resides in San Diego.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:43 PM
Premium Member

Old 01/07/2008, 10:18 PM
HELP SLOW

Most excellent!!!

Prop will gladly let you pass the hat at the Auctions.

And I'm pretty sure PROP has some $$ set aside to help bring Fenner to Arizona FRAG!!!

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

I am in awe! If you don't mind my asking.... how did you set this up? I think that there is going to need to be some reserved seating or something because i have a feeling that pranksters wont fit all the people that are going to go to this....... just a thought.
<º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
Old 01/08/2008, 01:33 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

That is awesome! I'm NOT going to get into what I think would be better for fundraising but silent donations usually end up being zilch. I wonder if it would be better say we need "X" amt of donations of $Y to raise the money. Or at least keep a tab of what you need to make it happen. People can "silently" be cheap also. I hesitate to even say anything since these discussions get a little crazy. Just hoping this comes together, and as painlessly for YOU as possible.

Can't wait to hear the details and no way would I miss it!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

I have been talking on and off with Fenner since I was a member of DMS YEARS ago. I enjoyed his presentation so much, and in general he is just a cool guy! I was actually thinking about starting up a SW store and Fenner was kinda my go to guy. I decided it wasnt for me, but still kept in contact, and just asked if he would come and speak for us, he said sure.

SEATING: Yea this is gonna be hard to figure out. I will probally have to talk with Pranksters and figure out if we can bring in a few more tables, or chairs or both. Thats to say its inside. Lots of details to figure out but I think it will all work out. I think it would be best to have it inside since its gonna be pretty warm by then and also because it will be easier to hear him, not to mention the slide show. I will work on figuring it out, and I think even if its cramped it will be worth it!

DONATIONS: I hear ya Fliger. I cant be stuck with a huge bill lol. When time gets closer I will have more details on where he is going to stay and exact dates he will arrive and leave, and then give a ball park of the cost. Up until that point I will have the FENNER FUND jar at all the FRAG and PROP meetings and may set up a PAY PAL account if say in April we are way off from where we need to be. I think it will all go well, and I think people will be as excited as I am (hopefully) and donate to a GREAT cause!
Thanks all!

Last edited by Helfrich’s Chic; 01/08/2008 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:15 AM
Registered Member

WOW!!! And I agree, I don't think Pranksters is going to hold all of us. But I'll be there, no matter what. It's on the calendar!!!!
Old 01/08/2008, 10:47 AM
HELP SLOW

If we end up with a solid count of who will be attending this event and it is greatly over the usual number of people who attend there is a very good posibility that Pranksters would close the bar for the event while it was going on.

I agree with David, the community needs to know what we will need $$ wise to make this happen. It should not rest on Adrian's shoulders alone.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE

they paved paradise and put up a parking lot.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:27 AM
Registered Member

I remember when the Arizona Marine Society had him speak. Well worth attending. Special admission price might help.
Old 01/08/2008, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

We'll be there. I agree that we may need more seats.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:54 PM
Registered Member

OK FOLKS here is the low down. I am pricing things out and doing a round about estimate.

$220 for a round trip flight (SW airlines) The website didnt go back to June so I just got an estimate for a weekend in May.

$240 for 3 nights in a hotel @ $80 a night. This is again a etimate, maybe more or less depending on where exactly he wants to stay.

Anything over will go for food for him while he is here. He has asked for NO compensation for his time, WHAT A GUY!

If I have any left over money from donations they will go back into the club for gift certifactes and such for raffles.

This is my plan. I will check out Pranksters when I go to the meeting this month on the 19th. I will figure out the seating then. I will likely put up a thread on all who plan to attend once it gets closer.

AS FAR AS DONATIONS GO.. we are looking at a MINIMUM total of $450. I think this is realistic. SO say we would need 40 people to donate $12.00 each! Thats TOTALLY possible with the ammount of members in this great group.

I plan to have the FENNER FUND at all the meetings up until the June meeting.

I will do a count of cash after the MAY meeting and see where we are at. If we are too far away from the Goal I WILL CHARGE ADMISSION FOR THE PRESENTATION, it will only be a small fee that I will estimate to get us to where we need to be.

I will only do an admission if we dont hit our goal by May. I think with the ammount of people in this club we will be ok, but I will have to wait and see. Thanks all!
Old 01/08/2008, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

HC, way to get on the ball and hit the ground running. I think this is going to be a good year
Old 01/08/2008, 02:48 PM
Team RC Member

For those of you who have never met Bob, you are in for a treat! The guy should be a comedian. A lot of this is reflected in his writing style but wait until you meet him in person! He is a typical down to earth California surfer dude and loves what he does. Count me in.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

Not to damper the spirit of attendance .. but find out the capacity of the build permit for pranksters (its posted on a wall somewhere) and seating would have to be limited to that.

Not a stick in the mud but you don't want the police to the event and shut it down by overcrowding .... extra tables and chairs might not be possible.

I would love to attend as well and thanks for all your efforts in setting this up and taking on the collections!
Old 01/08/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

^ BUZZKILL! JK lol, next time I am there I will take a look, I am worried about the occupancy limits as well. There is also that other room next to the room we meet in. It might fit more people, im not sure, never really looked. Were still months away but I did want to get this planned asap so it goes nice and smooth. ABSOLUTE WORST case is that we will have to have it somewhere else. I REALLY do NOT want to do that so I will do what I need to, to make it work. I just wanted to get everyone filled in on the costs and the info as soon as possible so we have no last min. problems and can raise the money we need.

Ok So I called and found out that the room we are usually in is 40 people, so thats out lol.

The room when you come out and go left of our usual room holds 60 people. I am still working on it. Can I get some guestimates on how many people YOU think will be there? Just a guess. Thanks

Last edited by Helfrich’s Chic; 01/08/2008 at 03:46 PM.