Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 03:19 PM
Premium Member

Hey Nick.....I have a set of chains that might fit your mustang..... ??
Old 12/10/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

I though about chains but in all honesty i really don't want to be out driving around during a snow storm anyways just because i don't want to get hit by someone else.

Just for the heck of it PM me the info on them and what your looking for for them.

Nick

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 12/10/2007, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bignick
i have gotten stuck in a inch of snow before with my car using 240lbs of sand in the trunk, and all season tires.
Is that the play sand everyone is looking for their tanks? lol
Old 12/10/2007, 07:27 PM
Frag-a-holic

I saw some "spider" chain type things before that were pretty cool. I have been in some pretty bad snow before, and I have never had to put chains on(knock on wood). It is all about knowing how to keep from getting stuck. I have gotten close though. Both of my trucks are 2wd by the way. I once drove the Donner Pass(between Reno and Sacramento) in a Geo Metro with no chains in about 1 foot of snow. It was a long trip though. I should have had chains and I am pretty lucky I made it though. I just couldn't find any for my 12" rims.

Where is a good place to go snowboarding around here without going all the way up to the Dells?

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/10/2007, 07:30 PM
Frag-a-holic

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

Here is a link to those spider things I was talking about.

Save a reef, trade a frag!
Old 12/10/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bignick
I've got a nice set of 42" Super Swampers in my garage if you need them. I have a sawzall if you need to make room to fit them also.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

Going on 9pm.So far,so good.Looks like a pretty good system coming this way!I had to park the truck at the bottom of the driveway tonight and drag a 50 pound bag of doggie food up the hill!The price you pay for living in the country up on a hill.
Old 12/10/2007, 09:48 PM
Big Boy Pants

Quote:
Originally posted by john eichwedel
The price you pay for living in the country up on a hill.
Yeah, I bought a Subaru. The only vehicle that goes up my driveway, with snow coming over the top of the hood.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 12/10/2007, 09:52 PM
OT JUGgler

Quote:
Originally posted by rickyb
Is that the play sand everyone is looking for their tanks? lol
Doh!!! Thats were all the southdown went!!!

so when is this storm supposed to hit???
Old 12/10/2007, 11:17 PM
Productive Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally posted by broke1
I've got a nice set of 42" Super Swampers in my garage if you need them. I have a sawzall if you need to make room to fit them also.
Are the 42"s in good shape? Which Super Swamper are they? What size rim? I have 39.5 Super Swamper IROKs right now, but have room for 42s, no problem.
--t-l-f--
---d-y---
Old 12/11/2007, 12:11 AM
ghetto retro

Nick, dunlop winter tires are your best friend. Trust me, when i had the cobra i put some of those on for winter and it made a huge difference, never actually got stuck in it. The summer tires, well thats a different story..........
Old 12/11/2007, 12:57 AM
Tank Collector

Ive heard the best tires for winter on performance cars are the Blizzaks.... that being said, I say park the stang for winter like I do.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

The storm hit the chicago are just after midnight starting with a mix of sleet and freexing rain, then switching over to just freezing rain.

Well i get up this morning and look outside to see that everything has a glaze to it and say ahh s**t loud enough to wake up my wife and make the dog bark. I go outside to bring the garbage out and slip and fall twice. Once down the driveway, and once back up. Its okay though my back and head took the majority of the blow. There was about an 1/8 an inch of ice on everything. So be very careful this morning. The main roads are questonable at best, so take it easy. I think we are stuck in the section/path of the storm that will only recieve freezing rain all day. I could be wrong and i have yet to look at the radar since late last night.

As for my car and snow tires. Screw it. I know what my car can and cannot go through safely when it comes to snow accumulation, so i pick and choose my battles. I appreciate the help though.

Just because they say you can't do it doesn't mean you can't prove them wrong.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

There was a nice layer of ice on my windshield this morning when I woke up to go to work... the roads weren't too bad, and I am actually glad that I had to be at work before rush hour today...
Old 12/11/2007, 09:01 AM
Thinking Too Hard

Only thing about going to work is the commute back home if it's bad all day.
Old 12/11/2007, 09:28 AM
Discontented Reefer

I ran out of "regular" ice melt salt and threw down about 1/2 bag of dow flake... that hurt, but not as much as taking a spill on the driveway does. I wiped out a couple of days ago and don't want to do it again this year if I can avoid it.

When I run out of Dow Flake, I guess I'll have no choice but to break out the Southdown. I'm not sure which is going to be harder to replace!
Old 12/11/2007, 11:52 AM
OT Slaughter House

Quote:
Originally posted by ppurcell
I ran out of "regular" ice melt salt and threw down about 1/2 bag of dow flake... that hurt, but not as much as taking a spill on the driveway does. I wiped out a couple of days ago and don't want to do it again this year if I can avoid it.

When I run out of Dow Flake, I guess I'll have no choice but to break out the Southdown. I'm not sure which is going to be harder to replace!
don't do it......

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeD
Only thing about going to work is the commute back home if it's bad all day.
I agree... but as luck would have it, I will be getting out of school early this afternoon - avoiding the traffic of rush hour... thanks in part to it being the end of the semester... let the winter break begin for me!