Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2006, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Neurotic Royal Gramma?

I just bought a royal gramma 2 days ago and he has been hanging out in the upper corner of the tank upside down. He was very active in the store, and has good coloration. No external signs of disease. When it's feeding time, he eats a lot, then goes back to the upside down position. Is this a royal gramma thing? Do they do this for a while when put into a new environment? OR, if it is a possible swim bladder problem, should I give him a medicine dip? THANKS
Old 11/10/2006, 02:21 AM
Registered Member

I wont say this often but "that is just weird"....

I've heard of similar things when a puffer or even angler gulps a bunch of air. Never heard of it with a RG. Any weird acclimation or QT occurances? Water parameters? Does it change during the 24 hour cycle (day/night, lights on/dark, feeding time only, etc)

I'll ask petstorejunkie and see what she says. I'll let you know what her input is...
Old 11/10/2006, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

ive seen them behave in similar fashions, I think its a "crevice" behaior. May reflect the nich it came from and still thinks it had to hide under a ledge.....just my theory.
Old 11/10/2006, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

It is getting better, still hanging upside down but not as much as before. Maybe it is just getting used to its nwe surroundings. Thanks for the input.
Old 11/10/2006, 11:53 PM
Registered Member

Per petstorejunkie he probably swallowed an air bubble. If it got a big gulp/swallow of air when it was being bagged up in the store that could do it. Usually the air will pass on its own. Keep us posted....
Old 11/11/2006, 01:24 AM
Registered Member

Highly unlikley, he would have obvious other signs, stress related and most apparent would be a very erratic swiming pattern while eating....almost like an A. polymnus (saddleback clown).
Old 11/11/2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

I've read that it is not uncommon for royal grammas to swim like this.

Source: Mike Palettas "The New Marine Aquarium"
Old 11/11/2006, 01:20 PM
840>420

Hanging out upside down is normal behavior for a gramma. What kind of fish is it in with. Most new fish either run to the rocks or hang out at the surface.
Old 11/12/2006, 04:24 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, this is normal for royal grammas. They are found positioned upside down in caves in their natural habitat. Don't medicine dip it- you are more likely to kill it that way.
Old 11/12/2006, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by OoNickoC
Highly unlikley, he would have obvious other signs, stress related and most apparent would be a very erratic swiming pattern while eating....almost like an A. polymnus (saddleback clown).