Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/29/2007, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

The start and progress of my 72 bowfront reef tank!

Well I did it and dropped the deposit for a brand new AGA 72 bowfront tank... I decided that this a hobby with ALOT to learn and since I was starting from scratch that it would be best to buy piece by piece and build it slowly. I will be picking up my tank on Thursday and every paycheck I will try to buy the next piece in the puzzle. Next will be the stand (no canopy because I want to do a coralife aqua hood).

Ive obviously changed my mind about a few things but here is where im at:

Items I want to purchase...

Euro-Reef RS100

Coralife aqualight plus/ or pro hood (exact model TBA)

sump with fuge (LR and LS)

Pumps and powerheads(not sure which models/brands)

If you guys have some recommendations please post... Also, since I am new to this hobby I would rather buy a sump/fuge that is ready to use instead of trying to build and design my own. If anyone knows where I may purchase one lemme know. Also, if you guys know places to buy some of the listed items at the lowest prices please post as I will be buying these items primarily on the internet.

GIMME SOME FEEDBACK!!!

I will also be posting pics along the way!

eddy

salinity: 1.025
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
ph :8.0-8.3
alk: 4
calcium: 450-500

(knock on wood...)

Last edited by bertoni; 07/30/2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05/30/2007, 07:19 AM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Great!

I have an Aqua light Pro Retro and i like it, because it has everything built in, for the sump i would go as big as i could fit in the stand, for power heads you could mod some Maxi Jets and it would cost less, or you could get 2 Tunze Nano Stream 6025's (i plan to get 2 6055's with the controller.)

Not sure about the skimmer, i don't have that kind.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 05/30/2007, 07:30 AM
Master of Funk

You cannot fit anything larger than than a standard 20g Long under that stand with out hacking it up. Even the 20 long will have to go down through the top. I wouldn't fill the tank until you get a sump. If down through the top is the only way it will fit, you will be bumming if the tank is filled.

I second the Nano streams, I have two and love them.
Old 05/30/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

I have a 72 bow AGA with an Oceanic bow stand. Inside that stand there is only 9 inches of width at the ends, with more obviously at the center. I ended up having Tap Plastics custom fabricate a sump to my specs. Cost was ~100. I would get the sump before your skimmer, just so you can make sure you have the space to fit the model your looking at. It can be a tight fit inside that stand.
Old 05/30/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

Congrats on your planned purchase. All sounds good on your list. My only sad rec (being that I have a 75), is that in 6 months, you'll end up wishing you bought a bigger tank

This hobby is funny that way. Although you probably could have put a deposit down on a 180 gallon tank and in 6 months be wishing you had bought a 300 gallon too

Seriously congrats. I personally saved money on Ebay and Preminumaquatics.com I bought all my LS on Ebay and had a good experience with that. I bought LR from Premium Aquatics and the LFS.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 05/30/2007, 03:23 PM
Girls Rule!

I have the 72 with Oceanic upgraded stand. You can fit a 29g in there through the back, but that was it. It was a bit frustrating.
Old 05/30/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Guys...Ive been looking at those Tunze nano stream 6025s and since i am picking up the tank tomorrow I am thinking of having it drilled for two powerheads on the back of the tank (tank has an AGA Megaflow already) while im there. Does anyone know FOR SURE the exact size of the holes i need??? Also, is it smart to do it now before i have it painted?? And lastly, where should i position the holes?? I was thinking since my overflow is in the middle of the tank but slightly to the left... maybe one on the left bottom third area and one one the right of the tank half way up (few inches higher than the left one).

Input please as this is a big move with drilling holes in the tank and i'd like to get it out of the way since ill have the tank in the car.

Diagrams, ideas, etc is much appreciated!

And thanks for tagging along... I'll make sure to take in lots of input and ill kick back some pics.

thanks,
eddy

(knock on wood...)
Old 05/30/2007, 08:16 PM
Master of Funk

Eddy,
You do not need to get the tank drilled to accommodate the Nano Streams (or other powerheads for that matter) they come with magnetic holders that keep them attached to the glass. Magnets are the best way to go, way better than suction cup holders, which WILL fall off at some point.

Because you are getting a "reef ready" tank the only holes you need are already drilled. The only reason you would want extra holes is for closed loop circulation, however, I wouldn't recommend it for a 72. A couple Nanos will get the job done for a lot less money and headache.
Old 05/30/2007, 10:09 PM
Premium Member

I have 2 Hydor Koralia #1 and 2 MJ 1200 one with a hydro flo all attached to a wavemaster pro. I am changing my mag 9.5 main pump to an eheim 1260. I have 4 54W T5 HO with the tek ballasts and the ice cap reflectors.
Tank is doing great after 5 years. I have mainly LPS but in the past few months have been trying SPS with good success so far.
Old 05/31/2007, 03:07 AM
Girls Rule!

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
Eddy,
You do not need to get the tank drilled to accommodate the Nano Streams (or other powerheads for that matter) they come with magnetic holders that keep them attached to the glass. Magnets are the best way to go, way better than suction cup holders, which WILL fall off at some point.

Because you are getting a "reef ready" tank the only holes you need are already drilled. The only reason you would want extra holes is for closed loop circulation, however, I wouldn't recommend it for a 72. A couple Nanos will get the job done for a lot less money and headache.
+1

I would go with the 6045's at least however for a 72. The PH's need to be submerged in the water, drilling a hole in your tank would defeat this purpose, unless again of course you are doing a CL in which case no power heads would be needed.
Old 05/31/2007, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Well, I picked up my tank today and wanted to show off some starter pics but instead I gotta return it due to 2 scratches! I am sooooooo ****ed but I partially blame myself for not thoroughly checking the tank. And on top of that, I called the store as soon as I got home and wiped her down w/ a wet cloth and the owner/mgr is arguing with me that he checked it and the were no scratches!!! The tank had a thin layer of dust and was partially boxed so how could he check it???? He basically said (after i told him i found 2 scratches on the front glass), "I checked it and it didnt have a scratch but all i can do is get you another one next week(with attitude)". Unbelievable.... not only is he calling me a liar but he's lying about checking it also.

This really sux
Old 05/31/2007, 05:44 PM
Master of Funk

I always get a chuckle at the pizz poor packaging job AGA uses on their aquariums. One layer of cardboard, that doesn't even cover all sides, is a lame way to protect a GLASS product! For the price they cant swing a real box with some foam?

Hes probably giving you a hard time because AGA is going to shaft him on the claim. If the LFS doesn't reject the shipment from trucker, AGA will blame the damage on the trucking company. My LFS always has a hard time getting credit for tanks damaged during shipping. If I were a shipping company I wouldn't even accept something packaged that badly, its a claim just waiting to happen.
Old 05/31/2007, 05:51 PM
Moved On

good luck with the tank i have a 72 myself and have enjoyed it very much. for the power heads i have two sieo 820's one in each corner aiming at the middle of the bow and the flow is more than enough for anything you want to keep. i agree with the previous post reg the sump i have a 20 gal and it had to go through the top so get that set before you fill. lighting is tricky on the bowfront because the lack of a affordable wooden canopy, i went with a 48" current fixture it has 4 54 watt t5 bulbs and have never had any trouble keeping corals that require strong lighting. the t5's are awesome i have had halides on other tanks and actually perfer the t5's because they put out alot of good light without the heat. good luck and take it slow, pm me if you have any questions and be sure to check out my tank
Old 05/31/2007, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ghstrider
Well, I picked up my tank today and wanted to show off some starter pics but instead I gotta return it due to 2 scratches! I am sooooooo ****ed but I partially blame myself for not thoroughly checking the tank. And on top of that, I called the store as soon as I got home and wiped her down w/ a wet cloth and the owner/mgr is arguing with me that he checked it and the were no scratches!!! The tank had a thin layer of dust and was partially boxed so how could he check it???? He basically said (after i told him i found 2 scratches on the front glass), "I checked it and it didnt have a scratch but all i can do is get you another one next week(with attitude)". Unbelievable.... not only is he calling me a liar but he's lying about checking it also.

This really sux
Want to see him get an attitude!! When you get your new tank check it thoroughly before you leave the store and then let your LFS know you did not appreciate being called a liar and you will not be back. I am sure there are other LFS stores in the area that would love to help you with your new tank.
Some LFS owners are real A holes. They can always sell the tank, just not MAKE as much, and they are going to make far more than you paid for the tank over the years as you stock, maintain and eventually UPGRADE & UPGRADE & UPGRADE
Old 05/31/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Heres the latest:

I returned to the store w/ tank and same manager tells the sales associate (in front of me) "Make sure its the same scratch you saw". I held back from blowing my top but the look said it all. Unreal, but they will not get any other business from me again.

Moving on to the tank.... The nice sales guy came out and said, " Let me try to remove that scratch with a razor to see if its a scratch or a scuff". And they both came right off!! Awesome!

Here are the pics of my beauty...

The stand is next on the "To Buy" list... Any recommendations???

(knock on wood...)
Old 05/31/2007, 08:00 PM
Girls Rule!

The oceanic upgraded stand with tinted glass front. Looks very nice.

Are you sure it wasn't extra silicone since it scraped off?

Congrats on getting your tank back and going now!
Old 05/31/2007, 08:04 PM
Master of Funk

Ahhhh.. good ol' AGA ingenious packaging. "Hey...lets leave the front glass, the most important piece, totally unprotected"!

The AGA stands are ok. Building a stand for a bow is a pain, so buying one is probably easiest.
Old 06/16/2007, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Update:

Bought some Marineland timers for 12 bucks and a powersurge powerstrip.

Ordered a custom cherry laminate stand and canopy, 2 hydor Koralia PHs, CurrentUSA 15w UV sterilizer. I'll be purchasing my return pump this week and i'm looking at the mag 12 but am not sure if its the right pump for my system.

Guys and gals, jump in here and give me some advice on the pump. Remember i plan on having a 29g sump/ w/ fuge and a Euroreef rs100 w/ the PHs and UV listed above. I think the pump may be more than what i need but i plan on just putting a ball valve to regulate it. Also, due to the heat it emits i want to run it externally.

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!

(knock on wood...)
Old 06/16/2007, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Oh, almost forgot... I need some advice on lights. Im looking at doing PCs w/ actinics and moonlts. I want to keep it under 300 bucks but i want quality...if possible. I will be mounting them to the underside of my canopy so user friendly installation helps.

Do i need a hood? Or a retro kit? Can i use either because the rero kit looks alot more complicated and the hood looks like i can mount it an go. I dont know the diffence between the 2 so please chime in on this.

Thanks again guys.... this forum is AWESOME!!!!

(knock on wood...)
Old 06/16/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

If you're going to skimp on something, don't let it be the lights! You'll just be spending more time battling tank problems in the future. I have a 75 gal Oceanic and I have the Coralife Aqualight Pro HQI w/PCs over it. Getting that light set was the best decision I ever made. I haven't had problems with cyano or hair algae since I got these lights.

I ran my tank with a canopy and a PC retrofit and always had temp problems. The Aqualight provides the better light for a 75 gal tank and it doesn't raise the tank temp much at all. My only complaint about the light set is that the legs aren't very tall and I can't get my hand in the tank without shifting the lights around. I barely can lift the glass lid to feed the fish, but that may not be a problem with a bowfront or if you hang the light over the tank.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06/16/2007, 09:56 AM
Registered Member

The mag 7 or quietone 3000 is the pump you need for that tank. It won't drain any faster that that. I would still use the ball valves as well. You will also need the megaflow accessory kit unless you're going to make your own.

It looks like this:
Old 06/16/2007, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

JP: I have seen those lights and they are nice... I was concerned about those lights raising the temp and then i would need to purchase a chiller but obviously that may not be an issue.

ben:I purchased that kit when i bought the tank... one of the few things i've probably done right.

(knock on wood...)
Old 06/16/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

Guys chime in please with some advice/opinions...

(knock on wood...)
Old 06/17/2007, 12:18 AM
Premium Member

I talked to you on the phone not long ago about the sump design/layout. I would honestly recommend going with the Aquatinics TX5 if you are wanting to be able to keep a good mix of SPS and LPS. One of the things you have to consider going into purchasing lights is what you are wanting to keep in your tank. If you are wanting to keep some SPS then you want to make sure that you get lights that will be able to support their needs. Also if you are going to get mushrooms or some of the other softies, they don't like a lot of light and can burn up under some of the MH's or T-5's.

I personally went with the Aquatinics TX-5 unit because I was going to be able to keep whatever I wanted. The unit was $430 but it was well worth it and it is what I would recommend.

Also as far as moonlights go, I would recommend the FishBowl Innovations Moonlights. They are sold on eBay but have an awesome success rate and are expandable up to 10 seperate moonlight LEDs.

Quote:
The mag 7 or quietone 3000 is the pump you need for that tank. It won't drain any faster that that. I would still use the ball valves as well. You will also need the megaflow accessory kit unless you're going to make your own.
I agree with the Quietone 3000. That is the pump that I bought and it is doing a fine job. The overflow on my Cornerflow is 700gph and the Quiteone 3000 at a 4ft head is roughly 650 gph flow, so it is almost a perfect match with the way I did my plumbing. I would also like to recommend the Stockman Standpipe for the overflow. With my stockman in the overflow, my system nearly never makes noise at all.

Good luck on your purchases, and I love the 72 Bowfront.
Old 06/17/2007, 09:52 AM
One Good Friend

Here's my opinions about your tank, 72 is a good starter, get the largest sump you can fit, the quietone will work fine. If you want a cheap route, you could get the wp700? From aquatraders for around 30 bux, it is quiet and runs well, i've had two of there wp1000's for a year now with zero probs, and they run cool. For a skimmer, i'd pass on the ER and get a oct 200 NW, you'll be able to run it stock and its going to do you better than the er180 anyhow. Plus if you ever want to mod it, its very easy. The hydors were a good choice. As for lights, you have many options. If you want to keep sps with any success trash the PC idea. If your looking to save money, here's what i would do. For a fixture you'll need to go with a 6x54 tek or a aquacintics fixture. I like the aquacintics better. However i would go with a t5 retro instead, to save money. You can go with a tek 2 retro, 4 or 6x54w. You could always start with 4, then add two more down the road. Or you could go with a icecap retro, more expensive, but they are better. If you get the icecap with a 660 ballast a 4x48" will be overdrivven to 4x80w giving you more par. All the ways above will work for sps. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.

Luke